Grape Solar

unseenone

Explorer
I just wanted to say a few words about Grape Solar. I purchased a couple of their 100W flex panels about this time last year, as well as several other brands to do testing, and work on a commercial vehicle solar kit I am thinking of building.

I managed, as careful as I have been to crack a corner of the panel, and wanted to know how to keep it from getting worse, or what my other options were (sheepish).

In any event, I sent an e-mail to support, and got a response within 20 minutes from Garret. We e-mailed back and forth a couple of times. I then called him, got through immediately, and he informed me (in the first e-mail) they would replace it under the 2 year warranty.

First off, I'm not easily impressed. Second off, almost everyone is slow, slow or slower these days with support. I appreciate a quick response and being able to call someone and get through without a hassle. Finally, instead of finger pointing, having a company go above and beyond to be helpful and solve your issue is a nice feeling to have. I do recommend Grape Solar. I know at times they can be slightly higher, but good service also costs money, money well spent.

Thanks Grape Solar

http://grapesolar.com/

B

BPD53

I too have had good luck with Grape Solar. I added 300 watts to my camper and they were great. I have good luck with my panels and have called a few times with questions. The customer service has been good. I wanted to buy one more panel, but they quit making it. I think they still have good products to offer.

garrettowne

I too have had good luck with Grape Solar. I added 300 watts to my camper and they were great. I have good luck with my panels and have called a few times with questions. The customer service has been good. I wanted to buy one more panel, but they quit making it. I think they still have good products to offer.

You are probably referring to our GS-S-100-Fab36. If you send an email to support@grapesolar.com we have a couple in our warehouse and might be able to help you out.

unseenone

Explorer
Welcome aboard Garret, Thank You again.

I'm confident you could help answer questions in this section of the forum.

Last edited:

robgendreau

Explorer
I got one of their 100W panels from CostCo. Fit and finish is great, and it's quite sturdy. I took some aluminum bar and bolted on two rails, with two other rails on a pivot to make a sort of self standing frame. Works great.

unseenone

Explorer
More or less wrapped up my solar installation today. I added a Grape Solar Flex 100W panel, it's adequate to keep the vehicle topped off with the Fridge running, and Ham, but it could lose some ground if transmitting depending on how much, 2 would be awesome. One is enough, but barely. I am quite impressed with the Grape Solar flex panel version 2.0.

20150405_165957-s.jpg

At least at this point, I mounted it by using Clear Silicone RTV. This stuff is kind of like glue, but can be removed. If it doesn't hold up after curing and driving, I'll remove it and come up with another plan. I used heavy cable ties on the 4 grommets, in case it lets loose, it won't take out my wiring and the car behind me. 2 Panels are dandy like this, but I don't want to permanently block the roof space. I can deploy a panel on the ground as well. I'm not sure about piling stuff on top of a panel, or how much it could take.

20150405_170129-s.jpg

The low profile solar panel, can be seen here, as the fine white line under the light bar. The way it's laid out, the panel should generate decent power between 10am and 4pm depending on the time of year, from the sides or front, with no shadows.

20150405_170216-s.jpg

The solar controller was discussed in another thread, this was installed last year before GB went on walkabout, he is missed.

20140502_150543-s.jpg

more picture of my solar and other stuff can be found here.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Grape Solar now sells a fridge:

glacier1.1.2.jpg

Grape Solar Glacier 1.1-cu. ft. AC/DC Fridge/Freezer: http://www.grapesolar.com/portable-products/refrigerators/glacier-1-1-detail.html

Manual: http://www.grapesolar.com/images/pdf/GLACIER-1.1-DC/AC-CHEST-FRIDGE/FREEZER.pdf

Overview

The Grape Solar Glacier 1.1 is a solar compatible, 12 Volt DC or 120 Volt AC powered, chest-style refrigerator/freezer for disaster preparedness or mobile applications. Built with a steel cabinet for extra durability, the Glacier 1.1 can operate as a refrigerator or freeze down to 0 degrees F (-18 degrees C). A high efficiency DC compressor allows for reliable, worry-free performance when coupled with a Grape Solar 12 Volt PV Solar kit. An easy to read digital display and soft-touch buttons allow easy temperature adjustment. The turbo function allows the refrigerator to rapidly cool to the desired temperature while a memory function makes sure that the system returns to the desired temperature if the power is interrupted. The Glacier includes two coated baskets for easy organization of fridge/freezer contents, and steel carrying handles which can double as tie down points.
Features

1.1 cu. ft. (33 qts) of interior space
Extremely powerful 12 Volt DC compressor cooling system
Comes with DC and AC power cords
Multi-functional fridge/freezer settings
Steel cabinet, steel lid and steel handles
Digital temperature control with LED display
Compact overall size to fit almost anywhere

unseenone

Explorer
I prefer Snomaster, way better product. Stainless steel, heavy insulation, heavy duty everything. A little more money, but worth it. GS is not building that, just buying it.

normal_20150529_151353-s.jpg

penguincoder

Observer
Where did you run the wires from the panel to inside the Rover? I looked through your pictures and I couldn't find anything that stood out to me. My best guess is that you ran them to the back of the rack and then maybe inside, but from where?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior