Overland Bike Rack Options?

amo292

Adventurer
Hello folks!

As springs rolls around I'm looking at taking my bike with me more places. I currently drive a Tundra with a cap on the back and a Thule roof rack system. I would like to utilize that space but worry about hight. I am also open to a hitch mount but worry about bed access. I am looking to carry two bikes max and I usually have a canoe, Kayak, or SUP. on the roof rack along with them. So what are my options and how do you guys do it?

I know there is a strong bike following here so I am hoping you guys could show me how you take yours with you on the road and trail? Ready go!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
On the road I like my bike up high. Makes it easier to keep an eye on and little more complicated to mess with. Around town local trails the hitch rack is king.

54inch bar can do 30 inch wide box or hull and two bikes. 66inch bar box and hull and bike.

65mph and up bikes and boats will push a 5mpg penalty on the Subaru. On the Sequioa its about a 3-4mpg hit.

lugueto

Adventurer
I've been having the same question.

I'm torn between a spare tire, a roof rack or a hitch mounted bike rack. My bike doesn't easily adapt to hanging style racks because of its frame layout. However, I don't think a platform style hitch rack is suitable because of the departure angle compromise. The roof rack would be awesome but it is usually taken with something else (mostly gas cans, a RTT or an aluminum boat, depending on the trip). I might go with a spare tire carrier with a frame adapter, or a hitch mount hanging rack with the adapter, but that would hinder the opening of the cruiser's single swing out rear door.

When I come up with a solution I'll post, but so far I've failed. Also, quality racks are freaking expensive!! I'm not about to hang a 4000$+ bike from a cheap bike rack, so I need to save my pennies for a good one..

nick325i

Adventurer
I've had several Yakima and Thule roof-top rack systems and one Thule hitch rack over the years. I have only use the hitch-rack on my Rover a few times when my MTB was stolen but it worked well those few times.

I prefer roof-top systems on the passenger cars I've had over the years. They feel safer and you don't have to worry about them moving around. On my pick-ups and SUV's I've had I like the hitch-rack. I tried roof-top systems on pick-ups and SUV's but it's too hard to access for me (5'10") and it's too easy to drive under something that's too low.

Unless you are taller than me, have a step ladder and/or live somewhere open without a lot of overhead clearance issues I would stick with the hitch-rack.

rayra

Expedition Leader
We use a hitch mount with the Tahoe and it has a pivot and pin, You can fold the rack and bikes towards the ground to gain access to the rear glass or whole hatch, without fully removing the rack.
it's a little cumbersome in practice, but it works well enough. And this way anywhere the truck can fit, the bikes can fit.

bike%20rack_zpsmehwzjfo.jpg

fortel

Adventurer
Sounds like from your post you are looking for a way to carry bikes while having boats/SUPs on the roof at the same time. Based on that, either wider crossbars on the roof rack to make room for bikes too or a hitch rack for the bikes seems to be the easiest solution. Is there room inside the bed? You said you have a cap but I have seen plenty of fork mount racks inside the bed. For hitch racks, Kuat is making some killer products. Seems like most quality hitch racks will pivot down with bikes mounted to allow access.

dfroman

I use this on our grand Cherokee and Durango
It is hitch mount that swings out of the way of the hatch. (I have a yeti mb that has a weird frame shape, it fits with little issue)
http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/hitch/swingdaddy#
On my 76 bronco, I use a Thule spare tire mount (the Yakima with the extension needed to clear the spare put the bike way to far off the back) I have it clocked 30 or so degrees to keep the yeti level while mounted
http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...bike-carriers/thule-spare-met-963pro-_-963pro

Sea&Xc

A lot of it would depend on the type of trails you'll explore. I'm also in NH and a lot of the fun roads have low overhanging branches that'll want to grab your bike if it's mounted up high. I go for a solid fork mount (Yakima SprocketRocket) if you put the bike on the roof. A fork mount will be lower and more solid since it's grabbing the fork. An upright style bike mount will sway on rougher roads since the COG is much higher.
If you do the hitch, I'd recommend a tray style carrier. They're much more stout and can handle rougher terrain better. The platforms do stick out further and affect departure angle more but I'd rather drag the hitch vs a low hanging wheel. I use the hanging style since we have 4 active kids in the house.

I have 78" bars on my Suburban and can carry huge variety of gear up top. Box, kayak, canoe, paddleboards and bikes. Only pavement poser pics here but you can get a sense of height and effect on departure angles.

Loaded%20Sub2.jpg

loaded%20Sub.jpg

Bikes%26Boats.jpg

amo292

Adventurer
Thanks for all the input! I guess I should clarify my goals/ setup a bit.

2008 Tundra with the 6.5 bed and a cap. The cap has a Thule square bar system with two 58" bars front and back and two 50" bars in the center. I will hopefully have matching 58" bars in a few weeks.
I do not have a rear tire carrier.
I like the hitch carrier option but need access to the bed and I don't know if the swing rack swing far enough.
I would put them in the bed but that is usually occupied by other stuff including my sleeping arrangements.
I Usually have one of the three boats on the roof at all times. I know I will have plenty of room for two bikes up there if thats the way I chose to go.

Hight is not a problem when getting bikes up there as I am 6-2 and can stand on the tire. But hight may be an issue on the roads/trail as there is a lot of low hanging stuff here in New England.

Am I missing anything else? Thanks again for the input and keep the ideas flowing!

amo292

Adventurer
A lot of it would depend on the type of trails you'll explore. I'm also in NH and a lot of the fun roads have low overhanging branches that'll want to grab your bike if it's mounted up high. I go for a solid fork mount (Yakima SprocketRocket) if you put the bike on the roof. A fork mount will be lower and more solid since it's grabbing the fork. An upright style bike mount will sway on rougher roads since the COG is much higher.
If you do the hitch, I'd recommend a tray style carrier. They're much more stout and can handle rougher terrain better. The platforms do stick out further and affect departure angle more but I'd rather drag the hitch vs a low hanging wheel. I use the hanging style since we have 4 active kids in the house.

I have 78" bars on my Suburban and can carry huge variety of gear up top. Box, kayak, canoe, paddleboards and bikes. Only pavement poser pics here but you can get a sense of height and effect on departure angles.

Loaded%20Sub2.jpg

loaded%20Sub.jpg

Bikes%26Boats.jpg

Wow looks like you bring enough for a few families! Great setup and thanks for the pic's. That helps a lot.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I use both, different scenarios call for different solutions. I have a Yakima roof rack and use fork-mount trays with it. On the back I've used a Thule 937 and now a OneUp 2-tray type. I prefer the trailer hitch mounts best in everyday use and off highway, but sometimes the roof rack makes more sense. Even though it's easy enough to access my truck bed with the OneUp, there's nothing that beats getting them up and out of the way as long as there aren't trees or overhead obstacles.

If I had to select just one solution, it would be the OneUp without a doubt. It's got really good departure clearance, the bikes are rock solid in the mount, never have to worry about hitting stuff above you. The problems is (1) expensive and (b) means a lot of weight leveraged out on the hitch. It's also a little tough to let the rack down to access the bed with bikes in the rack and it's always in the way climbing in and out of the back with it mounted regardless if there bikes on it or not. I usually take it out of the hitch in camp and stuff it under the truck.

I should mention that my situation is a little unique because of the WilderNest. I can put bikes on top but anytime I open it I have to take them off. Plus the way it flips to the side means I can use only very short cross bars, so there's not a ton of room to mount stuff.

truck_front_whiterim.jpg

page67_7.jpg

Last edited:

Elk

Observer
I would look into a Kuat tray type hitch rack. I have used roof, hitch, and spare mounted racks, and with a proper riser adapter, the tray type racks will not penalize your departure angle too much. Yakima, Thule, and Kuat make excellent products in a saturated market. Avoid cheap racks if possible and support your local shop.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
This is what I did for my old rig...
They swing out of the way and are high enough from the ground...
although a bit high it is not that hard to put them up there..

IMAG1798.jpg

IMAG1822.jpg

imag0376-jpg.836952

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94