Question on Gen 3 Differences / 20th Anniv ed?? GenIII love

loremordred

Observer
Hello Folks,

What are the exact differences from a 20th Anniv 3rd Gen Montero vs Regular 3rd Gen?
The differences I know about the 3rd gens are the 3.5L from 2000-2003 (XLS and Limited [leather interior?]) , and from 2003-2006 they added 3.8L engine.

My questions concerning this are, is there any other differences ? I haven't found much beside the wiki, and the 20th anniv edition there isn't much besides the badge and 3.8l upgrades.
I have searched the wiki, 4x4 wire (mostly 1-2.5 gen), or at least the top hits, and this is about all I have found. Looking to find or make a all in one thread for 3rd Gen.

Other questions: will the 3.8L fit in a 3.5l engine bay? i.e. fittings, motor mounts and their locations, any other part differences. Are computers compatible or required for a engine swap?
Suspension: Has anything changed between the first and the revised 3rd gens? Compatible with all models?
Gearing: Any Gearing differences between the Years? I heard something about XLS having a different gearing vs the Limited (4spd XLS vs 5spd Limited??)
Compatibles: other vehicle parts, upgrades or engine parts, gearing, transmissions, cross compatible? (GM/Dodge/Mits/Jeep).

Please correct me if I am wrong on any point. Hopefully we can get part numbers and references here like the Sticky for the 2/2.5 gen here.

I am looking into Buying a 3rd Gen, and am stuck with costs 3.5l vs 3.8l which can be a 2-5K difference depending where you look. So if I can pick and salvage from other models and upgrade older gen. 2-3k difference can mean a lot of accessories and upgrades in my book.

Let me know your thoughts or info.

Thanks,

Hector

jhill15

Explorer
Hi Hector, welcome to the forum.

Heres a thread that will answer alot of your questions.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133780

As for engine swaps, thats above my knowledge. Hopefully someone can chime in and help out in that department.

I think...and if i'm wrong I stand corrected, but the only differences between a 20th anniversary and regular 2003 are fancy badges, grey wood tone interior, and rear spoiler on the 20th anniversary....there might be some other small details but I'm not sure....

also i'm pretty sure if you can find an early preoduction 2003 it might have a lsd rear diff. You would have to crawl underneath and look to see if the diff says "hybid lsd oil only"

Post up some links or pics of possible trucks your looking at.
Hope this helps and good luck.

loremordred

Observer
Last edited:

plh

Explorer
I like the gen 2.5 you posted up. Not really much difference across the Gen 3s besides the 3.5L vs 3.8L and Limited vs. XLS. already mentioned. Would be sweet with a newer Limited 3.8l w/5 speed auto and the older XLS gearing with the LSD. Guessing my '05 will be for sale mid summer '15, and probably the '93.

jhill15

Explorer
I like the 20th anniversary one up for sale. The first link you have in lasvegas is definitely gonna need a timing belt water pump etc... throw in some tires and your looking at $2500 right out of the box.

loremordred

Observer
I like the gen 2.5 you posted up. Not really much difference across the Gen 3s besides the 3.5L vs 3.8L and Limited vs. XLS. already mentioned. Would be sweet with a newer Limited 3.8l w/5 speed auto and the older XLS gearing with the LSD. Guessing my '05 will be for sale mid summer '15, and probably the '93.

So the XLS has a LSD? Is this not present in the Limited?

Maybe I'm confusing the old 2.5 gen center differential.... so XLS has center diff, and the later limited do no?

I know there is no locker on the 3rd gen, unless its aftermarket.

Are the LSD from the XLS compatible with 3rd gen Limited?

@jhill15

I'm really in love with the Blue '98 2.5Gen...was my favorite color of them all.
The 20th aniv is nice, but he wont come down from 7k, I'm hoping to find something in the 4.5K so I have about 1k for repairs and or parts.
Lost the Grasscat II in divorce.... miss it so much...

And I really want to try the upgraded 3rd gen... more comfortable/plush ride. Also it seems that the 3rd gen can be easier for making a bed platform... and AC in rear is a nice feature to have. I know peeps would sweat a bit in the back seat in my '98.

I noticed that my driving style is pretty good, that Solid axle is not necessary for me if I have same traction/grip.
I also think having the Differential hanging lower than the body a bad engineering...or common sense. Not that big of a deal, but don't like that cold sweat of a boulder hitting you hard under there... wondering if you can make it out or if you lost your fluids....

in short.... i fell in love with Imnosaint's Monty... so I want one.

loremordred

Observer
and the blue one is gone.... I had a feeling if I posted it here, someone would hawk it... or it would be sold.

I guess keeping to 3rd gen.

plh

Explorer
So the XLS has a LSD? Is this not present in the Limited?

Maybe I'm confusing the old 2.5 gen center differential.... so XLS has center diff, and the later limited do no?

I know there is no locker on the 3rd gen, unless its aftermarket.

Are the LSD from the XLS compatible with 3rd gen Limited?

Both XLS and Limited have the locking center differential in the transfer case. Some of the XLS have a "hybrid" rear limited slip rear differential, sorta like a Torsen unit. The Limited did not have this option. The XLS has a 4 speed auto, where as the Limited has a 5 speed auto. The XLS has 4.9 final drive gears, the Limited has 4.3. Can swap the front and rear differentials between the 2.

jhill15

Explorer
I thought 01-02 limited had lsd as well as a few early production 03 and 03-06 had open diffs with active trac

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Other questions: will the 3.8L fit in a 3.5l engine bay? i.e. fittings, motor mounts and their locations, any other part differences. Are computers compatible or required for a engine swap?
The 3.8L and 3.5L are not swappable without a lot of money spent. 3.8L has drive-by-wire throttle (required for the stability/traction control systems) while the 3.5L has throttle cable. Computers are not interchangeable and you would probably have to change all sensors related to TSC and the wire harnesses. Not worth the effort on a vehicle under $10k.

Suspension: Has anything changed between the first and the revised 3rd gens? Compatible with all models?
All 3rd gens (in US) have the same suspension. My current 05 (limited) looks identical to my 01 XLS.

Gearing: Any Gearing differences between the Years? I heard something about XLS having a different gearing vs the Limited (4spd XLS vs 5spd Limited??)
Gearing has always remained the same for all 3rd Gens. XLS (4-speed with manual trasnfer case shifter) have 4.9 gears. Limited (5-speed with electronic transfer shifter) has 4.3 gears. Both assemblies are completely interchangeable. I swapped a 4.3 with LSD from an older year into my 2005 to replace a bad differential. Some people with a limited will install 4.9 gears to get better ratio or for larger tires. Only Mitsubishi has the correct gears and they are $600 new for ring and pinion. Best bet is to check eBay for used complete assemblies. LSDs were randomly (no specific package) installed in both XLS and Limited models from 01-02.

Compatibles: other vehicle parts, upgrades or engine parts, gearing, transmissions, cross compatible? (GM/Dodge/Mits/Jeep).
Some engine parts (belts, water pump, gaskets, etc.) are interchangeable as the 3.5L and 3.8L engines were also used in some of the cars. Chrysler had a partnership with Mitsubishi for a while so some parts may cross-reference.
The transmission oil (Diamond SP-iii) is shared between Mistubishi and at least Hyundai. You can buy cases of it on eBay. Do NOT use any other brand of oil in the transmissions. I work as a test engineer for ZF. Other than software, using the correct fluid is the most critical component of the transmission. I also had to do a fluid change in the 01 XLS when the mileage was ~150k to correct a terrible shuddering coming from the torque converter. Flush/replaced with new fluid and everything was golden.

Also check my signature for more history and FSM on the 3rd gens.

vanroth

Observer
Gearing has always remained the same for all 3rd Gens. XLS (4-speed with manual trasnfer case shifter) have 4.9 gears. Limited (5-speed with electronic transfer shifter) has 4.3 gears. Both assemblies are completely interchangeable. I swapped a 4.3 with LSD from an older year into my 2005 to replace a bad differential. Some people with a limited will install 4.9 gears to get better ratio or for larger tires. Only Mitsubishi has the correct gears and they are $600 new for ring and pinion. Best bet is to check eBay for used complete assemblies. LSDs were randomly (no specific package) installed in both XLS and Limited models from 01-02.

Mike, are you sure about this info? Mitsubishi did away with the 4-speeds with the '03 US models although the FSM still lists them both.

Gearing:

01-02 Limited – 3.5l V6 - 4.30 R&P w/LSD – 5 Speed Auto -- Super Select II 4WD w/CDL
01-02 XLS – 3.5l V6 - 4.90 R&P – 4 Speed Auto – Manual Shift 2-Spd Part Time 4WD
03-06 Limited & XLS – 4.30 R&P – Traction Control (M-ASTC) – 5 Speed Auto -- Super Select II 4WD w/CDL

4spd 5spd
1st 2.842 3.789
2nd 1.495 2.057
3rd 1.000 1.421
4th 0.731 1.000
5th − 0.731
Reverse 2.720 3.865

The Limited was advertised as coming standard with the sunroof, leather interior, heated front seats, a power driver's seat, heated mirrors, fog lights, chrome exterior accents*, premium audio and the LCD Information Center. I italic advertised as a good number of the Limited's do not have the chrome accents and a few rare examples were sans sunroofs.
XLS's had the rear air as an option and even were available with leather, though cloth was far more common. A few rare examples also had sunroofs.
I'm not aware of any 01-02 Limited's in the US that did not come standard with the LSD torsen-type rear. I haven't heard of the 4.90's coming with LSD's either, but I'm sure it is possible. I wouldn't be surprised that a few transition year (2003) trucks are oddballs, but I would be hesitant to call that the norm and definitely not random.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I know the XLS and 4 speed stopped in 02. 03 was the start of the engine update and 05 got a refresher update. The differential housing for any Gen3 Montero 01-06 are the same, therefore XLS differentials can be swapped into Limited/03-06 models. All mounting points are the same. There are some threads here and in the Pajero forums about this.

The LSD can be found in either 4.9 (XLS) or 4.3 (Limited) ratios, but only 01-02 models. Mitsubishi decided to use only the TSC in the US. The LSD can be used in a car with TSC since I have about 10k miles on mine with no issues. The best lead I can find about which models had them (mine was just a lucky coincidence when I ordered the part) is that there was a touring package which should have included the LSD in 01-02 models. I have not found confirmed information of anything else included in the package so the only way to tell for sure is to check the label on the back of the actual part. It just seems random because it depended whether the package was ordered by the dealer or not. I do not know if every 01-02 Limited had the LSD, but while searching for a used replacement, I remember finding several non-LSD parts listed as coming from 01-02 models. This may have been an incorrect statement by the salvage yard though.

I spent a few weeks on both ExPo and the Pajero forums trying to confirm all differential information before I chunked the money down to replace the original one in my 05. The most concrete information I have is that the design for the differential housings did not change from 01 to 06. XLS diffs fit in Limited models, and 01-02 diffs will fit in 03-06 models. If anyone else knows more about the parts and swapping them it might be Monstero or one of the other guys on here. I believe 1 of the builds on here changed from 4.3 to 4.9 gears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online