What would I be missing/gaining...Excursion vs Sequoia??

bs1865

Observer
Currently have a 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L 4x4 that has served the family well for the 2+ years we've had it.

In order to get it ready for our summer camping and road trip travel, I need to put some more money into it, which has already been a fair amount since ownership. That has me considering moving to a newer vehicle that may require less maintenance, increased comfort while supporting the same uses we have now. The vehicle I'm most considering is a 2009-2012 Toyota Sequoia. I've also thought of a 100 Series LC, but afraid that much loss of cargo/seating/towing capacity is just too much.

Scenario...wife, 3 kids (7-15 years), sometimes lab and occasional m101a2 trailer for distance camping trips. Also haul other family - grandparents and cousins when they are around.

Uses...typical family rig around town/country, plus the dedicated road trip rig.

Camping/Road trips...State/National Parks, Mild-Moderate Mountain Jeep Trails, ski trips, beach trips, seeing the sights of Texas and the U.S.

Needs of current Excursion to strengthen it's dependability:
- Upgrade suspension & handling...springs, shocks and steering column.
- Electrical work on doors/windows/tow mirrors
- Comfort...Radio, entertainment system
- Possible off road gear...bumpers, winch, etc.

What would I gain/miss, etc from the Excursion to the 2nd Gen Sequoia? Would you continue to put money in a 13 year old Ford or upgrade to a newer model Toyota?

Thanks for your thoughts!

82fb

Adventurer
I have been looking for an excursion. How much you want? pm me details if you decide to sell.

mark

pacer

Observer
The 7.3 excision is one of those special, limited vehicles. Its like an instant classic. You'll always be able to get a second gen Sequoia.
If you don't put money into it, someone else will in a heartbeat.
You will loose mucho cargo capacity and the wife will not let you put the dog in the new car.
My $.02
Sometimes the best used car is the one you're already driving.
Make a punch list and start knocking out the things that bother you about the Excursion, you will start to love it again.

SGTCap

Adventurer
I wouldn't get rid of the Excursion for anything. Buy a second vehicle if you have to. I'd LOVE to have a 7.3 Excursion. That's one of those vehicles you'll regret selling for a lifetime.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
You'd lose:
-drive train BEEF and locker friendly axles
-simple suspension options
-the heavenly 7.3L
-room
-the manly SUV look

You'd gain:
+cabin modules that actually work.
+door chime and dome lights that aren't possessed by the debil
+window and door lock switches that aren't possessed by the debil, but need a voodoo incantation every once in a while befroe they'll work. (see also the "GM Suburban owners experience" thread for proper rituals, you'll need a chicken, frog and some sea salt)
+smoother ride
+you won't have to have your starter and alternator rebuilt every other year (for 100% reliability).
+ no more spare mag pickup in your glove box
-bills, lots and lots of bills

Last edited:

bs1865

Observer
You'd lose:
-drive train BEEF and locker friendly axles
-simple suspension options
-the heavenly 7.3L
-room
-the manly SUV look

You'd gain:
+cabin modules that actually work.
+door chime and dome lights that aren't possessed by the debil
+window and door lock switches that aren't possessed by the debil, but need a voodoo incantation every once in a while befroe they'll work. (see also the "GM Suburban owners experience" thread for proper rituals, you'll need a chicken, frog and some sea salt)
+smoother ride
+you won't have to have your starter and alternator rebuilt every other year (for 100% reliability).
+ no more spare mag pickup in your glove box
-bills, lots and lots of bills

Nice analysis...it's like you know my Excursion personally...with the voodoo electronics.

Do you mean, I'd gain $ bills in my pocket or I'd gain bills I owe by switching to the Excursion?

BushHead

Adventurer
I would never give up my X. I have the v10 and would love the 7.3. Suspension is easy and cheap to fix... I did x codes up front and bigger blocks in the rear, good shocks and it rides like a dream compared to stock. Running 295/75/16's atm but plenty of room for 315/75/16's. Yes, my inside lights and door locks don't work (auto, still works manual)..... still love it. Wife, 2 kids, take anything, pull nearly anything, its super versatile and I don't feel like I'm giving up that much gas mileage.. 10 on trails and putting around, 13 or so on the interstate.

justcuz

Explorer
Don't expect terrific mileage out of the Sequoia. Everyone I know says their mileage is the biggest complaint.
Personally I'd keep the Excursion.
There is an Excursion exclusive forum that has all the fixes in there, from suspension improvements to silencing the door chime without cutting a wire!
I am am not a Ford guy at all, (I own 3 Suburbans) but would welcome an Excursion into my fleet any day.

ExploringNH

Explorer
It depends on what you plan to use it for and how much off-road you want to do. Coming from someone who has spent a good deal of time behind the wheel of both, the Excursion is much rougher and older than the Sequoia but far more easily/cheaply modified. The Sequoia's ride and handling is light years ahead of the Ford. You do give up some off-road capability once you modify both, but in stock form, I think the Sequoia has the Excursion beat. The Excursion needs a lift to do anything. For me it would come down to how much you wanted to modify either. If you wanted a great off-road and road trip rig on a budget, I would go Excursion with some mild modifications and still end up $10,000 less than a stock Sequoia. If you had a budget of around $40-50k, then modify the Sequoia and have a blast, or drop $30k into a pristine 7.3 Ex and have a sick machine with coils on all four corners.

I don't really see it as a fair comparison since the prices of each are so far apart. For me, there would be no question - Sequoia. If I had to tow, then the Excursion but it doesn't sound like you have any heavy towing in mind.

snowblind

Adventurer
Currently have a 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L 4x4 that has served the family well for the 2+ years we've had it. The vehicle I'm most considering is a 2009-2012 Toyota Sequoia. I've also thought of a 100 Series LC, but afraid that much loss of cargo/seating/towing capacity is just too much.

In my opinion -> Wife + 3 Kids + Dog + You + Supplies = Excursion or Suburban.

Do you have the option to keep the Excursion for less frequent use and get something "cheap & economical" as a daily driver? It' might be a lot easier living with an older expedition focused rig if you have an alternate form of transportation.

Matt

Raul B

Explorer
From a former 7.3l excursion owner..... You will regret selling it once it's gone. I would no get rid of it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Don't expect terrific mileage out of the Sequoia. Everyone I know says their mileage is the biggest complaint.
Personally I'd keep the Excursion.
There is an Excursion exclusive forum that has all the fixes in there, from suspension improvements to silencing the door chime without cutting a wire!
I am am not a Ford guy at all, (I own 3 Suburbans) but would welcome an Excursion into my fleet any day.

My 07 Sequoia is 15mpg around town. Nakid no rack no trailer 70mph and under 17mpg add a tail wind 18mpg. Roof rack gear + life time trailer packed in tall utility mode. Plus two kids, dog in crate two parents and two grand parents we seem to always get 17mpg.

The version 2 Sequoias get the fancy ABS wheel spin tech which helps work around the missing locker. Mine you spin opposits and your done try try again etc.

The Toyota V8 other than the water pump and TB service is pretty much basic fluids and forget. 5spd AT seems to be just use it and go havent heard of any issues. The biggie would be passenger safety. Sequoia is pretty much king of the pile. We moved from the LC to the Sequoia for the space. As much as I miss the LC the Sequoia is the best option for hauling family and gear. Oh the Sequoia is stealth quiet compared to your rig. Neghbor has the big Expedition Diesel. I can hear him two streets over its stock too. Lol

For running cost Sequoia would be a lower cost option. It will be smaller too but still easily capable of hauling the family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94