Matching Jeep and trailer wheels and tires

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
Okay I had a coworker looking over my shoulder while I have been looking through this thread and we got into a discussion about why would you put the matching wheels and tires on your trailer like your Jeep. He said he would put the most basic road trailer rated tire on there and the main reason for matching all the wheels and tires are only for visual reasons... I was on the other end thinking if a flat happens then you wouldnt need to carry two different tire/wheels. But I'd like to hear from the forum.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
For off-road trailers, it's good to have better ground clearance, and tires with strong side walls. So since you end up with a bigger tires for this reasons it makes sense to use matching tires and rims so you can carry fewer spares, or at least so you can use the trailer tires on the jeep if needed. Also, if you are using stock tires, they can be gotten pretty cheap. How ever if you look around you will note that many jeep guys do care about the looks of their rigs, so you looks play into it too.
Tom

Mitch502

Explorer
^^what he said. Most likely for clearance. So, why not be able to carry 2 emergency spares with you, without taking up any cargo space? And still be able to have your typical spare for if you get a flat at all.

Just makes sense overall.

Plus, looks.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
Thats all I have been telling the guy but when he ask me what I am building a trailer for when I can get a cheapo from lowes. That is true but I would still need to customize to my needs. He doesnt grasp that I would be enclosing it and stuff like that.

In his head... if he doesnt understand it or if he doesnt see any reason for it then it shouldnt be done....

dmc1

Adventurer
What he said. I used the same on my trailer in case I got somewhere and had a mishap. I would much rather leave my trailer sitting there instead of my Jeep. And yes, it is an appearance thing too!

^^what he said. Most likely for clearance. So, why not be able to carry 2 emergency spares with you, without taking up any cargo space? And still be able to have your typical spare for if you get a flat at all.

Just makes sense overall.

Plus, looks.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I used stock JK wheels and tires for a few reasons.

1- I got both wheels and tires for free. You can find stock wheels anywhere because they aren't worth much when so many people are upgrading to an aftermarket rim. Tires are the rubi take off 255/75/17 which I also run on my rig. The ones I had mounted were half treads that a member of my club got as a extras when he bought new tires for his rig. The guy just wanted them out of his garage so he threw them in as well. You don't need brand new tread for a trailer. They wear so much less with the minimal weight they will support. When your rig tires are shot for wheeling there is still enough tread on them that you could run them on the trailer for a lot of miles without any issues.

2- Extra spares for trail runs.

3- Easy extra height for ground clearance.

I thought I was going to be saving money by using the same wheels/tires on my trailer but its probably a wash. I had to buy wheel spacers to clear the trailer hub (just a necessity with stock jeep wheels) which cost me about $100. Then with mount and balance I'm at about $140. I would think trailer tires are pretty cheap and you could probably end up with 3 for about the same cost.

One thing I noticed about your OP,

He said he would put the most basic road trailer rated tire on there

I built my trailer to go off road, I don't want to run a road tire while I'm bombing dirt roads or washes and boulder fields. I took my 85% finished trailer out last weekend for a shakedown. In one place we drove through the trail was fairly narrow and there was a big rock on the driver side. I saw it and made sure to drive around it with my rig, as I got to it with my trailer tire I saw that there was enough curve or whatever in the trial and I totally tagged the sidewall with the rock. I don't know that it would have messed up a road tire or trailer tire but I wouldn't have wanted to find out right there.

I guess I'd add a #4 on my list above, peace of mind that the tire is robust enough to handle rocks.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well I have matching wheels on the Jeep and trailer Level 8 trackers. Tires are all 315/70/17 but trailer tired are retreads and Jeep tires are Duratracs. IMO it is as much visual as it is functional same size tired makes the trailer closer to being level with the Jeep so I know it will go where I can go.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Willys and trailer.jpgAlaska%20remainder%20of%20trip%20012.jpgtrailer and Jeep in front of house.jpg
Maybe a better question is why wouldn't you want matching wheels and tires on your trailer and tow rig???

Couple reasons why:

1. If your trailer gets pulled behind more than one vehicle (and they may not match the trailer's bolt pattern or tire size) you would want to have a dedicated spare on the trailer. My trailer's bolt pattern doesn't match my flat fender's wheel bolt pattern or tire size. I'd rather NOT leave my trailer on the side of the road or trail if at all possible because of a trailer flat tire.

2. I'm running 285/75/16 tires (33") on my Jeep TJ, and my trailer has 205/75/15" tires. And I've still got three more inches of clearance under my trailer's axle compared to my TJ's Dana 44 axle pumpkin. And it doesn't match my TJ's tire size.

3. With the smaller trailer tires it means less weight my Jeep TJ is having to pull (it's only got the 2.5 four cylinder engine). And makes it easier to add a spare tire to my trailer.

4. For about what it cost for my three trailer's 205/75/15" tires and rims I could only buy one matching tire and rim as I have on my Jeep TJ.

5. To a point of course, smaller tires (compared to your tow vehicle's tires) can still take a beating. Before we put the aluminum tub on the trailer we took it up to Alaska and Canada (middle picture) and had no issues.

Trailer build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...ype-trailer-ultimate-build-up-thread-1180456/

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
Recently, I purchased an extra Rubicon wheel and 2 stock Rubicon BFG tires for my Jeep/trailer. I replaced the Rubicon aluminum spare with a MOPAR Winter wheel. Once a tire cover is put over it, nobody will ever know what it is. Anyway, I now have matching wheels and tires for my trailer. I did buy one more Winter wheel and I may use it as spare on my Adventure trailer later.

SamM

image.jpg[SUB][/SUB]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier