Where did you mount a compressor on a full size domestic truck?

08cummins2500

Looking to install an ARB CKMTA12 dual compressor on my 08 Dodge Ram 2500 along with an air tank, lines for tools and inflation gear, and provision to add air locker(s) later. I would like to keep my truck mostly stock looking and functional, meaning I'd rather not have bits hanging off everywhere, risk the compressor being damaged in the bed of the truck, or add a toolbox which would permanently take up the already limited space in my 6'4" short bed. I'd also rather not have it in the cab, as all the little cubbies are already full of all the junk I've convinced myself I need. Worse still, there isn't much room under the hood with the 6.7 Cummins stuffed in there, so I'm trying to get creative.

I have two ides, and I would appreciate opinions:

1: Under the cab mounted to the passenger side frame rail between the frame and the rocker panels/door bottoms. I've seen people mount compressors for air bags and horns here, but I'm concerned about what it could do to the longevity of my pricy new compressor. I already have AMP Research Power Steps installed, which would provide some cover from sand/mud/dirt/spray, and I could build the bracket in a way to help shield the compressor and install remote air inlets to pull in clean, dry air. The plus is easy access for mounting and servicing. The minus is the potential for ruining the compressor from exposure to the aforementioned environmental hazards. The Power Steps already keep me from thinking about crossing deep water and submerging the mount point since their motors are also mounted in the same area.

2: Just forward of the rear wheel between the sheet metal of the truck bed and the exterior body panel. I've noticed there's sufficient room here (maybe hard to imagine), and this would allow me to mount it much higher up and away from any potential water submersion, and the full wheel well liner should help protect from sand/mud/dirt/spray. The minus here is the difficulty in mounting and servicing.

I should also add that while I hope to explore some remote regions I won't be deliberately entering deep water or mud holes, doing any rock crawling, or otherwise tackling any really technical terrain. I do want to explore beaches, moderate desert tracks, and forest service roads, so in addition to regular highway hazards it should be at least moderately protected wherever it goes.

So, where have you mounted a compressor in a full size domestic truck, what has your experience been with wear and tear/longevity, and am I crazy for thinking of these mounts?

Thanks!

coastal616

Adventurer
I put my tank and compressor on the inside of the frame rails. Something weather proof that can breath and let heat out would be a good idea for the compressor.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Exposure would be my biggest concern.

I don't imagine that it would be that difficult to plumb the air intake up into the engine compartment to keep the filter clean (just be sure to use over sized piping/tubing). If the compressor itself is well sealed - and I imagine that it is - then I'd be most concerned with keeping it clean to reduce heat build up & keep corrosion in check. That calls for more of a splash shield than anything - and probably simple enough to build.

Personally, I ended up not mounting my compressor. I kept it as a portable unit that gets stored under the seat when I'm traveling (I don't carry it all the time). I don't have airbags or air lockers - so no need for a permanent solution. If I go that route, I'll add a smaller, less expensive, compressor somewhere under the hood, & keep the bigger compressor other duties.

I had the same situation, Ford F350 though. Also have the power steps so they use up a lot of easy space under the cab (although I bet I could shoe horn in pretty easy if I tried.) For now I have the compressor mounted on top of the spare tire carrier. Fit up there pretty nicely, relatively protected. I don't have a tank right now and that's something I do want to add.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'd go with a bed toolbox that fits in the rear corner between the wheel well and the tailgate, if there's enough room. Underneath would be good, but not in wet climes. And either way would need some protection, some box of some sort to shield it from road debris etc.

Something like this -

truckstuffusa_2266_216100988

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
There is an enormous amount of space between the frame rails and the bed body on most pickups. So much so that back in the day many pickups came with factory tool boxes there. That is where I'd put my compressor and tank.

rayra

Expedition Leader
IF there's room in the front corner of the bed opposite from the fuel tank, a flanked metal 'bucket' box dropped into a hole cut in the bed floor would be real nice. Have a hatch over the top, inside the bed and have everything in the box. Well protected from damage and abuse underneath, maybe a key lock on the hatch and no intrusion inside the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier