The GeoTaco - 2003 Tacoma DC 4x4

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Long time lurker...small time poster here on EP. Mostly in the Nissan forums, as my former wheelset featured a burger logo.

Well...off with the burger and back to the taco! :sombrero:

This build will be more expedition centric than my Xterra was, and looking forward to chronicling the build both here and over on SCCX.

I bought a Tacoma pick up to provide a new project format for my wife Daphne and I.

I found the GeoTaco after looking at several Tacomas in Southern California.

The search

The infamous "frame rust" issue...sorry red, no go...

This one was nice...but at the high end of our budget...and with a 3" lift and blown CV already...no thanks!

I settled on this 2003 black Tacoma...a one owner sold locally here in SD...as it had the eye catching black paint and silver accents...wife approved!!

Those of you that know us personally will understand... ;)

The find

Here is a picture of the GeoTaco the day we picked it up, just over 165,000 miles on the clock and ready to undergo its transformation:

The following posts will chronicle the GeoTaco as it gets modded and enjoys it's broadened scope of ownership.

Hope you enjoy the build!

John/Geosense

Last edited:

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Future Plans:

-install Kenwood TM742a ham radio and Diamond tri band antenna

-install 1" front lift, Daystar

-eventually procure an OME lift, front and rear

-finish bed organizer system

Last edited:

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Necessary repairs:

-fix leaking AC system. Ordered O-ring replacement set, install tomorrow

-greased both drive shafts, 3/28/15

Last edited:

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
New Tires

So, two things had to go right away...the dilapidated Rugged Trail T/A's...and the "sexy" side steps.

Off to Discount Tire in Oceanside, where my goal was to get a set of Falken A/T's...but alas, "out of stock..." was the response. Soooo, Jerry took me back and showed me a set of the new BFG A/T KO2's....wow...sold!

Mounted...

More tread siping than the original KO's:

Last edited:

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Side step removal

Trucks are meant for this:

NOT this:

So, off they came...sold on CL the next day!:

Next up...time to modify the bed for the ARB fridge mount and more storage options.

scoolbubba

I miss my first gen Taco. It really was the little engine that could.

The 2014 was a terrible replacement. Good luck with the build...enjoy that truck!

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
The Bed Organizer: aka, Adventures in Plywood

The thought was to build a modular plywood base, with a slide out option for the ARB 50 quart fridge...making for easier access and loading of food/beverages etc.

I pulled/poached a set of filing cabinet drawer sliders from an old cabinet sitting in our back yard...and then headed off to Home Depot for some 3/4" plywood. I cut a basic sheet of 4'x8' plywood, and used the left over pieces to fashion both the fridge mount as well as some Rotopax mounts in the rear of the bed. The plans also involves a cut out/strap system for my propane and newly acquired Camp Chef Ranger stove (hat tip to Steve C., thanks for the inspiration!!).

Here are some photos of the plywood fit/cut/and install:

ARB fridge slider base with ARB clamps mounted:

Drawer sliders drilled for extra mounting screws into 3/4" plywood:

Slide coming together...first test:

Fridge mounted and extended:

I also started the test fit of the Rotopax at this point, making sure the fridge slide had enough room to accommodate the Rotopax mounts on each side. I used two cut down 3/4" pieces of ply, wedged up into the edge of the bed with plumbing cellocore pipe foam as a jam force for the top. Then I used 90 degree plate steel to screw mount at the bottom of each wedge piece.

Meanwhile...this arrived:

Softopper!!!

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
After seeing Clint/Motorpig's cool Softopper in action on The Mojave Road 2014 and again at The Bradshaw Trail this year, the plan was to acquire one before this year's Mojave Road trip. Soooo...after talking with the Softopper folks, and picking out and ordering a gray Softopper...we were surprised to discover they had sent...a black one instead! I actually like it better...black on black. Insert inappropriate jokes below...

"What's in the box? WHAT'S IN THE BOX!?!?" (name that movie):

Black cover instead of gray:

Installing the bed frame and canvas structure...really impressed with the Made In The USA construction:

The sun was going down, and the coastal chill was setting in...making the final pull and stretch of the material a real %$#@ of a job. So, after some serious stretching, the final snap went in and I left it for the warmer sun of the morning:

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
The morning sun made a HUGE difference...as well as the overnight stretch session. The Softopper was really taking shape, and I have to admit now...I like the lines of the truck with it installed.

Sun warmed Softopper installed:

And with the sides rolled up...you can really see the aluminum structure. This folds forward if you want full access to the bed...very cool and versatile design:

Next up...bed mounted Rotopax for my 3 gallon cans.

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Deconstructed, sanded and primed the base of the bed organizer.

Went to HD and had them mix a gallon of their Behr Alkyd paint for the plywood. Space black was the color.

6fdeeb22bb38f5eda7abec0bda6d4f7b.jpg

4f1c43e37049b01ea5e402bd08e665b3.jpg

28d019bf58029ad212c255a6bc2b6ceb.jpg

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Oh, and since we incorporate geocaching into all of our off road expeditions, added this little guy:

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94