Is there a way to bomb proof a 2004 engine?

pricey

Observer
I can't bring myself to do it. I just don't have the faith as much as I loved my two 2004 Discoveries. I'd sooner buy a 110 and upgrade everything. But I'm too busy. so it's Yota or Jeep as safety and reliability are paramount when traveling with kids. At least for me.

Thnk you all for helping answer the question

Reliability is a question of proper maintenance IMHO. My 2000 Td5 D2 has never broken down in 6 years of ownership. Neither did my 2004 td5 110 before it. But they are properly maintained. I would drive them anywhere remotely without a second thought. Also my D2 is the comfiest car I've ever driven. I'm also in my late 30's and have two kids under 3 so reliability is important.

You won't find d a Toyota, Nissan or Jeep that rides as well or is as economical as a diesel landy (we're talking older pre 2004 vehicles here - you have to compare apples with apples :sombrero:)

So each to their own. Just remember no vehicle is perfect. The slightly higher maintenance I complete on my landy is worth it to me. I love the self levelling air suspension the most. Properly maintained it's just as reliable as regular suspension but so much better for towing etc.

RickM

Observer
Pricey-

I would agree with you to a certain extent as my 95 D-90 is extremely reliable and when it is not, the solutions are easy DIY 15 minute fixes. Mostly because it sits a lot and only gets taken out on the pretty days!!

On the 03 and 04 blocks, from what I can tell, and from what I have read on discoweb, there really is some issues with tolerances, and they are simply not reliable even with the most dependable service schedules. The TD5 you have should be treated like gold, as that is for sure probably one extremely reliable rig. How you found a TD5 in an 00 disco is a miracle in itself, as I am not sure they were imported as diesel. Anyway, Per my mechanic, who was a LR service manager before starting his own LR specialty repair and fab shop, do not purchase an 04 unless it has a reman motor, or a new motor, or you will have HG issues and his quote is 4K to do the HG right.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just figured out you are in Australia Pricey. Hang on to that truck like it is gold.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
How do you do headgaskets "right" for $4k?

It either just needs gaskets, and refurbed heads ($2500-ish max)... or it needs a new block ($7k-ish or more). Not much middle ground.

I'd love to know what kind of things he's tacking on the bill...

DNTL740

Adventurer
This past summer I took one of my old blocks to a local machine shop and had top hat liners installed( o-rings, cam and bearings installed, $1500. Gaskets, bearings, heads, 4.6 innards, $1000. I did the labor myself. Now for the BIG question, IS IT BOMB PROOF? It might be, but, there still that small doubt in the back of my head that the engine will one day grenade.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
put some new sensors in. It only takes a few minutes. Or hook up a diagnostic computer and check it out. That happened to me because the connection had become dirty. cleaned it, no more issue.

pricey

Observer
Pricey-

I would agree with you to a certain extent as my 95 D-90 is extremely reliable and when it is not, the solutions are easy DIY 15 minute fixes. Mostly because it sits a lot and only gets taken out on the pretty days!!

On the 03 and 04 blocks, from what I can tell, and from what I have read on discoweb, there really is some issues with tolerances, and they are simply not reliable even with the most dependable service schedules. The TD5 you have should be treated like gold, as that is for sure probably one extremely reliable rig. How you found a TD5 in an 00 disco is a miracle in itself, as I am not sure they were imported as diesel. Anyway, Per my mechanic, who was a LR service manager before starting his own LR specialty repair and fab shop, do not purchase an 04 unless it has a reman motor, or a new motor, or you will have HG issues and his quote is 4K to do the HG right.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just figured out you are in Australia Pricey. Hang on to that truck like it is gold.

RickM, diesel D2's are common as muck in Australia. We really are the lucky country :). You can pick up an early one for around $4-5k. A good one might sting you around $10 and sometimes later models (2004) still get around $20. These are AUD prices though so divide by 100 for American $ :D

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I must be the only one with a reliable 2004 4.6L. In 130,000 miles the motor has never needed more than oil and filter changes...it's everything else that's needed tinkering to keep working right. :)

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I kept saying the same thing about my 4.0 D2. Until last week, the headgasket let go on the passenger side. Took me two days to fix. But its running better then ever now. I just put 800+ miles on it this week as well.

stevehs

I have to disagree, I've owned Jeeps, several Land Cruisers, and Land Rovers....all were very good and reliable for the most part. Seems everyone talks about Toyotas total reliability.... All of my Land Cruisers leaked oil, just like my Land Rovers. How about my 1976 FJ40 with so many Emission control problems it sounded like a Diesel at idle, overheating of cylinder #5 constantly, (due to EGR). Rust is a huge problem, interior cheap, but overall, I loved them. Same can be said about the Land Rovers, yes, they have their weaknesses too. Jeeps, very fun, extremely capable but cheap interiors and uncomfortable. The newer Land Rovers are superior to their predecessors in almost every way, let's face it, none are perfect....just drive the one that works for you, you're nuts if you think your favorite vehicle is the "Best". I really do like 'em all. You've contradicted yourself, you're going to keep driving your Trooper until it dies? Will most likely die on the trail when under the most stress & when you least expect it..you never who you might need to help you out the next time you get in trouble!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles