Topper vs. Pack Rack???

taco_tay

Adventurer
Hey guys so i'm getting to the point where I need to make a decision on my truck. First off I have a 2000 EC taco. I'm trying to build a perfect rig for a daily driver as well as an awesome expedition weekend wheeler.

So...I'm torn between either getting a topper that matches my truck (the one that came with my truck doesn't) or buying/ building a pack rack. I think some of you guys call them safari racks I believe, correct me if i'm wrong. As of right now my girlfriend and I go camping in the truck every weekend in the summer and sleep in the bed under that topper. The goal is to get a roof top tent this summer. I personally cant stand the way the RTT's mounted too topper look. Just sticks up too high and doesn't look right to me. So with that being said I love the way RTT's look on pack racks. Like this one from AP.

The only problem I have is the security and functionality of the topper. I keep a lot of tools and fishing gear in the back which would sketch me out with the pack rack. I do eventually want to build a fly rod holder for my truck like my buddies COSTMAN13.

If I build one of these, mounting it on a pack rack with a RTT will be just about impossible.

Kind of in a pickle. Can I get all of your opinions and pros and cons of both the pack rack and topper? Thanks.

Raul B

Explorer
I like the way my frontrunner bed rack/rtt sit. It's low enough that with the tailgate locked none of the containers can be taken out of the bed without breaking apart the rack . I went from a shell to the bed rack. Both have its pros and cons.

9cfb4232cf8ccd5fb3f40d96a1d75ab3.jpg
bf85a4e48065f9d104eb03b95f430ef0.jpg

Raul B

Explorer
Really? Anyway you can post a few pictures? Sounds like a nice set up.
Just edited my post with some pictures. I have more if you need it. In the second picture u can see that with the tailgate up it would be nearly impossible for someone to take my gear without a lot of work

taco_tay

Adventurer
Nice dude thats a sweet setup. The only problem is my tailgate on the tacoma doesn't lock. If I could figure out a way to lock it thats definitely an option.

Raul B

Explorer
Nice dude thats a sweet setup. The only problem is my tailgate on the tacoma doesn't lock. If I could figure out a way to lock it thats definitely an option.
Your going to have to figure out how to lock it because even with a shell someone will be able to just open it and take everything.

taco_tay

Adventurer
True I guess my theory has always been out of sight, out of mind. I could always get some cable locks and lock cases in the bed. Still want to figure out a way to mount a fly rod tube on a set up like that.

thethePete

Explorer
Surely there is some type of aftermarket locking handle for your tailgate, or possibly an OEM option? I know there are lots of aftermarket options for the domestic brands...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Your going to have to figure out how to lock it because even with a shell someone will be able to just open it and take everything.
If you have a topper that the rear window locks with some reasonable level of security, you can lock the tailgate a number of different solid ways in ways for cheaper than Pop & Locks. You'd have to break the back window to open the tailgate (or steal it).

http://www.mar-k.com/tailgate_closure.aspx

This is the best thread showing a way I've done it in the past (I just mounted sliding bolts and operate them manually instead of the solenoid show here though):
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...k-writeup-lots-pics-56k-go-walk-your-dog.html

img7739.jpg

The spring loaded sliding bolts from McMaster-Carr work well and you can get ramped catches that let you close it easily and without any rattle driving down the road. You can lock them back so the tailgate works normally if you wish, too.

SL716SS_2_500.jpg

Last edited:

taco_tay

Adventurer
Those are all good options. I really want see some more pictures of your guys' rigs with either a topper or the pack rack.

robert

Expedition Leader

Pop & Lock makes locking replacement handles. I don't know if you have the backup camera but you can add a later model latch to an earlier truck and add a camera that way; that's what I did on my '05 when I changed out the crappy factory stereo and added a camera.

I went with a camper shell since I leave a lot of camping gear in the back and I stealth camp a good bit; I also travel solo most of the time. If you wanted to go with a rack it would be easy enough to skin it with some aluminum to keep items out of sight and out of the elements.

taco_tay

Adventurer
That's pretty good idea. I was thinking about maybe making it out of canvas material like the soft top shells. Kind of the best of both worlds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke