Turbo Tent users, step inside please

So the other tent I ordered from Amazon is back ordered, and the wife gave me permission to up mt budget :wings: I've been looking at the Turbo Tents from Black Pine and have a few questions. I've seen some reviews, but they are older. Anyone having any problems with their tent? What are pros and cons of going with the canvas version vs. the nylon version? I've also been looking at the 8 man tents, does anyone have any experience with them? It will be used for car camping with the family (Wife and I, 2 small kids, and a few dogs), so size and weight are not an issue (I have a Suburban). A member here is selling a used 6 person nylon version and Costco has a road show going on right now, so I can get them cheaper than normal right now.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
Check overstock.com before you buy from the Costco roadshow.

Their warehouse is a few miles from where I work. I went over there last year and talked to the guy about the tents. They get a lot of returns from the roadshows and can't sell the tents as new so they clearance them out to overstock and ebay and local classifieds. They also have "seconds" from the factory they sell for cheaper as well. I bought the 6 man (think thats what it was, its BIG) last year for like $250. I can fit two full size cots in it with a big aisle down the center. I have a canvas one which is ripstop. One of the outer window coverings isn't the ripstop so that is why it was discounted.

We had a local club run over the winter solstice out on the mud flats west of SLC. It poured rain all night long, it was really coming down. I thought I was going to have water inside the tent in the morning but I didn't I was super happy.

The only beef I have with the tent it its size when stowed. I have a '13 2 door wrangler and it was difficult to get it inside with all my other gear. I know you said you had a Suburban but the tent is big and heavy and still means its taking up space in your rig and at home.

Here is a local classified link to check out. 4 man for $250

Here is the 8 man in the local classifieds for $300.

Edit: I guess overstock has the 6 person for $675. The classified ad I linked to has the 4 man for $250. I'm sure the 6 man would be a little more but not a ton.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Adventurer
The think I really like about this tent is that it doesn't rely on stakes to stay up like the Kodiak or Springbar tents do. While I love Springbars its a huge hassle to get all the stakes in. You do need downward tension on the corners to push the top up but you could use stakes, gear, or if you're in a bind have some friends stand on the corners. After my rainy trip to the mud flats I pitched it in my garage using cinder blocks on the corners so it would dry. It worked but wasn't ideal. I'll try and remember to check back here to answer other questions if you have them.

djxrshNl.jpg

AdQK5Bsl.jpg

Check overstock.com before you buy from the Costco roadshow.

Their warehouse is a few miles from where I work. I went over there last year and talked to the guy about the tents. They get a lot of returns from the roadshows and can't sell the tents as new so they clearance them out to overstock and ebay and local classifieds. They also have "seconds" from the factory they sell for cheaper as well. I bought the 6 man (think thats what it was, its BIG) last year for like $250. I can fit two full size cots in it with a big aisle down the center. I have a canvas one which is ripstop. One of the outer window coverings isn't the ripstop so that is why it was discounted.

We had a local club run over the winter solstice out on the mud flats west of SLC. It poured rain all night long, it was really coming down. I thought I was going to have water inside the tent in the morning but I didn't I was super happy.

The only beef I have with the tent it its size when stowed. I have a '13 2 door wrangler and it was difficult to get it inside with all my other gear. I know you said you had a Suburban but the tent is big and heavy and still means its taking up space in your rig and at home.

Here is a local classified link to check out. 4 man for $250

Here is the 8 man in the local classifieds for $300.

Edit: I guess overstock has the 6 person for $675. The classified ad I linked to has the 4 man for $250. I'm sure the 6 man would be a little more but not a ton.

I've looked at the local ones here in SoCal, and none are that cheap, and the cheapest guy on craigslist never calls back.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
In those local ads he says he'll ship. I asked him about that last year as well and he said he was fine doing that too. It might still be cheaper to buy from him and pay for shipping than pick one up at Costco or in your local classifieds.

The first tent he wanted to sell me last year was the demo tent from a Costco. It was a fair amount cheaper than the one I bought but it had been opened and closed so many times I could see wear on it. If you do buy from him I'd just make sure to tell him you want one that is in "like new" condition and not one that had been the demo or display unit.

racehorse

Adventurer
I have a four man black pine. Used a few times. Once in really fierce wind - this is where those stainless cantilevers shine. That thing barely nudged. It's really like a house when you get it up and locked in. The canvas is top notch quality. It's a quality tent. Coleman makes a similar pup-up tent for reference but it's really a toy compared to the black pine.

So why I have decided to put it on the shelf? Like nnmate up higher - this tent is a beast to carry around when you're used to having used small, nearly tiny tents compared to this thing when stored. I have an LR3 and the tent is heavy, lays awkwardly in the back, isn't easy to get back into the storage bag (for me anyway). It kind of defeated my purposed of having a tent I could unload and pop up in minutes.

That said, it's a great tent once you get it unloaded and unpacked. Would be great for someone who is just throwing a bunch of stuff into the back of a pick up bed.

Last edited:

foeix

Keep an eye on their eBay page here. I have a 6 Person Deluxe (Canvas) that I picked up for $220. It's been a great tent. Creates serious envy when it goes up immediately when other are struggling with poles. Honest deployment in less than 5 minutes sans rain fly. I do agree that it packs quite large - which has had me look at OzTents which fits a bit better on a roof rack. For $220 I have been very impressed - but might have regret at $500+.

16950102732_e96e301ad7_k.jpg

14957361044_2146db8033_c.jpg

Last edited:

Biggunns

I have the 4 man and 8 man turbo tents and I really like them. They are big but the set up and take down is so fast and they are great sizes.
I've had a rough time with high winds on two occasions where we ended up ditching the trip because the wind was just too strong. On one occasion it broke a joint and on another trip the stakes were getting ripped out of the ground. I kind feel like both were pretty extreme conditions.
Honestly I wouldn't pay full price for them, I would connect with the people selling them as seconds and work out how to get it delivered, we have family in Utah so we made the trip up to get the tents and saw family for a few days.
Our 4 man was missing the rain fly so we got it dirt cheap and it's pretty much waterproof without it.

Ryan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grogie

Like to Camp
I bought the three man tent about five years ago (which I don't think they're selling anymore?). It's perfect for two, as it has a lot of room inside. Wow! It is a turbo tent! Goes up in seconds and the frame clicks together, and breaks down just as fast. It also has an rain fly that goes over the outside frame so that it has good air space between the two (and the rain fly clips to the base). Mine also includes a small room on the front (that also has it's own screen), which is great for storing the chairs at night to keep them dry, or just sitting under it when it's raining.

As others have said, the tent stands on it's own just fine. The only reason to steak it is if your in a hurricane. It's really a well designed and engineered tent. I've had no problems with the joints as everything is still tight, and it fits easy into its bag (bag has plenty of room inside).

dsc07240b.jpg

dsc06933zm.jpg

Of course, I now have a Tepui RTT on top of my trailer, so the Turbo Tent won't get used as often anymore. However I still want to keep it as it's a great tent for use as an extended base camp. I would buy it again. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

foeix

I bought the three man tent about five years ago (which I don't think they're selling anymore?).

They have a few every now and that come up on their eBay outlet. What is the packed length of your 3 person? BlackPine doesn't list packed sizes anywhere!

Thats the one struggle I have with the 6 person - its 48in long and my cargo area is 44in.

Jakes01234

Explorer
I used the link in post 2. Came to $291 delivered to MA. It will be here Tuesday and I will pop it up in the warehouse and see how it is.

Just clicked link to look at something. They raised the price to $350. Glad I ordered it when I did.

grogie

Like to Camp
They have a few every now and that come up on their eBay outlet. What is the packed length of your 3 person? BlackPine doesn't list packed sizes anywhere!

Thats the one struggle I have with the 6 person - its 48in long and my cargo area is 44in.

It's up above my garage... not easy to get to, but you'll see it in this picture on the bottom. It's less then 2-1/2 ft. or so I'd say.

jfdv.jpg

Great tent

I have the Turbo Tent Freestander 4. Bought it at Costco for a great price. It is the best tent I've ever had for vehicle based camping. Effortless to set up and pack away. Fits great on the roof rack of my Jeep. No regrets and would buy again.

Jakes01234

Explorer
I have the 4 person deluxe whatever it's called.
These things are fantastic. I'm very impressed with the quality of the canvas and the legs. Pops up on 2 minutes tops and down in about the same. I couldn't wait to play with it so I put it in my living room.
93b904ddd33513e446abda3e6083b1f5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz