Is there a way to bomb proof a 2004 engine?

In comparing vehicles, the new Tacoma, a 2013+ wrangler, etc. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be economic to just buy a 2004 Disco considering the prices. I've owned two in the past. The cost savings in purchase is considerable at this point. However the 4.6 as I recall does not go the distance. I cringe at the thought of my daughter and I going on 1200mile+ adventures and clinching my azzz the whole time wondering if we are going to end up on the side of the road in the middle of no place.

is there a way to find peace of mind?

Thanks

XJLI

Adventurer
With the right amount of money, anything can be done. You can swap in a LSx motor or pay ~$5-6 grand for a Cannibal V8 motor.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
No Rover V8 will every be bulletproof. Some will last hundreds of thousands of miles, but the LS option is far superior in many ways.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
GM Gen IV V8 swap along with a 6L90E auto trans. Cost is likely to be in the $5k range if you do all the work yourself. And it has yet to be done in a late model D2 so all of the electrics would need to be sorted. It's certainly doable, and would be an awesome vehicle with 350hp on tap. But its not really a shadetree mechanic job...

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Not sure shade tree = bomb proof

Land Rover ZF transmissions last a long time.

Balance of drivetrain is solid.

Source a good 4.6L from a reputable shop and forgo all the LS 'glue' that will inherently make the truck unreliable.

In the end pro-active maintenance is the key to longevity.

da10A

Adventurer
Unfortunately, the D2 is what it is. Not only is it one of the most unreliable vehicle, they are now ar least 11 years old. That can't sum up to good expectations. Especially on trips like you plan to take. Still to date the vehicle that I loved the most to drive, but never ever would I even consider a long field trip in one.

pricey

Observer
Buy the td5 instead:sombrero:. Comparable power when chipped with a VNT and intercooler etc. And not a slipped liner to be seen :victory:

It's what I did. Now to save up for that VNT and convince the wife it's necessary...

XJLI

Adventurer
GM Gen IV V8 swap along with a 6L90E auto trans. Cost is likely to be in the $5k range if you do all the work yourself. And it has yet to be done in a late model D2 so all of the electrics would need to be sorted. It's certainly doable, and would be an awesome vehicle with 350hp on tap. But its not really a shadetree mechanic job...

Someone has one in a LR3

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Someone has one in a LR3

Never heard of it. Have a link or photos? Being pretty intimately familiar with LR3 electronics, I find it hard to believe the vehicle works as designed after the swap... But you never know it could have been completed by an electrical engineer.

Buy the td5 instead:sombrero:. Comparable power when chipped with a VNT and intercooler etc. And not a slipped liner to be seen :victory:

It's what I did. Now to save up for that VNT and convince the wife it's necessary...

I can't bring myself to do it. I just don't have the faith as much as I loved my two 2004 Discoveries. I'd sooner buy a 110 and upgrade everything. But I'm too busy. so it's Yota or Jeep as safety and reliability are paramount when traveling with kids. At least for me.

Thnk you all for helping answer the question

SoCal Tom

Explorer
In comparing vehicles, the new Tacoma, a 2013+ wrangler, etc. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be economic to just buy a 2004 Disco considering the prices. I've owned two in the past. The cost savings in purchase is considerable at this point. However the 4.6 as I recall does not go the distance. I cringe at the thought of my daughter and I going on 1200mile+ adventures and clinching my azzz the whole time wondering if we are going to end up on the side of the road in the middle of no place.

is there a way to find peace of mind?

Thanks

Is it economic sense or just desire to drive an LR? It sounds like you are comparing the cost of a used unreliable vehicle to new reliable vehicles. Why not ask what vehicle could be reliable and inexpensive?
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior