Shopping for a used 2000 to 2003 land cruiser

chuckscap

Hi, I live in Colorado and while I don't do hard core 4 wheeling (Rubicon, etc.) I do hunt and camp and definitely need a capable 4 wheeler, but also need a daily driver I can take my wife and two sons around in. I've got two sons in college so new is out of the question. I've located a few. I found a 2002 for $14,000 looked and drove ok. Anything I should look out for in particular? I wanted a pre purchase inspection at a Toyota dealer but couldn't make it happen today. I may go back later next week.

Thanks!

Chuck

EastWest

Observer
Hi Chuck,

We just purchased a very clean 1999 with 130k miles for under $12k and are very happy with it. We are using it as a daily driver, but making some mods for overlanding adventures. When I was looking for a 100 series I wanted to find one that appeared to be stock and not used off-road. Of course, these can be off-roaded even when stock, and even put back to stock after many mods, but I felt confident the vehicle we purchased from a private seller was in good mechanical condition. We are having a shop give it a thorough inspection before taking off on a 4,000 mile trip soon, but didn't do it at time of purchase. The slee guide enzo posted was helpful also! Look to see if it has the optional rear differential locker (on the left side of steering wheel if they didn't move it from the 99's). Look also to see if it has the optional rear climate control above the second row seats, to control third row/cargo climate. Those were options that I didn't even know were options, but we ended up with them on our rig.

Hi, I live in Colorado and while I don't do hard core 4 wheeling (Rubicon, etc.) I do hunt and camp and definitely need a capable 4 wheeler, but also need a daily driver I can take my wife and two sons around in. I've got two sons in college so new is out of the question. I've located a few. I found a 2002 for $14,000 looked and drove ok. Anything I should look out for in particular? I wanted a pre purchase inspection at a Toyota dealer but couldn't make it happen today. I may go back later next week.

Thanks!

Chuck

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I thing the rear locker was only pre-2000. After that they got ATRAC. I think the upgraded front diff came in 2000 and the 4 speed auto was in 02 or 03. The VVti engine came in 2005 if I remember all that right.

I think I would rather have Slee do the inspection if I was in Colorado. Not sure if that is feasible or not. The big thing generally is the timing belt service. When/if it was done or when it is coming due. It runs roughly $1000 to have somebody do it (90K/180K etc)

Still wish I kept looking for a 100 series, but I settled on a 120. The 120 is nice, but I think the 100 series is overbuilt.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I thing the rear locker was only pre-2000. After that they got ATRAC. I think the upgraded front diff came in 2000 and the 4 speed auto was in 02 or 03. The VVti engine came in 2005 if I remember all that right.

Still wish I kept looking for a 100 series, but I settled on a 120. The 120 is nice, but I think the 100 series is overbuilt.

Your memory is slightly off (or your typing skills?) as the 100 series came with the A343F four speed auto from day one, and then the A750F five speed arrived in '03. Otherwise you are correct. 98-99 had selectable rear locker, 2000 onward has ATRAC. 4 pinion front dif also came in 2000.

I'm not sure I'd call any vehicle "over built". Some are maybe "under built" though? :ylsmoke: Where did you source a 120 series? Or do you have a Lexus variant (is it the GX?)

Last edited:

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Yep - brainfart on my part. I meant 4 to 5 speed, not 3 to 4. I guess I'm stuck in the 60's.

The GX470/FJ/4runner are all 120 series. All based on the Prado which is sold elsewhere. I think the GX470 is very similar to the Prado Grande (luxury with airbag suspension), but with a different drivetrain.

It would be pretty cool if we could get some of the lower trim level Prados over here.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Yeah, I asked cause I was pretty sure there were a few Prado based rigs in N.A. The guy I bought my 100 from bought a GX470 to replace it as his wife's dd, and bought a 3rd gen Frunner for an off-roader.

chuckscap

Well I found a very clean 2000 LX470 for $9600 and took the leap. It looks and drives great, I had it inspected by Lexus, it has 176,000 miles but the timing belt was just done. I'm a little worried about the AHC, but at that price if it goes I can deal with it.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That's a fair deal! I paid about the same for my '99, but timing belt hasn't been done. I did get it with freshly installed OME suspension, diff drop, brakes and 33" tires. I figured I can take care of the belt with all those extras newly installed.

Post some pics when you get it! The LX will have better lights than the LC does. It's one thing I miss from my LX450. The headlights on the 100 LC aren't all that spectacular.

costal_cat

Well I found a very clean 2000 LX470 for $9600 and took the leap. It looks and drives great, I had it inspected by Lexus, it has 176,000 miles but the timing belt was just done. I'm a little worried about the AHC, but at that price if it goes I can deal with it.

You have a couple of options with the AHC. If you want a lift you can set it to high and adjust the sensors so that it wont come back down when moving or you can get a manual override from Slee that will do the same thing. You can adjust the torsion bars up front once set to high to maintain the one inch rack from back to front. Another option if it just gives out is to drop out all the AHC components and install a 2.5 OME lift or something similar. Also if you think the AHC is problematic at 176,000 you may be ready for a system flush and refill. A search over on ih8mud will net you this for future reference

http://forum.ih8mud.com/search/3211783/?q=AHC+Maintenance&o=relevance&c[node]=26

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles