Looking for an expedition TRUCK

Raul B

Explorer
I average 16-18 mpg depending on what I'm doing In my truck. Currently have it set up with a frontrunner bed rack and their rtt.

5292b0b53a51e69e2a60cb0c60ef3790.jpg

It's for sale BTW :)

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I was talking with a guy yesterday who had a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 crew cab with the Eco Diesel. He swore he generally gets 28-30mpg on trips. My gripes about the F150 are the aluminum body and the complexity of the EcoBoost, both great until something goes wrong and then very expensive to fix. Not good unless you get a new truck every few years.

402xjeeper

Observer
Domestic fullsize pickups especially Fords, then dodges, are best for expedition type use due to drive train strength and available options. The5.0 ford would be better than the ecoboost, smoother throttle control and less to go wrong. Gm uses c clip reared on1/2 tons. 3/4 ton solid axle gasses would be my choice if buying new or near new. They have enough gvwr, low enough gears for larger tires, and more drive train strength. This means dodge or Ford superduty.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Domestic fullsize pickups especially Fords, then dodges, are best for expedition type use due to drive train strength and available options. The5.0 ford would be better than the ecoboost, smoother throttle control and less to go wrong. Gm uses c clip reared on1/2 tons. 3/4 ton solid axle gasses would be my choice if buying new or near new. They have enough gvwr, low enough gears for larger tires, and more drive train strength. This means dodge or Ford superduty.

Shhh. Don't tell anyone, but so does Ram and Ford...

Jack

Brewtus

Adventurer
I don't know much about Ford. However, a business client has a F150 ecoboost (the 3.5L). He's had it for about 1.5 years now and is fairly happy with it, except it gets nowhere near the advertised MPG. He says he's not gotten over 17MPG, and usually averages 13-15MPG. Probably about 1/2 city. But even on long trips, he's topping out at 17, and not 20+.

But they look like good trucks. I like the ride the few times I've been in them.

That said, looks wise, I'm still liking the Ram. RE: Ram-Runner--any info on those? Can't seem to find anything online...

This seemed like a fairly comprehensive review of the Ram-Runner vs. the Raptor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJdILE5T_NE

In general, I would steer clear of GM and Nissan, IMO, not as well put together as Toyota, Ford, and Dodge.

If you want something to last you 300k. Seriously look at a diesel. The Cummins will absolutely last forever. My dad has 250k on his '97 3500 and it's still rock solid. If you want fuel economy out of one of those, get the newer 24 valve version. The 12 valve is great for power modifications, but it won't do much better than 16 with a tailwind.

The eco-boost is a very good engine, but it hasn't been around long enough to really develop a reputation pro or con for reliability.

It's also relatively new, but Dodge now makes an eco-diesel that might be something to look at. Then you could have a full sized truck with a diesel, without the additional bulk of a 2500/3500.

sdwhipkey

Observer
I don't believe there will be a Ram Runner from the factory but the Ram Rebel should be coming out soon. Bigger tires from the factory seems to be the best option on it over the Outdoorsman. I have a 2014 Outdoorsman that has been great over the past year. the Hemi, 8 spd, and 3.92 gears are a great combo but I hear 3.21 gears are just fine with the 8 spd and might get you an MPG better. A loaded Outdoorsman with standard options like 3.92 gears, limited slip, 32 gallon fuel tank, towing package, 17in rims with e-rated all terrains, and .75" higher than other models can be had for 35k new. A nicely equipped Express can be bought for 30-32k although the discounted price is not as much as the upper levels so the SLT/Outdoorsman models are a little more bang for your buck. A truck a year or two old with low miles could be gotten cheaper but the 13+ with the 8spd is the way to go and if you are planning on keeping 10+ years over 200-300k miles you may want new or below 10k miles on a used.

I believe Ram, Chevy, Ford are all good trucks and other than an odd failure their V8s can reliably make to 300k. Dodge just happens to be my choice and is all I buy. There are allot of domestic haters out there but all of these trucks are good.

KMET

Adventurer
$6k got me a 2002 k1500 Z71 Suburban with 117k mi on it, in very good mechanical and cosmetic condition. $10-12k will get you one 3-5yrs newer with 80k mi. Seats 6 in comfort, has 30cu ft of storage room behind the 3rd row seat, has 140cu' of interior room altogether, and with the 2nd row folded and the 3rd row out, I can stuff a full sheet of plywood in the back. Or a big sofa. Or a bunch of 2x4s

suburbancargo_zpsn43mwy2w.jpg
merryXmas_zpsd944ed29.jpg

Excellent choice! I still have my 04 z71 that was my daily driver, now has over 100k miles. Last few months it's gotten some needed attention- new swaybar link/bushings, brakes, shocks, clean throttle body... Just like NEW again!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I was talking with a guy yesterday who had a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 crew cab with the Eco Diesel. He swore he generally gets 28-30mpg on trips. My gripes about the F150 are the aluminum body and the complexity of the EcoBoost, both great until something goes wrong and then very expensive to fix. Not good unless you get a new truck every few years.

You have my permission to slap that guy silly. 30mpg in a fullsize is complete BS.

My Mustang doesn't get that. And it's just a little car.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
You have my permission to slap that guy silly. 30mpg in a fullsize is complete BS.

Seems like a stretch, but maybe not a huge one. When the EcoDiesel was first released I watched a video review online and the reviewer claimed 26mpg over the course of the test in a 4WD crew cab. Don't remember where I saw the test/review, but the truck was white. Looks real good compared to my Power Wagon at 9.8mpg.

Brewtus

Adventurer

"little car"...? a 300+ HP 4.6L DOHC V8 in a car weighing 3500 lbs is not a little car.

The EcoDiesel is a 240 HP 3.0L turbo V6 with over a decade more technology than was put into your car... and it's a diesel.

Yes 30 is probably on the downhill half of the trip, but it's not "complete BS".

gtbensley

Explorer
There are plenty of claims from people getting close to 30mpg out of the Eco diesel.....haters gotta hate though. I have no doubt that it's possible if driven correctly.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If you live in a salt belt area, I would really think twice about the dodge. They are the first to get the orange scurge around here. Besides Toyotas of course. Fords seem to hold up the best.

ripperj

Explorer
I don't think 30mpg out of the 1500 diesel would be unreasonable, I had a 2010 1500 4.7 that got 21-22 if I was nice on the highway

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles