Adding 7 pin though steel bumper/connection issue

K2ZJ

Explorer
LONG time ago I added a 7 pin connector to my Jeep Grand Cherokee so I could use a trailer to move to Colorado. Since then the wiring/connector has fallen/ripped off my Jeep and I have also added a custom high clearance steel bumper. The bumper uses the stock hitch mounting which is the same as the gas tank skid plate. I am buying an off road trailer that has brakes so I need to add the 7 pin connection again. I want to keep it protected by putting it though the bumper up out of the way. The problem is how the 7 pin plugs connect and mount, you put wires through the hole and the plug mounts on the outside. How would you suggest I connect the wiring if I need to drop the bumper for any reason without cutting and splicing wires? Or do you know of a connector that can mount to back?

20140202w_7pinoutlet03.jpg

rokrawlr

Observer
I would think your best bet would be a set of the Deutsch lock connectors from the auto parts store of your choice in the right amount of wires. They have replacement ones for the headlights, etc. that are sealed and supposedly vibration resistant. Splice them in behind the bumper and then you can hook and unhook to your heart's delight.

K2ZJ

Explorer
That's a good idea. I was thinking of just some spade connectors, but I was worried about them disconnecting and they connect the same as butt connectors which I have had corrosion issues with.

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
If you are worried about corrosion, then you could use dielectric grease on the connection to keep moisture and corrosion away.

Mike

K2ZJ

Explorer
use a hole saw thru the rear bumper. the M416 does not have electric brakes?? =brian

Thanks, the hole isn't the problem, it is getting the wires back out after they are installed in the plug if I want to remove the bumper. It is a Jeep tub trailer with 3500lb trailer axle with electric brakes.

If you are worried about corrosion, then you could use dielectric grease on the connection to keep moisture and corrosion away.

Mike

I had the last ones covered in rubber tape, how long will the grease last in there?

Could you just leave the connector in place where it is and mount a 7 pin extension on the bumper? I'm doing something similar to my winch

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-7-Pin-Trailer-Extension-4-Feet/dp/B0057KB0J8

Thanks, but the connector is long gone, just a four pin and a few wires hanging out the back, so I can make it how I want. So while this possible, it will cost more and require more space than using the connectors mentioned above. The bumper is tucked up pretty tight, I am going to have to work to get anything in there as it is. For you winch these are what I have:

37702FL.gif

Anderson FB350 (350 amp) is less than half the price of the Warn version after buying two and I think the Warn version is the Anderson FB175 (175 amp).

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I would find a 7 pin or a 3 and a 4 pin male and female connector(s) to splice in. I have a Mopar harness which has a 7 pin connector that plugs into the back of the 7 pin receptacle so I can remove it like you want to have. Pic of my mount;

7 pin 001.jpg
7 pin 003.jpg

Last edited:

K2ZJ

Explorer
Thank you, I spotted your pics in another thread and they are what triggered my thinking on this. My old setup was hanging down under the bumper and would get bent and drag often, I wanted to put it though the bumper like your is. I think the route I am going to take the four pin and the Deutsch lock connectors mentioned above, I just need one that can carry the load for the brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94