What would I be missing/gaining...Excursion vs Sequoia??

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
LOLz. That's terrible. I thought we broke all the TTB's? Guess there still a few left on the west coast. It's a shame. They make for great little coral reefs if you pile them up right.

Get a dana 60 and sink a TTB, do it for the fishes.

4x4junkie

Explorer
^^
Clearly another someone with obvious deeply-ingrained hatred of Ford's TTB.

It's interesting how the mere mention of this suspension can provoke such virulent emotions from some people. :confused: :rolleyes: I'd sling a D50 TTB under an Ex just for that reason alone, if nothing else. Of course I would convert it to coils and extend the driverside beam though, as leaf springs have no place on a TTB.
I don't think it'll be anything close to bolt-in though. I seem to recall with the '99 models Ford reversed the position of the beam pivots (the driverside beam is now behind the passengerside beam). So you would be in for a bit of fab work if you did do this.

402xjeeper

Observer
Keep the excursion, we miss our v10 model, even though a lincoln navigator is quieter and smoother. The d [r lock actuators are easy to replace, never had trouble with power windows/switches on our 01, or my super dutys. Shocks, SD or aftermarket springs. And new front axle u joints should cure the handling/ride issues. Excursions are too soft and low, so they bottom out harshly. It sounds c [unterintuitive, but a slightly taller firmer spring/shock combo (a la f250 fx4) will ride and handle better on all but the smoothest roads.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
^^
Clearly another someone with obvious deeply-ingrained hatred of Ford's TTB.

Yeah. The TTB stands for everything that's wrong with Ford. How Ford has recently turned things around, is a miracle. Now if Dodge would scrap the interaxle disconnect and go back to proper manual hubs, I'll be able to sleep at night again. :snorkel:

justcuz

Explorer
Yes 4x4junkie, just like the picture and Agile Off Roads vans. Coil springs and good shocks. Like I said I know it's doable, BFG built a couple SuperDuty Baja chase with TTB.
Lots of folks correctly assume that stock TTB is no good in heavy trucks, that's because Ford tried to make them work with leaf springs. Dumb idea, poor execution. But with coils, good shocks and proper steering they flex real well and can be built inexpensively.
This poor thread is so derailed that the OP probably gave up even though most folks who have actually answered his question are suggesting he keep the Excursion.
Frankly a Sequoia, Expedition or Tahoe isn't even in the same class as an Excursion, one is built on a 3/4 ton truck chassis and the rest are 1/2 ton or less chassis capacity. No contest in my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles