Question on Gen 3 Differences / 20th Anniv ed?? GenIII love

vanroth

Observer
Thanks Mike. I think it is safe to say that the XLS and Limited housings and innards are interchangeable. I know I will be looking to go that route (to 4.9's) when I get new tires!

And to the OP, I'd skip the XLS as there really isn't any advantage to the truck and you cannot upgrade the gearing to accommodate larger tires (like moving from 4.3 to 4.9 R&P). In the grand scheme of things there isn't much difference between the early Gen III's and the later 3.8l Gen III's. Mainly just newer, slightly more HP (which is nice), and the addition of traction/stability control. The 20th Anniversary model adds the cool wheels in addition to the alternative interior trim color and badges.

You can't go wrong with either of them. Personally I prefer the look of the 01-02 models and favor the LSD over the TCS. Though you could add the LSD to a newer Montero like Mike did and have the best of both worlds.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
We need to start calling the 03-06 trucks Gen 3.5's!

NO WAY, its confusing how this forum refers to a Gen 2.5 as just a "2.5" already. Most don't realize a 2.5 is a Montero motor so when somebody posts up about having problems starting their 2.5 i immediately think "air in the line" or glow plug issues in cold weather.

CAN WE PLEASE START USING OUR CHASSIS NUMBERS???? Montero/Pajero V44W or V75W or L044G, we all have a number stamped all over our rigs to ID them. We can learn together and post it up so everyone knows what they have and those of us helping can better assist by knowing what you have.

Not to pick on you vanroth, just got me thinking there's an easier way :wings:

Sorry for the hijack.... Just trying to help this community know what we've got. good times.

loremordred

Observer
Thanks Everyone for helping. I have been traveling a lot and haven't really sat down to read and respond here.

I've eyed in some nice ones, and may be out on the hunt tomorrow or friday to pick me up a monty (2002 Limited, maybe a 2004).

I'm looking to get a ARB bull bar & winch, fridge, shoes 31 or 32s?, radio, wondering about springs or lift.
Wondering if a jeep arb model will fit?

@ Sneakyninja - Do you have a link to a list where I could find that info. I've seen a link or two before with some similar info but never found it again. Been looking for a reference sheet.

@Vanroth - Thank you for that post, I may save that data you shared.:ylsmoke:
Gearing:

01-02 Limited – 3.5l V6 - 4.30 R&P w/LSD – 5 Speed Auto -- Super Select II 4WD w/CDL
01-02 XLS – 3.5l V6 - 4.90 R&P – 4 Speed Auto – Manual Shift 2-Spd Part Time 4WD
03-06 Limited & XLS – 4.30 R&P – Traction Control (M-ASTC) – 5 Speed Auto -- Super Select II 4WD w/CDL

4spd 5spd
1st 2.842 3.789
2nd 1.495 2.057
3rd 1.000 1.421
4th 0.731 1.000
5th − 0.731
Reverse 2.720 3.865

The Limited was advertised as coming standard with the sunroof, leather interior, heated front seats, a power driver's seat, heated mirrors, fog lights, chrome exterior accents*, premium audio and the LCD Information Center. I italic advertised as a good number of the Limited’s do not have the chrome accents and a few rare examples were sans sunroofs.
XLS’s had the rear air as an option and even were available with leather, though cloth was far more common. A few rare examples also had sunroofs.
I’m not aware of any 01-02 Limited’s in the US that did not come standard with the LSD torsen-type rear. I haven’t heard of the 4.90’s coming with LSD’s either, but I’m sure it is possible. I wouldn't be surprised that a few transition year (2003) trucks are oddballs, but I would be hesitant to call that the norm and definitely not random.

@ Michael Brown - Thanks for your post. Copying that down.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I'm looking to get a ARB bull bar & winch, fridge, shoes 31 or 32s?, radio, wondering about springs or lift.

The constant load OME suspension (HD) is great if you laden your rig for extended backcountry travel.
Otherwise, the med. duty may fit your needs.

I run the HD set up front and rear and am very pleased with the performance in all terrain and speeds.

Below is the link for Gen. III ARB bumper part numbers.

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/accessorizeYourRig/mitsubishiMonteroNM.pdf

Happy Wheeling!

loremordred

Observer
I finally got one.... a few people left me high and dry, and others wanted too much for their beat up 01-02....

So I went down to La Jolla, CA and got me a beat up 2004 Limited with all the service records for $3k. But needs Catalytic Converter fixed (smog issue throwing code), blinking TPS and Blinking 4wd (4wd wont engage). I believe this is either vacume line, or the switch. Also struts or suspension is shot...

Logs say they replaced Serpentine Belt.... I am unsure if that is the same as timing belt according to them.

So I got 2K to invest in repairs and upgrades.

Cat Conv. / O2 sensors
Tires - wondering what sizes can be mounted stock 285/75-16s is largest size without rub?
Shocks/Springs
Transmission Flush
Timming Belt and Water Pump

If I have enought left 4.9 gears
Bullbar
Sliders

will post a pick and start a build thread soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles