Camera under the van to see the crazy stuff we travel over?

e350vegas

Observer
Has anyone placed a camera under their vans to see the crazy stuff we travel over? As I work on my build ...I ran across a post where someone had a back-up camera system that was 3 camera capable.....got me thinking....one in the rear, one right out front and one behind the front transfer case to see....? Got to be IP68 or better....since I like to go in water - but that would be cool too!

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Maybe what I should be looking for is simply the car stereo that I like, then a video switcher that would cycle through several inputs and into the stereo's single source.

Because I just talked to Crutchfield and to get the stereo with two inputs you have to go up to at least a $600 Pioneer head unit, 6.2 inch screen

landyachtcaptn

Observer
I've been thinking about this for a while now, the technology is certainly there but I don't think anyone makes one. I'd love to see a 4+ camera system that would show on one screen at the same time throught the input on my DVD radio.

tgreening

Expedition Leader

I was checking that out and came across one that also had backup sensors, and that got me thinking. I want to put the cameras on my Ambo conversion as a security feature and a thought occurred. Could you not use a multitude of those backup sensors around the perimeter of your van as discreet motion sensors? I think they're short range enough you wouldn't have to worry about false triggers, and they'd only come on if someone got closer than they ought to.

Thoughts?

Cole

Expedition Leader
I typically look where I'm driving. So I see what goes under the van long before I get to it :coffeedrink:

.....seriously, what do you expect to see down there?

derjack

Adventurer
I would suggest to just use any of these action cams. like a go pro or any other brand. These include everything you need! They are optically stabilized! record internally. And videoquality is way better compaired to Rear view cams.

There are action cams with 4K. The ones above have qvga. This is roughly 10 the resolution! I don't see a reason to use a cam with such a bad quality.

PS: I personally will go for a different approach:
https://youtu.be/tB-S1fV3nZM
The newer ones can follow up to 55mph.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I can think of some great reasons.

Back up cams start at $8 on eBay or Amazon vs a GoPro that is hundreds.

Back up cams can be permanently mounted and wired into an in can screen.

Nothing you are trying to see under, or behind you rig is worth seeing or recording in HD.

Backup cams come with IR night vision for seeing in the dark(seeing stuff like animals in the woods)
You could mount 4 roof cams, a front and rear cam, mirror side cams and even the belly cam for less than one GoPro.

I've used my GoPro and cell phone in a pinch as a temporary backup cam, but both most be charged and the GoPro only lasts a few hours on a charge. So keeping an eye on a trailer on a long trip is much easier with the true backup camera.

Theft! Nobody is really trying to steal permanently mounted tiny backup cams. A GoPro would vanish in a heartbeat.

I would suggest to just use any of these action cams. like a go pro or any other brand. These include everything you need! They are optically stabilized! record internally. And videoquality is way better compaired to Rear view cams.

There are action cams with 4K. The ones above have qvga. This is roughly 10 the resolution! I don't see a reason to use a cam with such a bad quality.

PS: I personally will go for a different approach:
https://youtu.be/tB-S1fV3nZM
The newer ones can follow up to 55mph.

e350vegas

Observer
I typically look where I'm driving. So I see what goes under the van long before I get to it :coffeedrink:

.....seriously, what do you expect to see down there?

********.....somewhat for the kids and a DVR set up for "trip movies". But it will also come in handy for the many many times I have to deal with rocks large enough to cause issues if I don't place my tire correctly. Last weekend my buddy was following me in his Raptor (in 4x4 low with rear lockers locked - as I rolled in 4hi and no lockers even thought of yet)...he told me a dozen times I was close. SO MY TIRE PLACEMENT WAS GOOD....but....

My van is often at very slow speeds dealing with crazy trail ruts, rocks, big pitches, and other random trail debris with 4-8 kids inside.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior