NEW 2015 3/4t 4x4 pickup CHOICES/features/value/reviews/experiences/etc.

Darwin

Explorer
The 2500 or 3/4 ton is the halfway house for overlanders who previously owned a toyota or similar and want a full size to carry a truck camper. It makes no sense, get the one ton, and even consider a dually if you are not rock crawling.

Freebird

Adventurer
The camper I am leaning towards is the XP-1 camper. Not a heavyweight camper, but not exactly a light weight, either, by the time it is well appointed, and well supplied.
Yes, I am eyeing the aluminum bodied 2016 F250.
Everywhere trade-offs......

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If I had to choose a 3/4 ton truck for overland travel, my choice would be the Ram Power Wagon. Simply put, it's the best out there for this kind of work. Being an off-road vehicle, I would be willing to sacrifice 3/4 ton tow/haul capacity for better articulation. It has 2 solid axles, and a manual transfer case, which the Ford and GM trucks lack. The "Ramboxes" are pretty awesome too.

The Ford has solid axles and a manual transfer case. AND, manual hubs. No weird, Jeep YJ style interaxle disconnect goofball thing like the Dodge. (I pray that I'm wrong and Dodge came to their senses)

OP, get the Ford or Dodge. Then send a $6000 check to Carli for suspension and long travel airbags for the load. Both of those trucks can be firm on washboard roads stock. The Carli stuff will fix that, but it's overkill. And you'll have to do the math with the camper. BIG camper? Stockish is best.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
With the current Ford F-250 you get an outdated cab, frame, and weaker rear axle compared to the Ram or Chevy offerings. For whatever reason the F-250 and F-350 seem to squat with a minimal load. If you really want a Ford I would wait for a 2016.

I was aware of the solid axles, but I was unaware of the manual transfer case :eek: All the 08 and newer Fords I've been in had electronic transfer cases

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
With the current Ford F-250 you get an outdated cab, frame, and weaker rear axle compared to the Ram or Chevy offerings. For whatever reason the F-250 and F-350 seem to squat with a minimal load. If you really want a Ford I would wait for a 2016.

Nothing wrong with the cab or frame. I'd rather have c channel than rigid boxed all day long. Not sure what the larger Dodges use. Hopefully it's olde school c frames.

Ford rear axle failures =0. In my Fleet for the last 20 years. To call a Sterling/Visteon 10.5" weak is a bit of a stretch. You could say that Chevy has a stronger center section, but then it has weaker shafts. A trade off either way. We have failed an GMC axle shaft (3500). But they've normally have been pure beef as well. I'd imagine a Locking diff with better splines and matching axle shafts are available for the GM axles. They're popular with the hardcore wheelers, once the cases are trimmed.

The squat is normal with all of our trucks. Airbags and proper setup is the solution for all brand trucks, not brand fan boyism. That solves nothing. I'd let others work the bugs out of the new 2016 Fords before I'd recommend one.

You should be able to special order the manual xfer case in any Superduty. But the premium models default to electric, the white trucks get manuals. XLT's appear to be either way. I was lucky. Boss got me a manual xfer case in my XL/XLT mish match.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The twisting of the C-Frame has led to some radiator failures in the Fords. I own a 2006 f-250 and it has been pretty darn reliable. I never drive it, an employee does, and its been good to him. The sagging rear ends in the 250-350 is unacceptable. IMO the current offering from Ram is superior. I am sure the 2016 Ford will be good.

snowfiend

Not a big dodge fan, but apparently the Forest Service rangers out here have Power Wagons with upgraded bumpers and lights. Looked awesome and would like to pick one up at the surplus auction in a few years :)

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The twisting of the C-Frame has led to some radiator failures in the Fords. I own a 2006 f-250 and it has been pretty darn reliable. I never drive it, an employee does, and its been good to him. The sagging rear ends in the 250-350 is unacceptable. IMO the current offering from Ram is superior. I am sure the 2016 Ford will be good.

Just need better rubber mounts for the radiator. The twist is actually what I want. Twist doesn't crack.

Our 2015 F350's did sag alot. At least 6". But that's our load. We could move our overload springs up, or weld a pad to the frame. But I'd rather toss the overload springs and use airbags. The trucks nearly designed for them. Ford's lawyers won't allow airbags. And when the aftermarket offers a superior product anyways......

TwinStick

Explorer
My vote: Dodge Power Wagon. Period. Quite simply-NO other truck offers what the PW does, bone stock. Need more carrying capacity, install stiffer leafs (on the 2005-2014), stiffer coils on the 2015+. Easy peasy. I put Hellwig Load Pro 35's on my 2008 Power Wagon w/G-56 6-speed manual. I tow a 10,500 lb Toy Hauler w/1500 lb tongue weight. No issues at all. Been doing that since 2008. Dodge frames are wicked strong. I have had a 1200 lb atv in the bed (2003 Bombardier Traxter Max 500 w/28" 589 tractor tires, winch & loaded front & rear racks with gear) & flexed it till a tire came off the ground (w/swaybar disconnected) & the space between the bed & the cab stayed the same as sitting on flat ground. A Hemi will never be a diesel, but the Power Wagon i have at least, has never run out of power. My crawl ratio w/G-56 is 78:1. Lower than a stock rubicon with a manual, rock-trac 4:1 trans-case & 4,10's.

Do your research & pick what best suits your needs. If you succeed, you will have a smile on your face, like i do, when i drive my wagon. (no smile when putting gas in it though !!! LOL) Mine does suck gas. 8-10 mpg. Empty or pulling 10,500 lbs. Still 8-10 mpg. No lift, stock 33" tall tires.

east_tn_81

Adventurer

Have never heard of any axle issues the cab may be a little dated but it is quite and the materials are nice. The frame on the 2015 models is stout. We just put 100 lbs on a srw F350 with no squat.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
The OP mentioned ride and payload, that leaves the Power Wagon out on the payload department. One thing I haven't heard mentioned is that Ram has coil springs in the rear now, and that makes a world of difference in the ride on a 3/4 ton. I have a Ram 2014 2500 crew cab 4x 4 and I can't complains about the ride vs other 3/4 tons I have driven. It takes alost all the axle hop out of the equation And the payload and power is nice, i hauled at payload capacity yesterday and you could see it squat a bit, but power wise it was just the same as empty. Some of that had to do with gears, make sure to check your gear ratio on the truck you are looking at. This can really change the way they pull tow and drive. Mine has4:10 gears with the 6.4 Hemi

I'm happy with it and it goes wherever I need to go. If the trails get tight I can pull the CJ with me.

Darwin

Explorer
An XP camper loaded and ready to roll is going to be a solid 3000 lbs. Marc the owner of XP campers recommends a 1 ton. So why are you considering a 3/4 ton again? Still have not figured that out, especially since you are buying new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior