08 Sequuoia- keep going or no

Dan4self

Thanks for all of the feedback. I will keep going with my build. I have some photos of my Sequoia or what my buddies call the Deathstar. I'll add them shortly. Suspension goes on next week.

So in a nutshell yes or no

I am a proud owner of a 2008 Sequoia. It has been the family truckster since I bought it. It has a 154k now and we just picked up a 2014 Tdi Q7. So the Audi isn't going anywhere for awhile. My question is: the Sequoia has hit toy status in my mind (the justification any guy can identify with). Prior to this everything mod has been mild ( nitto with kmc wheels), but I just ordered a Toytec Boss C/O for the front and Bilsteins with Revtwk spacers for the back. Granted I can stop there....... But I find myself wanting to keep going. So....... What would you do? I feel like it is "similar" to LC's as for as the mileage it is capable of a lot more and am incline to proceed with the build up a vehicle I have always "wanted" but not needed.

In my mind the kids are getting older (now 7 and 5) so camping is more likely. It is not a primary vehicle. I'm 38 so it wouldn't be the worst mid life crisis spend. It is just cool.

Items on my list:
Gobi rack
On board air
Dual battery ( already have the fridge)
UCA's

Let the opinions roll

Last edited:

Applejack

Explorer
Sounds great. Just build it if you want to. If you have the means to do so and the patience to deal with all the snafu's that go along with major builds. Personally I like o keep things as simple and stock as I can, only modifying what I need to for what I need my vehicles to do. But this is YOURS do what you like.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I struggle with the same questions but wont be modding mine beyond maybe a new built bumper to replaced the plastic cracked one etc. Two kids 6 and 3. Last weekend the wife and I both two different events ended up hauling kids + friends etc with the Sequioa. I cant see us getting rid of it for a long time, its our third vehicle also. Friend has a Q7 nice ride but his older / larger kids never sit 3rd row too small. He uses it as a sedan basically.

Keep your Sequoia especially camping trips with kids friends tagging along Its near perfect for that sort of thing. Icon suspension seems to be on a big run I like what I hear about their stuff. That would very cool upgrade but pricy. As for the Sequoia 350,000 miles with standard servicing etc is not un heard of. Mine has 84,000 its still a virgin. Ha

Dont laugh but our 2010 2.5L Subaru OB is our primary camping and road trip rig. It just eats up the pavement miles better than the Sequoia. We even are hauling our 4x6 tent trailer with the OB. Some trips for sure we'll use the Sequoia for in the future.

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
There's 215,000 miles on my '02 Sequoia and it has no issues and is still nice and tight. I know that's not 100% transferable to your Gen II, but it's a clue. And you have the advantage of the more powerful engine and modern transmission. Which is to say that I believe you have a good platform to go forward.

I've also had two Hundreds, and comparing them to the Sequoia is a bit apples and oranges. The Sequoia is, and feels, MUCH bigger, both inside and out, though I don't think the two of them drive all that differently, even though the Sequoia is flat-out huge. And the Sequoia is less sophisticated, though not that much. One thing I like about the Sequoia is that it feels more utilitarian and you don't worry so much about scarfing it up with loads and gear, whereas my LX470s, valued quite a bit higher to start with, always had me more worried about scuffing the leather or gouging some trim.

Fuel economy on my Sequoia is a maybe a mpg better than the Hundy; no idea why. Seats in my Sequoia are broad and flat and not as nice, and certainly the interior design is not as slick. But given the significantly lower price, it's a bit of a bargain . . . or (more likely) LCs demand a premium.

Here's the sad thing, though . . . if you are looking for a truck to build out as a hobby, the Sequoia isn't nearly as good a choice because of the severely-limited amount of aftermarket support. There's ten times as much stuff to buy for a Hundy. So to build the ultimate overlanding truck, the Hundred might be better, I think. But if you want to focus more on using the truck with the family, a modestly-modded Sequoia will do most everything the more expensive Hundreds will and give you a lot more room.

p nut

butter
Here's the sad thing, though . . . if you are looking for a truck to build out as a hobby, the Sequoia isn't nearly as good a choice because of the severely-limited amount of aftermarket support. There's ten times as much stuff to buy for a Hundy. So to build the ultimate overlanding truck, the Hundred might be better, I think. But if you want to focus more on using the truck with the family, a modestly-modded Sequoia will do most everything the more expensive Hundreds will and give you a lot more room.

I think it depends on what you want to do. There are many different aspects of "Overlanding", and I'd say for 90% of the people here, even stock vehicles will serve them just fine and get them to a lot of places. I'd say the Sequoia has "good enough" aftermarket support to keep it as a family camping rig--you've got lift options, can get custom bumpers from numerous builders. If you start getting into rougher trails/rock crawling, maybe it is time to switch to a more robust LC platform. But dare I say for most of us, all that stuff on our trucks are just frosting on the cake.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
There's 215,000 miles on my '02 Sequoia and it has no issues and is still nice and tight. I know that's not 100% transferable to your Gen II, but it's a clue. And you have the advantage of the more powerful engine and modern transmission. Which is to say that I believe you have a good platform to go forward.

I've also had two Hundreds, and comparing them to the Sequoia is a bit apples and oranges. The Sequoia is, and feels, MUCH bigger, both inside and out, though I don't think the two of them drive all that differently, even though the Sequoia is flat-out huge. And the Sequoia is less sophisticated, though not that much. One thing I like about the Sequoia is that it feels more utilitarian and you don't worry so much about scarfing it up with loads and gear, whereas my LX470s, valued quite a bit higher to start with, always had me more worried about scuffing the leather or gouging some trim.

Fuel economy on my Sequoia is a maybe a mpg better than the Hundy; no idea why. Seats in my Sequoia are broad and flat and not as nice, and certainly the interior design is not as slick. But given the significantly lower price, it's a bit of a bargain . . . or (more likely) LCs demand a premium.

^ Agreed. I had a very nice 80 series mint condition. Sold it for the added space and improved handling, mileage and safety systems. Side by side surprisingly they were very close in external size. 08 Sequoias grew though.. I sorta see the gen 1 Sequoia as an adult 4runner. Did a trip with our local G wagen group just north of the Rubicon the Sequoia was pretty damn good. The lead G and organizer is an old friend. He agreed rear locker and some basic skid plates and dumping the soccer mom side steps it would be a very impressive machine off road. Lacking a rear locker was the weak point, one spot took three runs and some road building to get the Sequoia to climb through a off camber solid rock section 18lbs in BFG Rough terrains stock size worked great zero issues otherwise.

p nut

butter
^ Agreed. I had a very nice 80 series mint condition. Sold it for the added space and improved handling, mileage and safety systems. Side by side surprisingly they were very close in external size. 08 Sequoias grew though.. I sorta see the gen 1 Sequoia as an adult 4runner. Did a trip with our local G wagen group just north of the Rubicon the Sequoia was pretty damn good. The lead G and organizer is an old friend. He agreed rear locker and some basic skid plates and dumping the soccer mom side steps it would be a very impressive machine off road. Lacking a rear locker was the weak point, one spot took three runs and some road building to get the Sequoia to climb through a off camber solid rock section 18lbs in BFG Rough terrains stock size worked great zero issues otherwise.

Later gen Sequoia's came with ATRAC, I believe. That may even negate the need for a locker in a lot of the cases.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Later gen Sequoia's came with ATRAC, I believe. That may even negate the need for a locker in a lot of the cases.

Yes true. They will brake the spun opposites and the open diff will drive power across to the wheels still on firm ground. That would have made my effort a simple drive on the first attempt.

drobb

Adventurer
Keep it.... Do few minor mods and you have a great fun toy. Check out my build...fairly simple, but it gets us allllllll over the desert :)

amo292

Adventurer
Go for it! I have always wanted to see a modded Sequoia. It would be one of few for sure. I drive an 08 Tundra and its a great platform. Good luck!

Dan4self

The beginning of another build thread

DSC_0137.jpgDSC_0138.jpg

Here is how my Quoia sits today. Currently measures 21" from center of the hub to fender line for the front and back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior