Where do you park your Mog - pics?

polishammer

It looks like I'm getting closer and closer to getting a Mog. Have been looking for a long time, and hope to get U1300 sometimes soon. It will be used strictly as a fun toy, no expedition type escapades, maybe occasional camping trip. But have two questions.
First, will the standard cab fit 2 adults and 2 kids? Or should I look for Doka style?
And second, where do you guys keep your Mogs? I'm sure not everyone here owns large property with unlimited storage. Suburbia type guys, where do you keep your Mogs? Pics would help.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
The shed is actually to top (Hay loft) of an OLD barn. It was put on skids and used as a cattle shelter for years until I acquired it.20131110_130650.jpg

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
For that kind of payload (two adults, two children) IMHO you'd be looking at a minimum DoKa.

Another option depending on what kind of Expo camper you want is the Ziegler 9 seat FireDoka. They are usually low mileage, well maintained, and a bit cheaper (due to it being a conversion cab by a body builder like Ziegler, rather than Mercedes themselves) and long wheelbase. You'd have to put real seats and belts in, but some of the space in the cab could potentially be used as part of the camper? Also being a firetruck they are cheaper in the duty department for import (I think no duty for fire trucks, but check with your importer) as well as just getting to the legal US age for importation if applicable (25+ years, not sure where the OP is from, Canada is 15+ years)

Added bonus being firetrucks they are usually fitted with the high speed axles.

Attachments

• municipalutility-machinery-fire-truck-UNIMOG-U1300L37---22_big--14100916260420093300.jpg
    municipalutility-machinery-fire-truck-UNIMOG-U1300L37---22_big--14100916260420093300.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 36
  • municipalutility-machinery-fire-truck-UNIMOG-U1300L---1_big--15022512262260603300.jpg
    municipalutility-machinery-fire-truck-UNIMOG-U1300L---1_big--15022512262260603300.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 36
  • municipalutility-machinery-fire-truck-UNIMOG-U1300L37---3_big--14100916260420093300.jpg
    municipalutility-machinery-fire-truck-UNIMOG-U1300L37---3_big--14100916260420093300.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

polishammer

I looked at one of those and you are right, they can be found for much less that a standard Doka and it seems that there is more availability. BTW, I'm in Texas, US. I was afraid that standard cab would not cut it, even for shorter trips as the kids will only get bigger.

As to importing, that might be an option, but there are sure many of those available in Europe for much less than in here. But add freight and brokerage fees and we are getting closer.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kiomon

Adventurer
Yeah you definitely need a doka if you are going to travel on the road with your kids as other wise you wouldn't have enough seat belts and it would be too cramped. Don't rule out Europe, it's not that difficult to import yourself. You buy it, and then just arrange shipping just like they do. You then take all of your paperwork to dmv and you will have your Mog license and regs in an hour. It's quick. And US doka prices are a little nuts.

As far as parking. Unimogs are tall but they aren't terribly wider nor longer than a full size american pickup, like a F350. I have parallel parked my expo camper mog in NYC, LA, Chicago. I have also been towed on a standard flatbed tow truck, no crazy low boy wreckers or anything like that. So I think if you have a spot for a big pick-up then you have space for a mog. The key item is height. I think before the adding my camper box, I was still around 9.5ft tall. With my box I am 11.5, so garages and parking structures need to be 12ft to be safe. It's height that I have found with mogs to be a key consideration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke