NEW 2015 3/4t 4x4 pickup CHOICES/features/value/reviews/experiences/etc.

Freebird

Adventurer
How about discussing TODAY's new rigs that money can be plunked down on. 3/4t offerings. For fun, let's throw in the anticipated 2016 "improvements"....
It looks to me like the big three have all "Upped their game" a lot in real recent time.
So, ancient history does not matter here. Yes, all three have had major stumbles in the past. Documentable.
Let's not rehah an issue if it has been corrected and left behind.
Ford's new in house engine has been out long enough to get some solid/real feedback on it (I hope).
Ram's been working on a pickup worthy of their drive train. How'd they do?

Recent info. Please.
BTW- I thoroughly enjoy most of these threads, and am impressed by the wench wizards on this site!
Thanks, in advance, for KNOWLEDGABLE input. Let's not devolve into "my daddy can beat up your daddy" stuff.

(Yes, I'm interested in new. I'd love to have the skill set to hunt down an old gem and build it up to better'n new.
I'm retired, and unless they come up with a downloadable brain app, my skill set won't be expanding much :-( .
I been 4 wheeling since I was a sprout, but that was all work (firewood, fence posts, etc) and/or pursuit of food. Accessable logging roads went everywhere in the mountains (Colville area), this was before the govment stepped in because of the access abuse, when 4wheeling became "sport".... :-( [the few ruin it for all...again]
Back then we worked the (then) old rigs hard, and if you maintained them, they served you admirably. No "kits", and not much modding except with the welder to modify to do another farm/ranch chore.
I left that life behind, but I still enjoy the "wild" that we do still have access to, and, in retirement, I want to sort out a good set up for that.)

I think all of the "Big Three" all have a good product. Most of the problems encountered have been on the diesel engines with the increased emission standards in 2007 and 2010. Most of the problems can by mitigated with proper maintenance and if your DPF and other pieces mysteriously fall off of your truck. A lot of the problems reported are also because the engine is running above stock hp levels. I personally prefer the Super Duty if you are looking at a heavy duty truck.

Halligan

Adventurer
IMHO, if your a member of this site asking what 3/4 ton truck is the best to plunk money down on only one rises right to the top of my list. Ram (Dodge) Power Wagon. Most off road capable 3/4 ton truck on the market. Now available with the 6.4 Medium duty Hemi engine which gets better fuel mileage than the 5.7 Hemi.

haven

Expedition Leader
Power Wagon is great, but it loses a lot of carrying capacity to gain the flexible suspension. It's a "3/4 ton" truck in basic construction, but more like a "1/2 ton" in cargo capacity.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
I've recently been considering a 3/4 ton truck myself and recently touched on the merits of a newer body style F-250 which I think help it stand out as a solid candidate. I find that they're reasonably priced if you don't get into the premium package territory either.
Has a 3k lb payload
Tows 12k lbs
Full Float Sterling 10.5" w/ available electronic rear locker - seems to be a fairly common option from what I'm seeing.
High Pinion Dana Super 60 Front axle with 35 spline axle shafts, 3.75 diameter axle tube with a .5" wall, upgraded 1550 U joints the list goes on..
Manual Hubs..Ok so they're not real manual hubs, but nothing Warn hubs can't fix
Manual transfer case shift lever
Manual crank windows available - I like as little complexity as possible..
Skid Plate Package
Real tow hooks

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Last week I rode in a Carli 2.5 pintop w/full leafs equipped 2013 F-250. It was an XLT but still had the dash mounted electronic transfercase.
It was a crewcab longbed w/Aluminess bumpers for and aft and a Aluminess construction rack incorporated into the Leer shell. 315 tires. Good build quality but the dash showed a meager 8.7 mpg @ 11K. No towing according to the owner.
The ride on the shop's mini proving grounds was unreal. Sage really knows his stuff.
That being said the 6.2 V8 and slushbox was just too unresponsive after driving a diesel all these years.
If I had to have a gasser,the 6.4 Hemi and hydroformed, much stiffer framed,2500-3500 Tradesman would be my pick.
I do wish it had the Aisin though and of course,another Carli setup.

Last edited:

aearles

Observer
I just purchased a 2015 Power Wagon last week, so I thought I'd offer to answer any questions you might have about it. I don't have any experience with 3/4T trucks, and I really didn't shop around because I didn't see a direct competitor, so I can't really offer any input on the decision making process... I just love the PW, and wanted one.

I'm coming from a 2 door Jeep JK, and wanted similar off-road capabilities in a large truck that afforded more storage and flexibility, and that I could use to tow a 6-8k lb travel trailer. I knew from my experience with the Jeep that I would not compromise this time around on the initial purchase, I wanted to do as few mods as possible to get it where I wanted. I plan to keep the PW almost completely stock in order to maintain the specs that the original engineers intended, so I bought the most capable vehicle that best matched my criteria right off the lot. Actually, the recent expo 10 commandments article played a big part in my decision to move forward.

Anyway, I love the truck so far... but it's only been about a week, and it hasn't towed or seen a lot of dirt yet. If you have any questions that can be answered from that perspective, I'm happy to answer them!

Halligan

Adventurer
Power Wagon is great, but it loses a lot of carrying capacity to gain the flexible suspension. It's a "3/4 ton" truck in basic construction, but more like a "1/2 ton" in cargo capacity.

I agree. However, the original post did not divulge enough information as to what the intended use of the vehicle is beyond getting back out into the wilderness. If he's going to be hauling heavy payloads or towing heavy a diesel may be appropriate along with higher the payload of a dedicated 3/4 ton. If he's looking to get into the woods and wants a truck with traction and articulation then the Power Wagon is the best equipped from the factory.

For what I spent in upgrade's on my truck I could have bought a Power Wagon. Heck, I still don't have a winch. If I were buying today it would be a Power Wagon but I don't haul or tow heavy very often.

Cheers.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I just got my new work truck and am flogging it hard. Ford f350. 4x4, xl, regular cab, long bed but it's a very heavy utility body, 6.2l gasoline, manual hubs, manual xfer case. Seems like it has all the good stuff from the old superduties, but with the bugs fixed. It's going to be tough for Dodge to beat this thing. I wouldn't compare it to a Chevy. Those are a different breed of truck all together. I don't think someone that likes Chevys is going to be happy with the Dodge or Ford, and vice versa.

The manual xfer case and hubs are still my favorite options. I like simple, reliable. Pretty sure these are the basic Warn sourced hubs. Premium Warn hubs should be a drop in part. If I need convenience, then I just leave the front hubs locked for a week or two. I left them locked in all winter.

The 6.2L is the best gasoline engine Ford has ever made by a pretty good margin. This thing will eat 6.8L's, and absolutely destroy 5.4L's. Power everywhere, and if the 6.8L had an advantage anywhere, it's likely somewhere that would require the diesel instead. If you don't need the diesel, I wouldn't sweat about the 6.2L's performance. Seems gutsier than our GM 6.0L's down low and up high.

Looks like a super Dana 60 up front and the Visteon/Sterling 10.25 or 10.5 in the rear still. Good stuff.IMO, a set of airbags and daystar spring cups are still required. Trailer brake controller works well. Transmission is a lot smoother than my personal trucks 5r110. No idea what my axle gears are. I'll have to run the VIN when I get a chance.

Mods so far:
Removed the stupid rubber pad from the brake pedal
Added a power inverter to aux switch 2 for my laptop
Added cargo lights to aux switch 1.
Aimed the lights a hair lower. I'm loaded and level.
Backup camera for connecting to trailers.

I would suggest the factory E locker option. Unless you're a Detroit locker guy.

Last edited:

Halligan

Adventurer
I wanted to add the following to my previous comments.

As for overall reliability from the big 3 I think the margin is pretty narrow between all three trucks. Also, it should be noted that Ram (Dodge) has come along way in the past 5 years with refinement and reliability. So much so that rather than nipping at the heals of Ford or GM they are taking bite's out of there sales. I'm not a Dodge Fan boy, though I've driven more Dodges than Fords or Chevy's. That said, if I were in the market today for a "work truck" it would be a tough choice. For a truck to hit the trails with I'm still saying Power Wagon with a Superduty running second. In my opinion the low stance of a GM truck leaves them lacking as a good offroad truck unless you do suspension upgrades.

I'm probably 4 years out from a buying a new truck. I look forward to seeing the new Superduty and GM offerings when the time comes but if a fifth gen Power Wagon is available then it will tough to ignore it.

If I had to choose a 3/4 ton truck for overland travel, my choice would be the Ram Power Wagon. Simply put, it's the best out there for this kind of work. Being an off-road vehicle, I would be willing to sacrifice 3/4 ton tow/haul capacity for better articulation. It has 2 solid axles, and a manual transfer case, which the Ford and GM trucks lack. The "Ramboxes" are pretty awesome too.

Freebird

Adventurer
This is the OP.
Use would be to haul a Truck camper, both on and off pavement, plus do some trailering.
Not planning on rock crawling, but wash boarded roads, and forest circus roads, would be frequent.
Leaning towards diesel, but only if it makes sense.
I want best off road/washboard road ride possible if I don't have to give up too much to get that.
Would be used bare some, too, so don't want to move up to one ton.

Thanks for the responses. I hope this gives a better picture.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
If you are talking the 2016 model year then it might be worth waiting a little longer for a f250 it is suppose to be getting the aluminum treatment that the f150 got. It will increase its payload and towing ability.

The dodge has. One along way we will have to see if that good looking body can keep up with the powertrain.

Halligan

Adventurer
This is the OP.
Use would be to haul a Truck camper, both on and off pavement, plus do some trailering.
Not planning on rock crawling, but wash boarded roads, and forest circus roads, would be frequent.
Leaning towards diesel, but only if it makes sense.
I want best off road/washboard road ride possible if I don't have to give up too much to get that.
Would be used bare some, too, so don't want to move up to one ton.

Thanks for the responses. I hope this gives a better picture.

Hauling a truck camper is a key piece of the puzzle. What size camper do you wish to carry? some are much heavier than others. I will honestly tell you that your likely going to want a 350/3500 single rear wheel. The 250 class of trucks run out of payload quick when a camper is put in the back.

aearles

Observer
My PW came with a card that specifically says "The use of a truck camper is not recommended with this vehicle." Not sure whether that's unique to the PW, or all 2500s.

[edit] Ah, nevermind, all 2500s...

"EXCLUSIONS:
The following Ram Truck models are NOT recommended for slide-in camper applications:
RAM
• All Ram 2500 Power Wagon models."

2015 RAM Truck Camper Guide

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz