Help with Table for 2014 JKU

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Hello all,
I am interested in building simple table that fits the floor of the cargo area in my 2014 JKU when not in use. I've poured over the posts here on ExPo regarding platforms, drawers, sliders, tailgate tables, etc. but have not found any ideas on how to go about making what I have in mind. I don't need or want any fancy storage system and the tailgate tables are too small/expensive for what I need. Basically nothing more than a sheet of plywood with a matching profile of the cargo area floor that I can take out and set-up when needed. One edge will rest on the rear lip of the Jeep itself with the other supported by some sort of leg arrangement. My hang-up at the moment is how to support that edge while providing for uneven terrain and not wasting a lot of interior space with bulky/heavy legs. It needs to be strong enough to support 3/4" plywood tabletop material and various critters from the trapline while skinning; say total of 50lbs-ish. Any thoughts/input appreciated; especially if you've done something similar yourself. Thanks...Jerry

screwball48

Explorer
Honda elements had a rear storage deck that could be removed from the vehicle. There was a table leg kit that could be purchased. That sounds about what you are looking for. I have seen the leg kits available from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt24601

Honda CRVs have a similar table design. The spare tire cover lifts off and there are folding table legs mounted underneath.

Binkie

I have been toying with the idea of a custom aluminum 80/20 type frame, featuring removable platform/table, in the back of our 4Runner. Perhaps u can do the same type of thing?

The design criteria I have are:
1. Storage platform above cooler, etc. doesn't need to be overly HD, heavy items down below and limited height above anyways.
2. Lockable area below platform. If building to my normal use, security of the bulk of our possessions is important. Also would allow leaving window open with cooler in back, and keep everything safe. Hinged, yet removable, or leave in with rear seats up, maybe.
3. Removable platform to double as table. Extendable table is possible, but I don't think required in my case. Also require ability to use 3rd row seats when needed.

I will post 3d model in coming weeks. I sell alum framing, so it should help reduce cost of project.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Sounds like a neat project for sure Binkie, but way more sophisticated than I need for my use. Think I've just about got it figured out. Rather than try to fab/find legs that'll be adjustable and easy to store, I'm going to try running cables up from the outer edge of the table to the roll bar inside the cargo area. I'll install a couple turnbuckles as levelers and call it good if the geometry works. Simple, cheap, and easy to set-up when needed. Plus, I don't want something too nice just to get covered in blood and grease from the trapline. I'll post a pic when I get it completed...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior