M1102 expedition trailer build

sgthawk

Adventurer
Any concern about it getting top heavy?

Good idea for the rack brackets.

All of my camping is in Texas and Oklahoma state park not off the beaten path. inaddition I will be adding a roof top tent

Last edited:

sgthawk

Adventurer
Next step is to find a roof top tent. Can anyone recommend one? I would like to sleep four people and I would like for the ladder to come down though the floor with a full enclosure on the bottom.

sgthawk

Adventurer
I had been contemplating on where I wanted and how I wanted to install the 30lb propane tanks. I just ordered some TB28 brackets from Helmar parts and wil be installing both of them on the extended rail that I buit next to the generator.I will post pictures once I install them.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:

Kingsize24

Damn this thing is huge. Didn't realize the size of these trailers, until you put it into perspective with other attached items. Build looks good though.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I carry 30 lbs as well. I ended up getting 3-10 lbs as they get moved around camp (shower, bbq, stove ,lantern). As far as RTT's...Box rocket sells Tepui, and there is also CVT. Equip sells Eezi-Awn.

sgthawk

Adventurer
Since I don't plan on taking this trailer out on extrem off road use I figure I will pull all of the run flats out of the tires to cut weight. I still haven't decided If I want to drop the tire size down to 35's like my truck.

sgthawk

Adventurer
I carry 30 lbs as well. I ended up getting 3-10 lbs as they get moved around camp (shower, bbq, stove ,lantern). As far as RTT's...Box rocket sells Tepui, and there is also CVT. Equip sells Eezi-Awn.

Do you have any experience with any of these tents? If so which ones? What are the pros and cons?

Last edited:

sgthawk

Adventurer
Very interested in what the loaded weight of this trailer will end up.

Approx added wight so far
Steel 200 lbs
Bumper 100
Swing tire carrier 80
Spare tire 175
Topper 150
Generator 80
Propane tanks x 2 30lb=60lb
Total = 845 lbs
Add 300 lb for roof top tent
=1145 lbs
Add 500 misc camp gear
1645lbs
Trailer weight = 1460
Total weight 3105 lbs approx
Note the M1102 trailer has a max payload capacity of 2740 lbs

OLDH1

Observer
Looks very good and one of the best builds I have seen with the M1102...keep up the great work!

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Do you have any experience with any of these tents? If so which ones? What are the pros and cons?

I had the ARB Simpson III on my trailer and liked it. I originally purchased it from TRDParts4U, which had an awesome price at the time. The draw to that, was the annex, and the ladder was enclosed in the annex, vs. being outside climbing up and down in nasty weather. I'm a big guy, so I thought the mattress was a bit thin, so a topper really helped. I just got tired of crawling up and down, and decided to finish off and sleep on the inside of the trailer. I think the benefits of sleeping on the inside far outweigh the RTT tent, but sleeping off the ground is always a game changer. A RTT is no fun in rainy or windy weather, when it's your only refuge.

I got rid of the RTT for a Command Post Tent which mated up to the back of the trailer,and I loved it, but hated putting up and down by myself all time...it was 300 lbs, but solid as hell, and a true 4 season tent with a woodstove. Obviously weight is a non issue with your trailer, but my M116A2 sent me a thank you card when I got rid of the big tent.

That got replaced by a Foxwing mounted to side with 4 tapered walls, much lighter, and way easier to put up. So far I like it, but have only used it once. It's a huge benefit to have a place to get dressed, take a shower, get out of the weather, etc. off the back of the trailer in my opinion.

As far as the Tepui, I see lots of them out there. I can't personally speak about the quality (I'm sure BoxRocket can hop in here, as he has sold a ton of them as a Tepui dealer), and all the accessories. CVT has sold a bunch as well, they also seem to be popular, have tons of styles and accessories, and are out in Oregon I believe.

I like what you've done, looks to be a really solid based camp platform, and certainly trail worthy as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online