What would I be missing/gaining...Excursion vs Sequoia??

snowaddict91

Adventurer
I would keep the excursion personally. I think a sequoia would be too small for everything you have listed. With that being said the sequoia will be miles ahead in comfort on a long drive if you can fit. And far cheaper to operate/less to maintain.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I had a 2001 Ex with about 150K on it when I sold it and I never had any of those "voodoo" electronic problems mentioned.

I'm not familiar in the least with the toyota sequoia but I know with the Ex you'd be losing a 3/4 ton drivetrain, massive amounts of passenger AND cargo space, and one of the most sought after diesels on the planet. If you decide to dump it do yourself a favor and head over to ford-trucks dot com and got to the Excursion forum. If your truck is in any kind of decent shape and the motor has anything close to reasonable mileage on it, you'll sell it in a heart beat and most likely get a stupid price for it to boot. Guys over there think 7.3s are gold plated gold.

justcuz

Explorer
My 07 Sequoia is 15mpg around town. Nakid no rack no trailer 70mph and under 17mpg add a tail wind 18mpg. Roof rack gear + life time trailer packed in tall utility mode. Plus two kids, dog in crate two parents and two grand parents we seem to always get 17mpg.

The version 2 Sequoias get the fancy ABS wheel spin tech which helps work around the missing locker. Mine you spin opposits and your done try try again etc.

The Toyota V8 other than the water pump and TB service is pretty much basic fluids and forget. 5spd AT seems to be just use it and go havent heard of any issues. The biggie would be passenger safety. Sequoia is pretty much king of the pile. We moved from the LC to the Sequoia for the space. As much as I miss the LC the Sequoia is the best option for hauling family and gear. Oh the Sequoia is stealth quiet compared to your rig. Neghbor has the big Expedition Diesel. I can hear him two streets over its stock too. Lol

For running cost Sequoia would be a lower cost option. It will be smaller too but still easily capable of hauling the family.

In all fairness you have the first generation Sequoia with the 4.7 engine.
He is looking at the newer larger 2009-2012 version. I still stand by my statement about fuel mileage on the newer version.
Lots of good input here, especially from exploringNH since he has a built up Excursion, his objectiveness about the Sequoia is well taken.
I am not as objective, since I have a few friends with auto repair businesses. Seeing how these things are all built is how I form my opinions and after looking at the frame thickness of a wrecked Sequoia, I was not overly impressed. Compared to a Ford or Chevy frame a Toyota chassis looks like it was made out of boxed double thick sheet metal.

arcteryx

Adventurer
I have thought about selling ours from time to time, only to get a pickup or possibly a newer land cruiser/sequoia. With my business, I haul more parts/cargo than people. I have realized I need a small cargo trailer as I hate dirtying the cargo area with that stuff. I have never had electrical issues like what was stated. I tow vehicles on my car hauler a decent amount, up to 7700 lbs. The Ex is very solid and reliable. I haven't done the springs, but did put on new shocks and the hellwig rear sway bar. It drives very nicely and is stable, even in tow. We are about to hit 250K and have had to replace wear/tear items- ball joints, alternator, brakes/rotors. I did put on new seat covers from the seat shop in DFW- highly recommend them. It's really nice to be able to carry our 3 dogs, kids and gear + tow a my land cruiser around. I don't think a sequoia would do that as smoothly as the Ex. The only downside is there is not a middle headrest, so I need to add one for my kid's safety. And the 3rd row never got them. Major fail by Ford IMO.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
[

Read more: http://www.trucktrend.com/features/tech/163_2011_jeep_patriot_tech_specs/#ixzz3WjlL2Ov8on. I still stand by my statement about fuel mileage on the newer version.
Lots of good input here, especially from exploringNH since he has a built up Excursion, his objectiveness about the Sequoia is well taken.
I am not as objective, since I have a few friends with auto repair businesses. Seeing how these things are all built is how I form my opinions and after looking at the frame thickness of a wrecked Sequoia, I was not overly impressed. Compared to a Ford or Chevy frame a Toyota chassis looks like it was made out of boxed double thick sheet metal.[/QUOTE]

The new Sequoia is more people hauler AKA car safety crush zone focused than the first gen, for sure plays a role in what bends in accidents. LC vs Sequoia different ball game than Suburbans and Ex's.
Comparing the current Sequoia frame to a Ex is like comparing a 1960 Mustang to the Current mustang. Very different frame and body design regarding crash performance And passenger safety. Thats just how it goes.

profro

Observer
Needs of current Excursion to strengthen it's dependability:
- Upgrade suspension & handling...springs, shocks and steering column.
- Electrical work on doors/windows/tow mirrors
- Comfort...Radio, entertainment system
- Possible off road gear...bumpers, winch, etc.

None of those things strengthen dependability. Perhaps less annoying but that vehicle, stock, is pretty danged dependable. I sold my dad's 2003 7.3 PSD Excursion and at the time it had 287,000 miles on it and it had some of the same electrical issues, but it was very dependable. Again, not sure how radio and entertainment system make a vehicle more dependable.

Kmehr

Adventurer
I've never driven either of those vehicles, but if it were me I'd keep the excursion. Those electrical gremlins sound like a real pain, but if they are common there has to be some good fixes for them. It sounds like you need the extra capabilities of the excursion anyways. Bottom line for me- I just wouldn't want to sell one used vehicle and turn around and buy another similar used vehicle. With your excursion, you know what shape its in and what most of the issues are, getting a used sequoia introduces a whole new level of unknown issues. Not saying one is more reliable than the other, you just wouldn't know the history of a Sequoia like you would the truck you already own. Just my .02.

justcuz

Explorer
Read more: http://www.trucktrend.com/features/tech/163_2011_jeep_patriot_tech_specs/#ixzz3WjlL2Ov8on.

The new Sequoia is more people hauler AKA car safety crush zone focused than the first gen, for sure plays a role in what bends in accidents. LC vs Sequoia different ball game than Suburbans and Ex's.
Comparing the current Sequoia frame to a Ex is like comparing a 1960 Mustang to the Current mustang. Very different frame and body design regarding crash performance And passenger safety. Thats just how it goes.[/QUOTE]

The Sequoia I was referring to was a first generation on the frame. Frankly I think the newer larger ones are not that good looking. I used to work with a guy the had a second generation, the mileage was not what he expected and he got a Venza.
A recent comparison of pickups also bares out the mileage issue with the Toyota V8.
Crush zones are OK but when they are finished doing their work your vehicle is totaled.
Two years ago I had a lady turn left in front of me while I was driving my 1993 Suburban. I broad sided her Camry and totaled it. Her insurance wanted to total my Suburban also, because of age and mileage, but I said no way.
I had a frame horn straightened, bought a junkyard bumper, AC condensor and core support and a new after market grille, 550 dollars later I was back on the road.
A Sequoia with a front crush zone, probably would have gone to scap with the Camry.
Keep the Excursion. Look up the website, learn to diagnose and fix the common electrical glitches.
Mustangs did not come out until 1964 as a 65 model. Your Truck Trend article is for a Jeep Patriot?

Last edited:

bftank

Explorer
i have a 2000 diesel excursion with 200k plus miles on it. its not going anywhere anytime soon.

the boat like suspension on a stock excursion can be fixed with f250 or f350 leafsprings in the front and and a mixed spring pack in the rear. i fixed mine by putting an 06 f350 dana 60 radius arm suspension and axle in. rides like a caddy with gasser f250 coils, corners way better, and turns sharper with the late model steering box. brakes much better as well too.

occasionally the door locks get possessed but not enough to bother the wife or myself.

there arent any annoying rattles or squeaks, on this truck or my 99 f350 that has 276k miles on it.

engine mods are a bigger air filter and a 4 inch exhaust. i have a chip for it, just havent put it in yet, might do that tomorrow. has plenty of power for the colorado passes we go on frequently for road trips. typically averages 16 mpg with 35s and speedometer uncorrected for tire size.

all of our stuff is paid for. oil changes are every 5k miles, tranny fluid is once a year. maintanence cost arent that prohibitive considering what you can do with it comparitively. but you already know that.

i say keep the ex.

bjowett

Adventurer
The Excursions are neat machines, always admired them. Don't count the Sequoia out so easily, though. It shares much with the 200 Series Land Cruiser, so the chassis and driveline are overbuilt and very durable.

Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
Funny that you mentioned the coil sprung/radius arm suspension conversion bftank. I have been entertaining a TTB conversion for an Excursion for a little while.
You can buy 2wd Excursions cheap, you can buy Dana 50 TTB stuff cheap, Borg Warner t-cases are in the wrecking yards.
I want to build an Agile Off Road van version of the Excursion!
OP I still say keep the Excursion. As nice as a Sequia is, you have a vehicle that is going to continue to become more and more recognized as an excellent expedition vehicle.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Funny that you mentioned the coil sprung/radius arm suspension conversion bftank. I have been entertaining a TTB conversion for an Excursion for a little while.
You can buy 2wd Excursions cheap, you can buy Dana 50 TTB stuff cheap, Borg Warner t-cases are in the wrecking yards.
I want to build an Agile Off Road van version of the Excursion!
OP I still say keep the Excursion. As nice as a Sequia is, you have a vehicle that is going to continue to become more and more recognized as an excellent expedition vehicle.

TTB?

d44ttb1.jpg

This TTB? If you put one of those turds under a fine Excusion, we're going to have to hurt you. The X already has a nice Dana 60 or Dana 50 solid axles available everywhere. You just need some nice springs and shocks to go with it. You could also rig up some sort of 2008+ Superduty front suspension maybe. But I don't see the point. The X doesn't ride that bad.

Just get some uber high quality leaf springs and shocks and call it a day. TTB? Oh, deere. The million dollar question: Does Ford use the same frame on 2wd's and 4wd's or did they also go full retard like Chevy? Would be a nice bolt on project.

Last edited:

stom_m3

Observer
Currently have a 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L 4x4 that has served the family well for the 2+ years we've had it.

In order to get it ready for our summer camping and road trip travel, I need to put some more money into it, which has already been a fair amount since ownership. That has me considering moving to a newer vehicle that may require less maintenance, increased comfort while supporting the same uses we have now. The vehicle I'm most considering is a 2009-2012 Toyota Sequoia. I've also thought of a 100 Series LC, but afraid that much loss of cargo/seating/towing capacity is just too much.

Scenario...wife, 3 kids (7-15 years), sometimes lab and occasional m101a2 trailer for distance camping trips. Also haul other family - grandparents and cousins when they are around.

Uses...typical family rig around town/country, plus the dedicated road trip rig.

Camping/Road trips...State/National Parks, Mild-Moderate Mountain Jeep Trails, ski trips, beach trips, seeing the sights of Texas and the U.S.

What would I gain/miss, etc from the Excursion to the 2nd Gen Sequoia? Would you continue to put money in a 13 year old Ford or upgrade to a newer model Toyota?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I can't provide much input on the Excursion but I do have a 2010 Sequoia that I use as the family travel, camping, off-road vehicle. I personally love my '10 Sequoia Limited. You can see some of my mods/trips on my thread;
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-lifted-w-tires-and-wheels!?highlight=sequoia
Here are my thoughts;
- I think you will miss the size of the Excursion. I don't have a point of reference of the Excursion but I know I love the fact that I can be a lazy packer with the Sequoia (wife + 2 kids ages 4&10). So if you are used to the Excursion gargantuan sizing, going to anything less can be, well, less. That said, the Sequoia will be easy to maneuver relative to the Excursion. I've been on many steep switchbacks and shelf roads with no problems though some Austin Power type U turns were necessary :). It's not jeep sizing.
- The third row seats have an amazing amount of room even for an adult. The second row of seats has even more. Both 2nd and 3rd row seats recline making travel more enjoyable. The 2nd row also slides forward. Obviously, when the 3rd row is up, cargo space in the back is very limited.
- Gas mileage with my lift and larger tires is 11 combined, 13.5 hwy. Keep in mind that this is with crappy California gas.
- Plenty of power but I don't tow anything.
- There were some comments on frame. The Sequoia is a body on frame. The frame is fully boxed front to back. I personally think it's a beefy frame. I put on frame sliders which added more stiffness.
- There is very little aftermarket support for the Sequoia except for items shared with the Tundra (A-pillar forward). More is coming out for it but still limited. Obviously a world vehicle like a Land Cruiser has lots of aftermarket support but it is smaller. I actually prefer the size layout of my Sequoia vs. LC. Both have pro/cons
- The 4wd system is very versatile. 2wd, 4wd hi, 4wd low, locking center (open front/rear diff but w/ electronic A-Trac). ARB does make a locker for the front which it shares with the LC200. The rear is a custom sized diff (10" I believe). Jowett Engineering was looking into making a locking diff for it. Don't know where he is with it.
- The suspension is fully independent so articulation will be limited if you want to do any rock crawling. I've had my Sequoia on the back side of Cerro Gordo which was pretty torn up and it did well. I had a small issue with gas tank clearance over some rocks but was able to rock stack to clear. I plan to do Swansea and Lippincott in May which should take it up a notch but I also plan on getting skid plates for the gas tank prior. I have Total Chaos upper control arms which add additional droop travel.
- The SR5 and Limited both use springs for front/rear suspension, the Platinum uses airbags for the rear. Something to consider depending on the modifications you want to do.
- All in all, the Sequoia was built tough. From the fully boxed frame, versatile drive train, to the 1-1.25" diameter steering tie rods. I love mine... well, except the gas mileage and aftermarket support.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Sequoia. I have a small Baja Rack for the roof that I use to add carrying capacity. In your case, you may need a larger roof rack.

steven

rabbiporkchop

Adventurer
Currently have a 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L 4x4 that has served the family well for the 2+ years we've had it.

In order to get it ready for our summer camping and road trip travel, I need to put some more money into it, which has already been a fair amount since ownership. That has me considering moving to a newer vehicle that may require less maintenance, increased comfort while supporting the same uses we have now. The vehicle I'm most considering is a 2009-2012 Toyota Sequoia. I've also thought of a 100 Series LC, but afraid that much loss of cargo/seating/towing capacity is just too much.

Scenario...wife, 3 kids (7-15 years), sometimes lab and occasional m101a2 trailer for distance camping trips. Also haul other family - grandparents and cousins when they are around.

Uses...typical family rig around town/country, plus the dedicated road trip rig.

Camping/Road trips...State/National Parks, Mild-Moderate Mountain Jeep Trails, ski trips, beach trips, seeing the sights of Texas and the U.S.

What would I gain/miss, etc from the Excursion to the 2nd Gen Sequoia? Would you continue to put money in a 13 year old Ford or upgrade to a newer model Toyota?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I would honestly keep the Excursion if it is rust free

justcuz

Explorer
TTB?

d44ttb1.jpg

This TTB? If you put one of those turds under a fine Excusion, we're going to have to hurt you. The X already has a nice Dana 60 or Dana 50 solid axles available everywhere. You just need some nice springs and shocks to go with it. You could also rig up some sort of 2008+ Superduty front suspension maybe. But I don't see the point. The X doesn't ride that bad.

Just get some uber high quality leaf springs and shocks and call it a day. TTB? Oh, deere. The million dollar question: Does Ford use the same frame on 2wd's and 4wd's or did they also go full retard like Chevy? Would be a nice bolt on project.

Yes that TTB, but remember I said I would like to convert a 2WD Excursion to TTB, NOT modify an existing 4wd one.
Agile Off Road does it with Ford vans and I can't imagine an Excursion being loaded as heavy as most camping vans are.
No need to threaten to hurt me as it would be an improvement over a 2wd Excursion, plus it would be a fun experiment.
To be honest it is not new ground being broken here, BFG had some SuperDuty chase trucks built for Baja that were TTB. From what I heard they worked very well.
If the Excursions are anything like the early F series trucks pre 1997 then it would be a bolt in. 2WD excursions do use twin I beam front suspension like the 2WD SuperDuty trucks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94