LR3 Extended Warranty

I'm looking at buying an 08 with 80k miles and was wondering if you guys think it's smart to go ahead and try to find some extra warranty that covers so many miles. I am researching the problems that may happen and the list looks pretty expensive. I was reading through another forum and saw one a guy was buying that the previous owner had put in 12k$ towards repairs. This has gotten me a little scarred about going with the lr3 and not something brand new but a little more expensive like a 4runner. Has anyone put this much money into repairs? Or should I be looking more to spend like maybe 3k. I know there's no definite answer but besides the control arms at 1000-1500 is there anything else that could have to be replaced that's a big ticket item. Thanks:)

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Subscribed... I'm in the same boat. I'm a Cruiser guy, but can't help but notice the LR3. The price is awesome and they look super cool. Will I end up spending all the saved cash on maintenance and repairs?

zelatore

Explorer
I suppose it's possible to spend $12K in repairs, but it's not easy or common.
Would I get an extended warranty? Depends on the cost and terms. I've seen some that weren't worth the paper they were printed on and some that look like decent deals. If it were say $1000-$1500 and offered reasonable time of coverage I'd probably do it. If it were say $3000 for an extra year maybe not.
The most common 'big dollar' failure on an LR3 is the suspension compressor. Figure that will set you back about $1500 at a dealer. The part alone is about a grand from the dealer if you install it yourself. (it's pretty easy if your familiar with a wrench) Figure a couple hours in the driveway. Other suspension components can fail as well but are all relatively cheap. Oh, and if you're interested you can rebuild the compressor with an ebay kit for about 1/10th the cost of having a dealer install a new one.
You can expect to do lower control arm bushings around 60-70K - most people just replace the whole control arm instead of doing the bushings as things can get pretty corroded down there if you live somewhere other than the west (hooray for low humidity and lack of snow/salt!).
For the most part the other common items are usually computer glitches that can be a PITA to track down but often aren't really failures at all. Something as simple as a marginal battery, bad tail light bulb, or brake light switch can cause all sorts of weird errors. A GAP IId tool will help a lot with this and should considered be mandatory.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
I suppose it's possible to spend $12K in repairs, but it's not easy or common.
Would I get an extended warranty? Depends on the cost and terms. I've seen some that weren't worth the paper they were printed on and some that look like decent deals. If it were say $1000-$1500 and offered reasonable time of coverage I'd probably do it. If it were say $3000 for an extra year maybe not.
The most common 'big dollar' failure on an LR3 is the suspension compressor. Figure that will set you back about $1500 at a dealer. The part alone is about a grand from the dealer if you install it yourself. (it's pretty easy if your familiar with a wrench) Figure a couple hours in the driveway. Other suspension components can fail as well but are all relatively cheap. Oh, and if you're interested you can rebuild the compressor with an ebay kit for about 1/10th the cost of having a dealer install a new one.
You can expect to do lower control arm bushings around 60-70K - most people just replace the whole control arm instead of doing the bushings as things can get pretty corroded down there if you live somewhere other than the west (hooray for low humidity and lack of snow/salt!).
For the most part the other common items are usually computer glitches that can be a PITA to track down but often aren't really failures at all. Something as simple as a marginal battery, bad tail light bulb, or brake light switch can cause all sorts of weird errors. A GAP IId tool will help a lot with this and should considered be mandatory.

Ditto. I've owed two LR3s, a 05 and 06 SE. My ex wife still has the 05 with >160k miles. They were/have been very reliable. I sold mine (06) with 120k miles. I don't believe the extended warranty is necessary. Other than the air suspension compressor (which neither car ever had an issue with) suspension components and alternators are the most expensive items that may be replaced (other than the engine itself). The engine and transmissions are excellent and very reliable.

unseenone

Explorer
My out of pocket has been less than the insurance would have cost. Mind you, I stopped going to the dealer unless absolutely necessary. I buy my own parts (and sell them) and bring them with to my independent. So budget 1-2k a year for maintenance. if something happens you can use the fund.

The biggest thing is to stay ahead of stuff, and plan ahead, rather than waiting for an inevitable failure of this or that. Take a brake light switch as a prime example.

dwvninety

Observer
Depends on how much the extended warranty cost and what company is backing it up. LR3's are generally dependable if you are meticulous in doing its scheduled maintenance.

Lan1201

I'd like to bump this conversation as I am as well interested in purchasing a 2007 LR3 with one with 54k and another that has 64k. Does the extended warranty cover suspension components like the compressor and control arm replacement?

Also, here in Houston we have a local Land Rover independent guy, would it be smart to get him to check the car out first?

jhawk

Adventurer
I'd like to bump this conversation as I am as well interested in purchasing a 2007 LR3 with one with 54k and another that has 64k. Does the extended warranty cover suspension components like the compressor and control arm replacement?

Also, here in Houston we have a local Land Rover independent guy, would it be smart to get him to check the car out first?

Absolutely have the truck you choose checked out if you can.

My 05 was darn near issue free until about 100,000, I'm at 120,000 now. If you can do the work yourself I do not see you coming out ahead with the warranty. If you can't, having your front suspension rebuilt and a couple air suspension issue may very well pay for it.

Jim

Jwestpro

Explorer
My extended warranty cost $4500 for 4 years and 50,000 miles of coverage which started at the end of my factory 4yr/50k. So, it ended up covering $14,000 in repairs (yes, actual failed items although some were a bit silly like a new rear air strut when I think the problem was only a $50 rubber boot/cover). There were things like the rear differential which ground to a very noisy demise. Couple wheel bearings though they are very cheap and easy to DIY, radiator, some pumps, air compressor of course (Hitachi to AMK) an engine control thingy, several suspension items, door locking mechanisms, things I don't remember. Oh, the AC compressor or something with that.

Now, I made sure the warranty was 0 deductible, exclusionary with 99% of items covered, and an easy process through the dealer/any LR dealer.

Would I do it next time? Not sure, I might instead go with a Toyota ... ;)

zelatore

Explorer
If I could get the same deal JWest had - $4500 for 4 years/50K after the OEM warranty with $0 deductible I would say yes. But I've not seen a third party warranty that good. Obviously they exist as he had/has one, and I admit I'm generally not a fan of them so I don't put much effort into looking.
If I did have that warranty, you can be sure I'd be using it for every little thing possible and doing it through a dealer so perhaps I'd have a very high incurred cost. As it is I prefer to do whatever I can myself and if something is very minor I'm not likely to worry about it. Example, the LEDs on the console for the rotary terrain response selector are not working on my truck right now. I really don't mind since I have both the in-dash display and the Infotainment display to tell me what it's set to. But if I had a warranty that would cover it sure I'd have a dealer sort it out, and likely at several hundred dollars since it's $150 just to have them plug in their computer.
I'm with JWest though - I'm just going to buy a Toyota next time.
HA! Yeah right - me in a Toyota! Not going to happen!

Jwestpro

Explorer
Of a few dealers in the area, Obrien Land Rover in Fife/Tacoma WA is the one that had a warranty I could accept. The other dealer had pricing starting around $8000 and going up but it was the one "through" Land Rover.

Also, to be clear, mine had to be bough before 50k miles and the 4 year time period for the factory warranty. I do not know if being the only owner mattered to the dealer because it didn't get inspected. However, it had been going there for some services already.

It may be possible to buy over the phone but I'm not sure. It could though be worth a few hours drive to buy it in person if no other good alternatives exist for someone further away. As I understood it, any LR dealer can use it as well as ACE certified shops if not within a certain distance of a LR dealer.

Lan1201

My extended warranty cost $4500 for 4 years and 50,000 miles of coverage which started at the end of my factory 4yr/50k. So, it ended up covering $14,000 in repairs (yes, actual failed items although some were a bit silly like a new rear air strut when I think the problem was only a $50 rubber boot/cover). There were things like the rear differential which ground to a very noisy demise. Couple wheel bearings though they are very cheap and easy to DIY, radiator, some pumps, air compressor of course (Hitachi to AMK) an engine control thingy, several suspension items, door locking mechanisms, things I don't remember. Oh, the AC compressor or something with that.

Now, I made sure the warranty was 0 deductible, exclusionary with 99% of items covered, and an easy process through the dealer/any LR dealer.

Would I do it next time? Not sure, I might instead go with a Toyota ... ;)

First of all thank you for the feedback. I know all aftermarket extended warranties are different but yours in particular would cover the front lower control arm rebuild (when needed) as well as a air compressor rebuild? I want to make sure i know what to look for when negotiating on the warranty. Not so sure basic powertrain/engine would cover the common problems is see with these LR3s...

Lan1201

^correct I'm fairly sure but you'd have to be sure to read these things carefully.

Thank you siiiiiir! I have my eye on two in Houston right now. Quick question which would be a good thread topic (I think), how come there are no aftermarket fabricators that make lower control arms for these rigs yet(other than the one thats almost identical to LRs)? Too small of a market? I wish Camburg or Icon would make them but it seems they mostly do UCAs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94