LR 4 / Disco 4 Auxiliary Battery

mcieplinski

Adventurer
Hi All,

Has anyone installed an aux battery in the spare compartment (driver side) in the engine bay of an LR4 / Disco 4? I know that folks have done it in their LR3 / Disco3 but the spare compartment is a bit different in an LR4 / Disco4 as it is not empty and I believe requires relocation of the stuff that is currently there. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Best,

Michal

mcieplinski

Adventurer

umbertob

Adventurer
It depends on what you would like to add. In my case, I just wanted extra 12v socket(s) in the trunk for a fridge and stuff, plus the capacity to feed a couple of low-power dash cams while parked, so I got the "basic" D3-BS kit. If you are powering a winch or other more power hungry stuff, they have other kits with higher amp isolators, Anderson plugs, etc.

I purchased the kit straight from the manufacturer in Australia, it was a painless (payment via PayPal) and quick transaction.

mcieplinski

Adventurer
It depends on what you would like to add. In my case, I just wanted extra 12v socket(s) in the trunk for a fridge and stuff, plus the capacity to feed a couple of low-power dash cams while parked, so I got the "basic" D3-BS kit. If you are powering a winch or other more power hungry stuff, they have other kits with higher amp isolators, Anderson plugs, etc.

I purchased the kit straight from the manufacturer in Australia, it was a painless (payment via PayPal) and quick transaction.

Thank you. I just purchased the basic one. I am thinking of adding the Anderson plugs. Have you done it?

I saw which battery you used for the aux but have you also replaced the cranking one? I have heard that it is recommended to have two new batteries of the same type....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unseenone

Explorer
Thank you!! This is what I needed. Could you let me know which Traxide battery kit you bought and from which US vendor?

The kits are only sold from Tim at Traxide. Which kit you want depends on what you want to use it for, and how handy you are coming up with your own wiring and plugs, etc. Happy to discuss it with you. Review the previously posted Traxide thread, and drop me a PM if necessary.

racehorse

Adventurer
Thank you. I just purchased the basic one. I am thinking of adding the Anderson plugs. Have you done it?

I saw which battery you used for the aux but have you also replaced the cranking one? I have heard that it is recommended to have two new batteries of the same type....

I would make sure both your batteries are the same kind - AGM for example. I had a lead acid cranker and a optima - agm - for my first go around and seemed like the traxide didn't know what was going on or how to charge them both or discharge them both - the optima went south in little over two years and cranker never let the optima get any juice to charge. I changed them a few months ago to both AGM and the traxide seems to be much happier charging two of the same kind of battery.

umbertob

Adventurer
I also have two AGMs, coincidentally and not because I knew any better... The OEM Varta flooded crapola started giving me grief less than a year after I purchased my car, so instead of taking the warranty freebie from the dealer I decided to splurge for a better AGM battery. I run the Optima as auxiliary and an Exide Edge L5/49 AGM as cranking battery. Been that way for well over a year, no issues thus far.

unseenone

Explorer
I couldn't find Exide around at all, and nobody at the company answers the phone anymore. There was a bankruptcy filing or a huge layoff. In any event-- I finally got tired of the issues with Interstate. I've never gotten more than 2 years out of a battery. Finally on the 5th battery, still under warranty with 6 months to go, would not hold the voltage, and the alternator was working overtime all the time to charge it. The voltage slowly climbed up and up and it will never go into float. After getting the run around, I left, and did some more research. I ended up with a Deka AGM Intimidator, and ordered another for the 2nd battery to test.

I have to say, I was immediately impressed with the company I dealt with in Texas. I e-mailed them about 9pm, and got a phone call shortly thereafter. Bob from http://advancebattery.net/ called me. Took the time to answer my questions, and provided his cell phone number. That is service. Deka is the battery you will commonly find in Ambulances, Fire Trucks, and Military Vehicles as well. I was impressed, and the batteries are made in the US. I was provided a lot of detail about how they are manufactured, you just don't get that. I plan to recommending the Deka for our battery power box after thoroughly testing it as well.

My immediate impressions are that it is an awesome battery. Before (last couple of batteries) the system voltage is always running at 14.1 to 14.5, even up to 14.8 or higher if it's sat a day or so. With the old SC80 Traxide this means, the primary battery is dragging your yellow top, or other battery voltage down. When you keep the voltage down on an AGM, you are going to lose capacity. Starting out with the Deka, it immediately floated and settled around 13.5 volts, and after the first real drive, it settled at 13.2/3. This is great in my opinion, I have never ever seen the Interstate piece of junk lower than 13.7, say, if you drove 500 miles.

The other issue, is with the solar system, I could never achieve float with both batteries, while I could float the Yellow Top in less than an hour.

So, I'm going all Deka and will see how it goes. Presently I've track battery voltage, and approximate temperature year over year. and plan to do a Facebook post, plotting a year in the life of an Interstate battery, versus a Deka.

Here is a battery selector link, bear in mind, the premium AGM is what I recommend the 9A94 for the LR3/LR4 http://www.dekacatalog.com/

Here is a link to an example analysis. http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=11463&pos=0

I'll post up a facebook link once I figure out how to extract the data through an API and post it automatically.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94