Bottle Jack

aluke0510

Adventurer
So I have made the decision to switch to a bottle jack and on certain occasions to bring an exhaust pillow jack. Abandoning the hi-lift. I looked a while at some of the hi-lift style hydraulic and screw jacks; but, resorted to the opinion that they are only moderately better. Yes they cut down on a bit of weight but also loose some function. Safety is a bit better without needing to use the jaw breaking handle; but, common since can keep you out of the way of that. Then they still have the issue of needing to overcome the suspension droop or ratchet strapping the axle to the frame. And still tall and tipsy.

So back to topic. Yes I have looked at the Bogert system; while I feel several key items have been addressed such as the axle cradle and the base it seems the other issue of lift height wasn't. The tall height of a jack which provides the 8-10" lift to overcome a flat tire won't slide under an axle when the tire is flat. Hince why good solid scissor jacks are fantastic; I use to own an old Sears model that was geared for fast and under load lifting and was rated for like 5 tons. Collapsed to 4" and lifted to 14". I hate myself for not keeping track of it over the various moves. And I digressed again.

So I have narrowed it down to the telescoping Land Rover bottle jack (Italian made) or a telescoping SPX Power Team bottle jack (German made). New Land Rover bottle jacks are outrageous at like $300 each with used available for $50-60. My reading has lead me to believe though that the seals on these are very prone to going out and needing disassembly and replacement. This is not a hard task; but, the worry is it will go out sometime when I need it even if I rebuild it upon purchase. I ask though; what makes the Land Rover Italian jack any more or less prone to bad o-rings than any other bottle jack; is it just the engine bay temps and dusty bouncing conditions that cause rubber to degrade faster or is it the design?

On the other hand the SPX Power Team (6ton with 12" lift height and collapsed to 8.5") is a bit over $300. While I presume it is good I can't hardly find any reviews. It does have the screw to increase static height even more and weighs in at a mere 14lbs. One could easily make an axle tube cradle like bogerts and on paper seems better than the Land Rover jack then.
http://www.spx.com/en/power-team/pd-bottle-jack-6-15t-telescoping/

Anybody have specs on the Land Rover one? Collapsed height, extension lift, load rating, weight, etc? Anybody have opinions or quality comments from real world experience with the German made Power Team jacks?

Thanks

Edit:
My bad I just noticed that only the 11 ton and higher rated jacks have the screw. Anyways still a fantastic jack on paper.

Last edited:

dumolebob

Observer
I believe the Bogart Jack system is intended to be used in conjunction with the Bogart Jack stand. Jack it up, put in the stand, Jack up again with an extension, put in a taller stand extension, etc. at least that's the way I see it being used. One w/o the other would be like wearing only one shoe... Oh, and made in the USA too!

aluke0510

Adventurer
I believe the Bogart Jack system is intended to be used in conjunction with the Bogart Jack stand. Jack it up, put in the stand, Jack up again with an extension, put in a taller stand extension, etc. at least that's the way I see it being used. One w/o the other would be like wearing only one shoe... Oh, and made in the USA too!

Yes, but why not make the decision from the start to have a jack to do it right from the go? Sure if you want to carry a jack stand in addition go for it. It just doesn't make since when other jacks solve that hinderance. Just not compelling enough. A base can be made easy with two pieces of 1/2" plywood cut to 8x10" each; cut a hole the exact size of your jack base in the top one and sandwich them together. And based on the fact that it only states "Extensions and pads are always made in the USA" would be the unsaid that the jack is not. But whether it is made in the US or not makes no difference. Just not compelling enough.

Sleam

Explorer
Is it even possible to get a good Land Rover bottle jack with all the parts these days? I have a hi-lift and hate it, so am selling it. I found an old black LR jack but no handles or anything and am not sure if it is good to use anyway. I'd love to know what you find out about the two kinds of bottle jacks. Keep us posted please, s

aluke0510

Adventurer
Is it even possible to get a good Land Rover bottle jack with all the parts these days? I have a hi-lift and hate it, so am selling it. I found an old black LR jack but no handles or anything and am not sure if it is good to use anyway. I'd love to know what you find out about the two kinds of bottle jacks. Keep us posted please, s

I don't see why you couldn't find a good one; worst case is you spend a couple hours disassembling it and putting new o-rings and seals in it. As for a handle; I don't see many for sale with a handle but that isn't hard to sort out. I haven't been to a junk yard yet though to look. I am not sure what the difference is between the black and red ones; seems to be the black ones are older than the red ones though. Any chance you can help me with some of the measurements?

aardvarcus

Adventurer
I bought an OEM Jack from FJ-60/FJ-80 Land Cruiser. It is a bottle style double extension screw jack (non-hydraulic). In my opinion it is a high quality, sturdy jack with no seals to worry about. You should be able to find one used online for less than $50.

Here are the key specs (from the other thread): Collapsed height: 7.5”; Extended height:16.5”; Weight rating: 3968 lbs. (1800kg); Stability when extended: With base on a hard surface, there was minor slop (1/4”) at the top when fully extended.; Other key features: The round top had a curved impression to seat on the axle tube.

Another decently priced commonly available option is the military Humvee scissors jack, which is a heavy duty scissors jack with a steel bottom plate and a gear reduction on the input. The jack comes with a big pin on the top which would need changed out to a some sort of jack saddle though. (Mine is sitting around waiting on this transformation.)

LR Max

Local Oaf

Yes. The bottle jack out of a RRC, D1, P28, and D2 are all pretty much awesome. When my bottle jack died, I went and "liberated" one. Excellent extension and has the axle cradle.

I think its the same jack they used in Defenders as well. So it should be able to handle up to a 33" tire easily. Handles my 235/85/16 with no issues.

Side note for my rover peeps: the emergency bag out of a D2 is super nice as well. Its just...nice. Has all kinds of cool bits you might need in a pinch.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I think we're ignoring the fact that a Hi-Lift isn't just a jack. It's a winch. It can clamp things. It can spread things. And sometimes hoist stuff. I don't know how many times I've had to clamp bent tie rods and drag links back straight. Just food for thought for when your out in middle of nowhere in quite the pickle and wish you didn't leave that Hi-Lift back home...

aluke0510

Adventurer
I bought an OEM Jack from FJ-60/FJ-80 Land Cruiser. It is a bottle style double extension screw jack (non-hydraulic). In my opinion it is a high quality, sturdy jack with no seals to worry about. You should be able to find one used online for less than $50.

Here are the key specs (from the other thread): Collapsed height: 7.5”; Extended height:16.5”; Weight rating: 3968 lbs. (1800kg); Stability when extended: With base on a hard surface, there was minor slop (1/4”) at the top when fully extended.; Other key features: The round top had a curved impression to seat on the axle tube.

Another decently priced commonly available option is the military Humvee scissors jack, which is a heavy duty scissors jack with a steel bottom plate and a gear reduction on the input. The jack comes with a big pin on the top which would need changed out to a some sort of jack saddle though. (Mine is sitting around waiting on this transformation.)

Just did some ebay searching for the Humvee jacks; had never though of that. I like those. Not as good as my old sears but those look to be about the best available scissor jacks. Something to consider very closely. I have seen the old Toyota screw bottle jacks. Thought they were interesting but kinda defaulted to I would rather be with a double extension bottle jack or a scissor jack. Still a good consideration. Do you know how much the Humvee scissor rack weighs? For an axle cradle I would invision something just like the Bogert cradle; might even be the right size.

Yes. The bottle jack out of a RRC, D1, P28, and D2 are all pretty much awesome. When my bottle jack died, I went and "liberated" one. Excellent extension and has the axle cradle.

I think its the same jack they used in Defenders as well. So it should be able to handle up to a 33" tire easily. Handles my 235/85/16 with no issues.

Side note for my rover peeps: the emergency bag out of a D2 is super nice as well. Its just...nice. Has all kinds of cool bits you might need in a pinch.

I know they are nice, used one for a Defender before. Any chance you have any measurements and weights for them? I seem to remember close to 8" ish closed and around the 15lbs. Still wondering too if the ones that have had the o-rings go out is just a very small set of people and more caused by the engine bay heat, dust, and rattling causing faster degrading of the rubber. I read several cases online but I know how this Land Rover guys are; they post up about every little detail that breaks. And it one of those things too; nobody posts up randomly that hey my jack works, or hey for some reason I was sup prised today that the jack didn't leak fluid when I used it. :)

I think we're ignoring the fact that a Hi-Lift isn't just a jack. It's a winch. It can clamp things. It can spread things. And sometimes hoist stuff. I don't know how many times I've had to clamp bent tie rods and drag links back straight. Just food for thought for when your out in middle of nowhere in quite the pickle and wish you didn't leave that Hi-Lift back home...

Yes, I understand that. But the high weight, the poor usability in automotive and overland circumstances outweigh a bunch. The kit you need to use it as a winch is far heavier and more cluttery than a hand winch. Clamping and spreading sure; but such a pain to wrestle with under a vehicle and chance of it being the only item that can fix your problem compared to being able to work something out with your jack, hammer, wrenches, ratchet straps, etc. is incredibly low. Remember the differences in overland vs four wheeling/crawling. If I was wheeling a 34" tire or larger 4x4 on tough trails (that I could ride a mountain bike through faster than driving) I would carry it... This is just my experience and opinion; lots of people carry them; I personally have decided it is best suited for my use as a farm jack. Tensioning fences, pulling fence posts, jacking up a barn, jacking up a Ford 9n tractor, etc.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Just did some ebay searching for the Humvee jacks; had never though of that. I like those. Not as good as my old sears but those look to be about the best available scissor jacks. Something to consider very closely. I have seen the old Toyota screw bottle jacks. Thought they were interesting but kinda defaulted to I would rather be with a double extension bottle jack or a scissor jack. Still a good consideration. Do you know how much the Humvee scissor rack weighs? For an axle cradle I would invision something just like the Bogert cradle; might even be the right size.

I know they are nice, used one for a Defender before. Any chance you have any measurements and weights for them? I seem to remember close to 8" ish closed and around the 15lbs. Still wondering too if the ones that have had the o-rings go out is just a very small set of people and more caused by the engine bay heat, dust, and rattling causing faster degrading of the rubber. I read several cases online but I know how this Land Rover guys are; they post up about every little detail that breaks. And it one of those things too; nobody posts up randomly that hey my jack works, or hey for some reason I was sup prised today that the jack didn't leak fluid when I used it. :)

Yes, I understand that. But the high weight, the poor usability in automotive and overland circumstances outweigh a bunch. The kit you need to use it as a winch is far heavier and more cluttery than a hand winch. Clamping and spreading sure; but such a pain to wrestle with under a vehicle and chance of it being the only item that can fix your problem compared to being able to work something out with your jack, hammer, wrenches, ratchet straps, etc. is incredibly low. Remember the differences in overland vs four wheeling/crawling. If I was wheeling a 34" tire or larger 4x4 on tough trails (that I could ride a mountain bike through faster than driving) I would carry it... This is just my experience and opinion; lots of people carry them; I personally have decided it is best suited for my use as a farm jack. Tensioning fences, pulling fence posts, jacking up a barn, jacking up a Ford 9n tractor, etc.

That's a great plan for changing tires but not so much for vehicle recovery.

fishEH

Explorer
I have 5 or 6 good used Land Rover bottle jacks, and about 2 bad ones. I have 1 in each of my 3 trucks and a few extra for use around my garage.
Got 1 from a garage sale for $10, and 1 from a junk yard(after testing good) for about $10.
These jacks are really great. A Rover jack and a chunk of 4x4 will get you squared away in most instances.

I do still carry a HiLift though. Too many uses for it not to bring it.

craig333

Expedition Leader
No problem with bottle jacks, in fact I purchased the Bogert stuff. However, in inherently unstable conditions, IE, on a hill I'd rather bail on a hi lift than try to roll out from a bottle jack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz