Bear repellant

greybrick

Adventurer
Over the last year or so there have been a couple of fatal bear attacks and several non-fatal but horrific maulings in areas where I often camp along the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains. Given that bears usually shy away from bright lights and loud noise and the fact that I'm a poor shot with a gun, I'm wondering how one of these would work as a deterent if a bear started acting like a predator in camp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Qn_LkOhGg

:REOutShootinghunter

Last edited:

TheGillz

Explorer
Are you serious? That would likely mame whatever it was pointed at and be considered animal cuelty, how would you keep that handy if a bear came in your camp at night while you were in the tent?

I hope your tongue is firmly in your cheek.

4RunAmok

Explorer
In light of the rising frequency of human - grizzly bear conflicts, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert of bears while in the field.

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.

Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear & grizzly bear excrement. Black bear excrement is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear excrement has little bells in it and smells like pepper.
:p

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
DOn't know about the bearzzz, but it would be great for starting that damp wood for the fire:campfire: :wings:

greybrick

Adventurer
Ursidae69 said:
I'm sure that was posted tongue-in-cheek...

Well, yes and and no. :) What I wanted to highlight was that we are into bear season again and maybe everyone should give some thought to what they carry and use for bear control when in bear country. I've always put up an electric fence around my campsite but most of the groups that I've camped near in local provincial camp grounds look like they want to become part of the food chain. ;)

Here's some interesting reading that covers some of the areas where I travel, but probably applies to most other bear areas as well;

Get Bear Smart Society

Alberta BearSmart program

How to Install an Electric Fence

Bears Matter

greybrick

Adventurer
Bear repellant 2

This is more for the benefit of Southern friends, everyone North of the 49th knows what a Bearbanger is and enjoys using them every chance we get. ;)

Military folk will have used them in the past but probably not on bears, think thunderflash training/concussion/breach grenades or really big scary ugly firecrackers with a real short fuse.

My understanding is these aren't commonly sold in the US to the public but I could be wrong on that as I don't often shop in US Outdoor stores. For any US travelers coming up this way stop in at just about any Outdoor sports store and ask for Bearbangers and no you won't get arrested for suggesting indecent acts with wildlife, but it might help keep your campsite and person safe in this neck of the woods. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBlFimKvys&feature=related

Word of caution: Don't ever ever throw a Bearbanger behind a bear. ;)

These are also useful for managing other wildlife behavior, moose, elk, etc.

Last edited:

greybrick

Adventurer
Bongo Boy said:
...and folks wonder why no one is interested in exploring nature anymore.

My response is that I take no part in habituating wildlife for the safety of myself and others.

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
That video is not a bear banger, but some randon explosives video.

I also merged your two threads. No point in 2 threads.

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Best Repellant for 1200+ pound Coastal Browns is HUGE fire power. When you don't have air support, I suggest a Mossberg 590M with Dixieland Ammo Cape Buffalo slugs and / or a .375 H&H. Handguns can hopefully be used to fight your way back to the carrier or shotgun.
:REOutShootinghunter

greybrick

Adventurer
Karelian bear dogs make an effective line of defense as well and never fall into a false sense of hope that wildlife is cute and friendly. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior