Land Cruiser 120-Series

zeroland

Adventurer
I've been doing a bit of research on the 120-Series as a base vehicle for #overland trips. Extremely popular in Australia (mostly as a Mum's taxi), available in the UK and branded as the Lexus in the USA.

It's an extremely capable vehicle but lacks the personality to attract overlanders and 4wd-ers to it.

I added a few comments on my blog which might help persuade a few people to look at it... Overland Live: Mum's Taxi

20140406_163947.jpg

20140408_075828.jpg

20140408_163003.jpg

I'm not a local (to the USA, that is), so not sure what the market is like for the 'Lexus' branded 120-Series.

What's your thoughts?

Applejack

Explorer
I think they mostly get overlooked due to the cost. Most have gravitated towards the FJ Cruiser, same platform, more affordable. I think as the prices come down on the used market you will see more of them being used for overland duty.

Viggen

Just here...
The initial cost is not really all that worth it. Used costs are entering the realm of affordable now but in exchange for high mileage.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I really like the Prado/LC120/GX470 platform. It looks really nice, is very capable, reliable, and awesome on the road. I've looked into getting and modding one, but used prices for the US spec GX470 are unfortunately in the stratosphere. Coming down all the time, but still high. They sure are cool though.

A great alternative to the Land Cruiser 100 series.

expeditionist

Observer
I think the GX470 is possibly the most overlooked platform for an overland build here in the states. There is plenty of aftermarket support if you do a little research. I would consider one if they were just a tad more affordable.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I bought a very clean, well cared for 2008 gx470 last summer with 65k miles. As far as used car prices, they were less expensive than the 100 series (100's were also harder to find) with similar miles. Just a shot in the dark here, but I'm sure when they were new they were similarly priced to the 100 series.

Aftermarket support is slowly growing, I wouldn't say it's plentiful but it's getting there. It does help that it shares the same suspension as the 4runner.

Last edited:

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
As far as used car prices, they were less expensive than the 100 series (100's were also harder to find) with similar miles. Just a shot in the dark here, but I'm sure when they were new they were similarly priced to the 100 series.

Aftermarket support is slowly growing, I wouldn't say it's plentiful but it's getting there. It does help that it shares the same suspension as the 4runner.

That's actually how I ended up with mine. I wanted a 100 series (still do, really), but GX470s are plentiful and cheaper. I got a 2005 with just over 100K miles for $16k. A similar 100 series would have been $20K+ and taken months to find. It is a nice travel vehicle but certainly not as well built as a LC, IMO. But it will certainly handle anything I want to do with it. Less space than a 100 series, flakey air suspension, cracked dashes, and a strange rear door are downsides. But it is the same drivetrain as the 100 series in a smaller package - pretty quick for an SUV. I didn't see a big difference between the prices of GX470s and similarly equipped 4Runners, so I opted for the extra space of the GX.

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
That's actually how I ended up with mine. I wanted a 100 series (still do, really), but GX470s are plentiful and cheaper. I got a 2005 with just over 100K miles for $16k. A similar 100 series would have been $20K+ and taken months to find. It is a nice travel vehicle but certainly not as well built as a LC, IMO. But it will certainly handle anything I want to do with it. Less space than a 100 series, flakey air suspension, cracked dashes, and a strange rear door are downsides. But it is the same drivetrain as the 100 series in a smaller package - pretty quick for an SUV. I didn't see a big difference between the prices of GX470s and similarly equipped 4Runners, so I opted for the extra space of the GX.

This is EXACTLY what has me shopping for a GX currently. Seems they can be found around me for $12-14k all day long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles