NEW 2015 3/4t 4x4 pickup CHOICES/features/value/reviews/experiences/etc.

Freebird

Adventurer
I guess just a bias I have to work through....? I am weighing and analyzing....
The aluminum f250 should have a 6-800 lb increase (?) in payload, making the numbers work..is what I'm hoping....
That is why I'm researching all I can in the interim. When the payload numbers come out on the Al rig, it will fit, or not.
But until I sign the paperwork on a new truck, I'm info gathering. Might help scratch an itch, but I know it will help me feel better about my final decision if I have done due diligence.
Lot to consider with the price tags involved.... A lot of $$... At least for me.

chet6.7

Explorer
This is the OP.
Use would be to haul a Truck camper, both on and off pavement, plus do some trailering.
Not planning on rock crawling, but wash boarded roads, and forest circus roads, would be frequent.
Leaning towards diesel, but only if it makes sense.
I want best off road/washboard road ride possible if I don't have to give up too much to get that.
Would be used bare some, too, so don't want to move up to one ton.

Thanks for the responses. I hope this gives a better picture.

If you are talking about a slide in camper,you should be looking at a single wheel 1 ton.
I don't think Ram recommends the 2500 for a slide in camper,maybe Ford or GM do, check that out before buying.
I have read that if you replace the spring pack of a 1 ton Ram with a set of Deaver springs the ride is pretty good,I think this lowers the trucks payload by 500 lbs.Carrying a few hundred pounds in the back will help when the camper if off.
The other mod is big shocks,I don't recall reading a post by anyone complaining about the ride of bigger shocks,think 2.5 shocks or better.

I have a 14 Ram 2500 CTD SWB,my camper is an ARE DCU,the 2500 is fine for that,no need for a 1 ton.The ride of the rear coils is nicer than any of my LWB leaf spring trucks of the last 30 years.

Freebird

Adventurer
Update:
Well, I ordered a 2016 F-350 extended cab 4x4 diesel today. Estimate is 8-12 weeks till delivery. Lariat trim level.
Dual alt. ordered for camper use. Aftermkt retracting automatic side steps/running boards ordered, which the dealer will instal on arrival. The SS/RB drop down lower than the factory fixed ones, so my (short) wife likes the easier cab access.
I needed a pickup for misc chores at this point, so decided not to wait, since the Aluminum bodied ones won't be till 2017.
I am quite sure this pickup will suit my needs on a long term basis.

Freebird

Adventurer
Thanks!
Price is pushing 60k real hard (price increase with model change, of course) and that is without those aftermarket running boards that are sooo nice (for the short wife) and that adds about $1500 plus a bit.
It is dealer sticker (price from Ford to dealer) plus $500, then minus any factory rebate that apply at the time. They anticipate not much rebate. A small rebate happens for Ford financing, too.
Of course on top of that there is sales tax, registration fees, license fees.......

The dealers want to sell you what is on the lot, or available through dealer trades, and will sharpen their pencils a bit to do that, especially towards end of month, year, or model year.
Manufactures give and adjust the size of rebates as necessary (within reason) to keep sales happening and factories producing.

If you wanna dance to the music, you have to pay the piper.....

Paul B.

Adventurer
Perfect choice. I've been watching this thread, I was thinking you should get the one you ended up with. I've been in construction my whole life (born in '58), and whoever said 3/4 ton trucks are a way station on the trip to a 1 ton was spot on. 3/4 ton is not a situation to be in for the $$$$$ you're talking about putting into an XP and a new truck. You're retired? You need the right truck the first time. Good work ordering it, too. Best of luck.

Freebird

Adventurer
Paul,
Yep, retired.
I will likely wait a bit (just like I waited on the truck? Lol) and continue to evaluate options on the TC for this truck. I'm definitely sweet on the XP-1, but it is quite dear $$ since it is low volume, hand made, no direct competition manufacturing. Good quality, great materials, and well thought out (layout/floor plan/size efficiency), though.

I have a 10' 2002 Alaskan camper that will serve quite well while I ponder what to do (long term) on the camper front.
I like the Alaskan a lot. I bought it used, and, unfortunately, the CO bed is not Alaskan's larger/wider option. A wider bed would much be preferred. Also N/S (aligned with vehicle) sleeping would be a big plus for not having to crawl over/wake my sleeping bed partner for an early morning mandatory potty visit.
The Alskan camper I have also has no shower. That is by far the biggest drawback.to being happy with what I've got. Rumor has it Alaskan can do that now, but there are better options today than wood construction in a new purchase TC - in my view.
Priorities are being weighed & juggled here.... Again.

Paul B.

Adventurer
at one time I thought to buy a brand new pop up camper, and I looked into all the different models. I would have immediately bought an XP if I had the money. I believeif you can afford it, its hands down the best option. But if you go to go slightly less $$$ probably FWC is the way to go. if you frequent the pop-up camper forums you probably know to stay away from Phoenix.

Freebird

Adventurer
I will update this thread further as the chosen ordered truck goes into production (they will let me know), then again about delivery.
I will post on my camper selection process in the appropriate threads when I get deeper into my camper research.
I'm trying to cast a wider net at this point in time to make sure I have explored all option$.....

smlobx

Wanderer
I'm glad you went with the F-350.
I have one (I'm in construction) and as long as you're not into rock crawling I think you'll be fine. I'm just starting to look at campers for mine and right now the FWC Grandby is on the top of the list. I like the idea of a low center of gravity that should also yield better mileage going down the road.
Be sure to post picks of your new rig when you get it!

Freebird

Adventurer
Well, it will be nothing special to look at. Just a new all white pickup.
We live in high desert central WA where it gets hot in the summers and is somewhat dusty almost year around, so a person really has to like dark pretty colors to chose them on an ordered vehicle over white. (Opinion, obviously)
Interiors of white cars on a hot day get plenty hot here. Don't need the extra hot interior from a dark exterior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94