Tool Development in Progress

AFSOC

Explorer
I'm confused: Are we mad that he didn't put any info in the advertisement or are we mad that he sells expensive things? :D

Oh no, around here we're never mad that someone sells "expensive things", after all, "an items value is what someone is willing to pay for it".

[disclaimer] I am trying to recall the exact line from that early '90s Economics class where it originated, quote may not be exact.

What gets ganders up around here, are 21st century buzz concepts that encompass branding. Product positioning and proper execution of the schmooze is what we're sensitive to around here.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
I find it quite discouraging that some of the folks posting here are so quick to poke fun and take shots at this guy from the safety of the keyboard. Based on the thread so far, no one here that I can tell has purchased any of his products or know him personally but are at ease putting him and his business venture down because of a promotional post he made to allegedly like-minded individuals. I agree that $20 seems like a lot for a bottle opener, but I bet a couple of you would spend twice that much if it had Snow Peak stamped on it.

I've traveled quite a bit in the last 40 years; border to border, coast to coast, and several places abroad. In all my travels, the true adventurers/explorers I've bonded with in the backwaters of the world act like gentlemen, not obnoxious teenagers. Pretty sad and one of the reasons I'm growing tired of this forum...

ripperj

Explorer
Jerry, the reason I and most others took shots at the guy was that he came here to announce a product, then was all cryptic about what it even was, seemed a bit pointless to me

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

Honu

lost on the mainland
OK DAD !!! (yes read with sarcasm) :)

trying to call some folks out and saying we are obnoxious teens does not make you the gentlemen you claim to be !

and since you surely pointed that at me I would not buy it from SP :) I love there gear but only some of it :)
myself I love the IGT but I even modified a partner steel to go inside (IMHO better stove) and a magma to go inside because I dont believe in getting something based on name alone

and yes I have also travelled the world like many here and met great folks and also met some shady ones to

so when someone asks for your info but wont tell you anything and is cryptic it throws up red flags IMHO big time so myself and others looked at his site ! and drew up our own conclusions !
sorry a $20 can opener that is a freebie give away style and 6 pencils for $5 screams SUCKER and needs a sales pitch to be sold

he never came back here ? to bad great idea but even on the other site to try to sell them as more comfortable ? hahaha OK snake oil alarm goes off once again should have said things like stainless lower maintenance ! packs flat ! going to have a great case (something many of us like are safety for our blades)

all the folks I met also can take a little fun ribbing :)
when you call someone out and they wont respond/explain ? hmmmm

I am writing all this with a smile :) please read the same way :)
those seahorses from the comic mags 40 years ago in my youth ? never bought them but I heard later on they were not sea horses !!!!
not everything is what it claims

sadly this forum has also become a place for folks to come on and pitch there product !
IMHO they should start a vendor area where they can start a thread but should not be able to start threads pitching there items in the general forums !
also if this was for knives he should have started it in the overland chef area !
so if someone wants to come here and mention their stuff in threads about something which I do think many of us are OK with but are getting burnt out on starting threads just to pitch there items !

just like some of the folks now doing reviews starting new threads with only outside links to there blog or store ! most of us I chat with are getting burnt out on that also
just post the full review and then also a link would be better

I find it quite discouraging that some of the folks posting here are so quick to poke fun and take shots at this guy from the safety of the keyboard. Based on the thread so far, no one here that I can tell has purchased any of his products or know him personally but are at ease putting him and his business venture down because of a promotional post he made to allegedly like-minded individuals. I agree that $20 seems like a lot for a bottle opener, but I bet a couple of you would spend twice that much if it had Snow Peak stamped on it.

I've traveled quite a bit in the last 40 years; border to border, coast to coast, and several places abroad. In all my travels, the true adventurers/explorers I've bonded with in the backwaters of the world act like gentlemen, not obnoxious teenagers. Pretty sad and one of the reasons I'm growing tired of this forum...

Last edited:

troyboy162

Adventurer
Its a good post all around. "Expo" has been a prime target for get rich quick products. The community is wising up as a whole. I was happy when the $20 hatchet painted green and selling for $70 was outted a few months ago. That means we are looking out for one another now and less of a group of suckers.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
I think everyone has been good. Some mild mannered ribbing and light humor about a product announcement that, well, wasn't one. The OP actually seemed a little pretentious, in that somehow my time was worth so little that I should be checking back later for an update.

If someone posts something about a cool new thing that really is a cool new thing here, they get great responses. The fellow from Russia that recently built a camp cooker pot holder thing is an example. Great design, really well built, and nobody posted jokes about it. Lots of praise for the recent shower thing, too.

To me this is a forum where people are respectful and well behaved, but also have a sense of humor, a great deal of experience, and are honest about their opinions. It's a good group.

Geodoc

Adventurer
I'll be the first vendor to agree - there should be a vendor forum :) I've posted in this section because I didn't know where else to post (even mentioned that in my original post), but wanted to get the info out to the overlanding community. Having said that, the OP should have come out with what he was offering, not try a sucker pitch (but it got me intrigued enough to read his thread, but I think it's BS not to say what it is). Now, where's that waffle making ray gun?

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
It appears the mob has whipped itself into quite a frenzy while I was gone. I apologize for the delay in responding. A couple of clarification are in order. I'm the first to admit that my first post was premature and came off a bit ************-y. I'm not here to 'sell' you anything. I may have a vendor status and a business name but I'm just a guy who likes to make stuff. I posted here because I thought the product I designed is relevant to your interests and that some of you might like it. If you do, great! If not, that's fine by me also. There's an *** for every seat.

This isn't my first rodeo. I have been doing product design and development professionally for 13 years now. I know what it takes to develop and manufacture products and I have spent plenty of time at factories, both domestic and abroad. Comparing a product that is pumped out by the millions in China with something that is made in small batches in the USA by a small start-up just isn't a fair comparison. Personally I have a preference for high quality products and as a consumer I would rather support a small company manufacturing domestically than something that is cheaply made in China. Particularly if this company is one that cares about our particular community and interests. Quite often it is the same person complaining about price that also is complaining about products being manufactured in China instead of the US, which I find ironic. My bottle opener design looks like any other cheap Chinese opener. You can't see that it has been tumbled for 6 hours so that it feels good in your hand or that it has a Type III military hard anodized coating. But you can feel it. There are plenty of options out there for those looking for low price above else. I'm not trying to appeal to them and I am totally fine with them not buying my product. I make things for the small group of us who are more concerned with quality and with supporting domestic manufacturing. This product is for you. There's a quote which sums it up well: "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten".

I designed the Field Knives because I wasn't happy with the cheap Chinese camping knife that I bought at REI... that started rusting after a week. I wanted a more compact and distilled version of the high quality knives that I use at home, optimized for travel and camping. I have professional kitchen experience so I know what its like to use a kitchen knife 12-14 hours a day. These knives were designed for how professional chefs use their knives, which is why it is less reliant on the grip. This video explains it. I have used these prototypes every day for almost a year now and I find them more comfortable to use than my regular set of kitchen knives. That is partly because they were designed to be used "the professional method" but also due to other design features that I built in. The finger notch helps control, it is more evenly balanced without the additional weight of the grip and the entire knife with the exception of the blade has a full round on the edge which make a big difference for comfort. The handle simply isn't needed if you're using your Chef's Knife correctly. If you're carving wood or fighting a bear then yes, a steady hammer grip is preferred, but if you're chopping meat, fish and vegetables the way you're supposed to, then no. My friend is a professional chef who have started several successful restaurants. He is an avid outdoorsman and fly-fisher as well. He loves the knives and have never expressed a concern over the lack of grip.

If you don't like this design, think it will be uncomfortable or expensive or don't take my word for it. Thats all fine, although I have to say its easy to appear foolish when you're adamantly debunking something that you have never tried, experienced or held in your hand. That said, I'm not here to convince you otherwise. For those of you who are interested in this I highly encourage you to sign up on the list so that you can get notified of the production progress and other updates leading up to the Kickstarter launch because I won't be posting those anywhere else. You can sign up here if you're interested. Thanks for your time.

Tiktaalik Field Knife Set (1) 16x9.jpgTiktaalik Field Knife Grip 16x9.jpgTiktaalik Field Knife Beach (4) 16x9.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
Hahahahaha

Ok you are not here to sell anything ? Ummm yes you are

And the there is a *** for every seat nice way to treat/talk to potential customer base !
Let alone calling other members here that ! Something none of us called you !
Or calling us foolish etc....

And you say not trying to convince us but just wrote 3 paragraphs trying to :)

Yes agree your post came off douchey and your replies seem to confirm that :)

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Nope. Just here to let those who might be interested about the upcoming Kickstarter campaign.

"There's an *** for every seat" is another way of saying "There is something for everyone". Hardly an insult.

I just wanted to provide some background information since a lot of people on here appear to be eager to jump to conclusions based on little to no information.

Hahahahaha

Ok you are not here to sell anything ? Ummm yes you are

And the there is a *** for every seat nice way to treat/talk to potential customer base !
Let alone calling other members here that ! Something none of us called you !
Or calling us foolish etc....

And you say not trying to convince us but just wrote 3 paragraphs trying to :)

Yes agree your post came off douchey and your replies seem to confirm that :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah pointing people to a kickstarter campaign about your product and saying spread the word is selling :) hahahaahahaha you cant even admit that :)

and you ***** comment can be meant as a insult as the way you posted it :) the fact you had to poke at people and call us foolish IMHO shows all that needs to be said and backs up it was a insult !!
the fact you cant even say SORRY I did not mean it that way at all and edit that out ! proves it even further you meant it and are just trying to spin it your way !

any vendor who treats potential customers this way ? WOW !

Nope. Just here to let those who might be interested about the upcoming Kickstarter campaign.

"There's an *** for every seat" is another way of saying "There is something for everyone". Hardly an insult.

I just wanted to provide some background information since a lot of people on here appear to be eager to jump to conclusions based on little to no information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior