M.O.A.B trailer vs. Turtleback trailer

Pundy

I have narrowed my search down to these two manufacturers and am wondering if anyone here has seen both of these trailers and can make a comparison for me? I'd love to hear thoughts on quality, functionality, etc.

1Louder

Explorer
Are you able to visit the shops in person? That's the best way. I will say the quality of the Turtleback trailers is amazing. Dave has worked incredibly hard to make a trailer that will last a lifetime. Lots of details to the trailer that really can only be appreciated in person. I have several friends that own Turtlebacks. I have seen the M.O.A.B. Trailer as well but I have not really gone through it for a detailed comparison. The M.O.A.B. is a bit smaller. It really depends on your individual needs. Both have the side door access which I prefer vs the lid style trailers. Again it is personal preference.

Uncle Beer

Observer
Right off the bat I'd say the Moab is a much better looking trailer. It looks planned out as opposed to boxes bolted to boxes.

However I do like that the turtleback has an inyati coating. I had that on top my tool boxes of my service truck. That stuff is durable.

They have comparable features so it comes down to what fits you wants better. I think the turtleback has a larger water capacity but that's a non issue for me. Me personally, I like the Moab better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1Louder

Explorer
Right off the bat I'd say the Moab is a much better looking trailer. It looks planned out as opposed to boxes bolted to boxes.

The Turtleback is very well planned out. All the boxes just provide additional space if you require it. They are an option on top of the base model/price. It is a highly functional well thought out layout. I am not saying the M.O.A.B is not well planned out. Like we have both stated it is a matter of opinion and needs. I started with an open tub M416 with a primitive tent rack on it. That motivated me to sell it and build a bigger trailer. Mine is similar to the Turtleback design but not as robust. Unless another trailer design comes along the way I hope to buy a Turtleback some day. If I had the money I would have bought one. I will say the experience of building my own has been great. With that said I have had to rely heavily on friends to get the project completed. Hundreds of man hours have been spent.

Back on topic good luck with your choice. I know you can't go wrong with a Turtleback. Hopefully some M.O.A.B owners can chime in.

WhiteH2O

Observer
Turtleback owner chiming in. I looked at both before going with the Turtleback, but the decision was easy for me. The Turtleback simply has more features that I wanted laid out in a better system (imo), and I wanted the extra space for my family of four.

I have also had excellent support from Dave, the owner. He goes above and beyond to help me whenever I have a question or concern. I've had my trailer in places many people won't go without a trailer, and it has held up well. I think I may be one of the hardest testers of his trailers, but I don't know.

I would say that you could feel very confident going with a Turtleback if you decide that fits your needs best. Like 1Louder said, hopefully a MOAB owner can give input on one of those.

Gomer Pylot

I went through the same decision and after seeing both of them and speaking to both owners, I went with Turtleback. The Turtleback seemed to be built better and better laid out. Also, Dave, the owner of Turtleback is great to work with. I message him with questions at least once a month and he always gets right back to me. Customer service goes a long way!

1Louder

Explorer
Pundy, not sure if you are reading through all of this but one thing to ask M.O.A.B. is what is their delivery schedule? Do they stick to the initial date they give you when you give them your money. They were very late (months late) on a trailer of a person I know and I have heard of at least one other having the same issue. Does this happen all the time? No clue. I know from those that I have met and am friends with Turtleback has stuck to the delivery date. Could there be a possible exception? Sure but I have not heard of that. I hope you had or will have the opportunity to see the trailers in person. The build quality of the Turtleback is amazing.

swoope18

It's the dedication

Saw both products.

Kia and Toyota is the analogy I gave my wife.

Both will get you there, but Turtleback, the details that are there. If you can, get to Phoenix and look at both.

Happykamper

Explorer
Gotta say the guys at m.o.a.b. Tell you upfront it's a hobby, I liked there rig at first glance but did not like size cargo room or the we will get it done when we can attitude. Conversely I really liked turtle back but I must of caught Dave on a bad day. Plus I really have a hard time buying from someone who bad mouths compition. You can tell what your rig has as opposed to another politely.
In the end we bought AT Overland Chaser. They took time to show and demonstrate there product , were polite , there well built.
And yes I have had my chaser in some pretty wonky places !
Get what you want I'm sure everyone has an opinion this is just mine .

1Louder

Explorer
Gotta say the guys at m.o.a.b. Tell you upfront it's a hobby, I liked there rig at first glance but did not like size cargo room or the we will get it done when we can attitude. Conversely I really liked turtle back but I must of caught Dave on a bad day. Plus I really have a hard time buying from someone who bad mouths compition. You can tell what your rig has as opposed to another politely.
In the end we bought AT Overland Chaser. They took time to show and demonstrate there product , were polite , there well built.
And yes I have had my chaser in some pretty wonky places !
Get what you want I'm sure everyone has an opinion this is just mine .

Not sure when you talked to him. I worked in his shop for a bit and he was always gracious and polite with customers. So yes maybe he had a bad day. I have also never heard him bad mouth the competition and that he is always sensitive to that along with anyone else that reps his trailers. I don't think he has to "bad mouth" his competition. The M.O.A.B and the AT Overland Chaser trailers are very different from his. It is good that you had the ability to visit all three vendors and pick what you wanted.

You are correct with the "We will get it done when we can" from M.O.A.B based on an experience an owner I know had. They were 4 months behind on delivery. Dave has worked very hard to put 1st class components into his trailers. They do not compare to what some other manufacturers include with their trailers. So while going through a tour of a trailer he will point out what is better and what he thinks is better. I haven't heard him ever bad mouth anyone and my first experience with him was as a regular potential owner.

Anyway, I doubt I was in the shop the day you came by so no way to evaluate what was said. From what I have seen, heard, and been told by other potential owners many of his competitors delivery schedules are ridiculous. 18 months? Can't give you a set date? Dave will give you a delivery date and stick to it. I have only seen on a few occasions when something didn't meet his quality standards and had to be redone where a trailer was delayed a week or two. So I would give him the benefit of doubt and say he was having a bad day or had some time constraints during your visit. Hopefully we will see you on the trail somewhere. Dave was a huge help with my DIY trailer.

I think the Chaser is a great looking trailer but for me I didn't want a lid style trailer. I owned a M416 and was about to put a lid on it and then decided against it. I didn't like having to bend over all the time or deal with moving the tent or lifting the tent up. My new build is pretty big and there are certainly pluses and minuses to each style.

"You" as a buyer have to decide what meets your needs.

Last edited:

dzrtdave

Supporting Sponsor: Turtleback Trailers
Happykamper, I'm sorry if I bad mouthed the competition in your eyes. I know from years of being in sales that is not they proper way to do business, it only makes me look bad. Perhaps you did catch me on an off day, I don't know yet I do apologize. Enjoy your new trailer.

Dave

Dzrtdave from Turtleback Trailers

Happykamper

Explorer
Dave all is good, everyone has a bad day I really liked your trailer it just came down to that.
I did however follow some of your advice, like on inverter, I run a xantex also...it's a 2000 watt pure sine wave, and in your words " because I want to".
Loved the quote and use it often.
Hope you do well . As I know your build is great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles