building the "rambo-lance", a 3 year project, starting now. 3 Ambulance currently

sticeindustries

building the "rambo-lance", a 3 year project, starting now. 3 Ambulance currently

hello everyone, I have been reading the forum for months, and dreaming for years.

I am a hardcore 12v cummins fan, and work with what we try to build and dub as indestructible diesels everyday. What I mean is they wont leave you stranded. I stay away from electronic fuel injection and things that can go kaboom with no warning.

I have recently become a family man, and having already owned my dream truck, the 98 Dodge ram holy grail, I moved up to the next best thing for family travel in my book, the 2 year famed Mega cab dodge with the 5.9L.

Always planning to keep my 98 for life and convert it to the off-the-road weekend warrior, I had to finally admit that if the family wont fit, daddy probably wont drive it anymore. I sold the truck I looked for for over 9 years to a family friend weeks ago with the agreement that in 3 years I would buy it back for the same price. Works for me, as I think a 3 year old child deserves to have a holy grail in the garage while it simply cant be justified for a 5 month old.

Hence, I am no in the process of realizing, my 06 Mega cab, with its 6 inch lift and 36 inch tires, is only steps in the right direction. I have become fascinated with the lifted ambulances I sometimes see on the portal and have taken on new inspirations. My little crew of followers here in Southeast KS are easily persuaded to follow when I come up with hair-brain ideas, and with the support of at least two crew members (wife not included) we purchase 3 ambulances!!! Why would I buy 3 ambulances?? Im a man of numbers and if one lifted ambulance is a good idea then 3 would on all levels be a GREAT IDEA!!

I purchased these units out of Houston TX and the 2nd of 3 is arriving today.
1. 2002 F-350 truck body with Type 1 full ambulance box. 7.3L powerstroke with auto trans.

2 1998 E-250 van with raised roof type 2, 7.3L POWERSTROKE WITH AUTO

3. 2002 F-350 type 1, 7.3L AND AUTO

So, I asked myself again and again, why do these guys insist on building van body ambulances (type 3) and lifting them. granted they look bad ***** but a truck would be easier to get under the hood and do regular maintenance. In reading, I have come to the agreed upon conclusion, that its only because they look AWESOME!! no one thinks your in a regular ambulance out to play, they know you BUILT IT!

I also had a hard time wondering why so many people would build the regular van platform. I understand they are more plentiful, easier to find with lower mileage, and even affordable enough to build a brand new rig. I then spoke to some people in the industry and began to understand why they actually sometimes PREFFERED the van bodies, some areas of camping are simply smaller trails without the "Desert style" open roads I had considered. I ride my rzr on tight trails all the time, but had originally thought of camping in the open and riding into the heavy trails.

What I learned in all my considerations: each person, each area, each circumstance is different. The rig itself is exactly what you want it to be, because you built it. You customized it, you changed it, and you ever adapt to the changes around you.

I also looked and looked for what I was after, I want a truck body, for ease of under hood repairs (as a mechanic I appreciate this). I also wanted to remain in a crew cab for seating for the family. I also wanted what is best described as an "class c" motorhome walk through. Easy access from the back of the cab into the RV style box. I wanted the rigidity of a solid box, not just a box truck style box. I also quickly came to realize I have "earth roamer" taste, and a "76 Chevrolet" style checkbook.

So, after much searching, and previewing of crew cabs, ambulances, vans, rvs even purchasing box trucks, I came up with the next best thing. 3 ambulances to build, 2 to sell to fund number 3 that will become the "RAMBO-LANCE". The Rambo-lance, its details, ideas, and thoughts are still developing and ever changing. The 3 year project begins as the day I buy back the 98 Holy Grail, I will cut apart the mega cab for the box conversion. Until then I have time to convert the suspension, build the air ride, perfect the chassis, and put more thought into the walk through.

what is beginning now is this. I have ready access to my shop, friends shops, offroad equipment, and more. What I Lacked was ambulances, so buy purchasing 3, well we corrected that problem.

We got #1 in last sunday, replaced the fuel pump pick up in the tank ($35 from ford ps) replaced the batteries, became familiar with the workings of the ambulance (yes everything works, lights, sirens, etc). we evaluated all the ambulance had, and what it lacked. What this one had was a power inverter already working, we are literally ready to camp if we are happy with idling the 7.3L if no power is available, it has onboard rear ac and heat, lots of storage, decent area in the back for a kitchen (thinking access from inside and out to provide for inside cooking or opening up the kitchen under a canopy for outside camping) a fold down dining table, removable seat/sleeping option (think ququq), and more. We will decide later if a generator is needed along with adding kitchen microwave etc. Compost toilet?? outside shower??

All these are still considered, but we are moving on with number 1, happy with the powertrain, we sent it to detail and began the hunt for conversion parts as we move forward with the 4x4 swap. I sent Jesse back to Houston to grab number 2 (type 2) and bring it back. Hes currently headed into OKC.

The plan for both F-350s is to make it obvious (as a lifted van would be) that this was intentionally built into a purpose built off-road rig, whose one job is to get there safely, without getting stuck, and provide shelter inside while hauling the entire campsite with us at all times, and providing towing power needed if you prefer as I do to bring a RZR or quad.

The essentials we decided on:
Front end gets a Dana 60 front end out of matching year equipment (to allow for ease of parts ordering later)
Transfer case will be a divorced gear driven NP205 (allowing for use of current 2wd trans, wiring, and speed control)
Stock rear gear ratio maintained at 4.10 (decent gears for accelerating up hills, We will never go rock crawling)
BDS 9" lift leaf lift in front, block and springs in back to handle weight of box (lifetime warranty on parts)
37 inch Military BF Goodrich Baja MT tires (I sell these and the old goodyear MT)
16.5 inch split rims with run flats (we build these)

those are the essentials that each one will have along with Cold air intake, upgraded air filter, full services, high flow exhaust (tucked to eliminate hitting trail objects), programmers (usually EDGE because of ease of use and added gauges for pyro, trans, etc.) I like to allow more air in, more air out, and the ability to modify programming and timing to any vehicle I need power and towing capabilities out of.

Well, you now see my forethought, my considerations, and now??? Questions??? I know you all have your thoughts and opinions. I also know many of you have considered a build very similar to this before. I am very experienced in automotive fabrication, and a firm believer in the fact I don't have to know it all, I just have to know someone who does.

I do plan to sell the 98 E250 after converting to 4x4, it will get the same 9" lift, 37s, and such, but then it gets to become someone elses dream.

I also plan to sell at least 1 F-350 after it is converted and lifted, because I MUST HAVE MEGA-CAB!!. So I tell my wife.

Anyway, thoughts?? Support?? Disgusted looks of disapproval??

Im here in southeast KS near Joplin MO, we do mainly highway driving, and previously offroaded only in beat up farm trucks or 20k$ rzrs. Im ready to build the family wagon. The plans are as our kids grow up, we will family vacation only outdoors, and will see all the historic sites as they grow up and we can teach them our way before the school system impacts their little brains.

Darwin

Explorer
9 inchs lift sounds huge, I know many on here are more fans of (for practical purposes and expo) the least amount of lift with the largest tire possible within reason, think AEV ram build, but if you are going for 'looks' then I suppose 9 inches of lift would be that to some people. Anyways, I will be curious to see how this all turns out. Post pictures, I will be folllowing.

sticeindustries

Darwin, I totally agree 9 is nearly too much. I started with intentions of a 6 inch lift, essentially to raise the front 4.5, and bring the rear up to match it. With that little of lift, I could only clear 35 inch tires, and I really feel the need to run these 37 inch Military tires. therefore, a declared 8" lift, really providing only 6", was what we decided on. Price point however struck us best at a 9" lift on sale from BDS, and the plus side is BDS has the lifetime warranty on all components.
I would love to stay closer to the ground, but feel this will also give me the clearance I need under the body if I do choose to run any tanks underneath while others use up precious packing space.
we will see. I appreciate you following

Darwin

Explorer
Darwin, I totally agree 9 is nearly too much. I started with intentions of a 6 inch lift, essentially to raise the front 4.5, and bring the rear up to match it. With that little of lift, I could only clear 35 inch tires, and I really feel the need to run these 37 inch Military tires.
With the right wheels and suspension, plenty of people are running 37 inch toyos on a 3 inch lift and they are 14 inchs wide!

Edit: I forgot this is going on a leaf sprung truck.

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
I love where this is going, I too am an ambulance guy. Those boxes can be pretty heavy depending on age and type of the module. I agree with the masses on this, 9" is too much, your center of gravity will be way to high. The last thing you want is an unstable ambo in the wild...

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
I also looked and looked for what I was after, I want a truck body, for ease of under hood repairs (as a mechanic I appreciate this). I also wanted to remain in a crew cab for seating for the family. I also wanted what is best described as an "class c" motorhome walk through. Easy access from the back of the cab into the RV style box. I wanted the rigidity of a solid box, not just a box truck style box. I also quickly came to realize I have "earth roamer" taste, and a "76 Chevrolet" style checkbook.

I like this idea too. Earthroamer on a 76 Chevy budget. 4 door diesel 4x4 with a class c style walk through.
The wife needs to be able to go to the bathroom while under way. I don't understand the waiting to buy back your old truck, but the rest of the project(s) sound cool. I've seen a few ambulances on Dodge chassis, but most seem to on Ford chassis.

cruiser812

Observer
What size tires are on the mega cab? The looks of this one almost makes me want to put a flatbed on mine.

91AzXJ

Adventurer
I knew Pittsburg well, used to call on a customer once a month and then go over to Joplin. Good luck on the build, anxious to see where this goes as well.

rlrenz

Explorer
Congratulations! If you dig into the GSA specs for ambulances, you'll see just how solidly these creatures are built. Enjoy!

aquadreamin

I too am a family man and looking to do a f350-450 ambo conversion. Quad cab is a must. Any progress on this. Would love to see the finished product

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles