Is there a way to bomb proof a 2004 engine?

Is it economic sense or just desire to drive an LR? It sounds like you are comparing the cost of a used unreliable vehicle to new reliable vehicles. Why not ask what vehicle could be reliable and inexpensive?
Tom

Excellent question

Like many east coasters, I've always wanted to go explore the western landscapes. My daughter is now of age (6) to start making those trips along with our local east coast adventures (Florida, Carolina islands, Maine, Cape, Canada). I love Land Rovers but after owning three, I know they are many things but not reliable. I've owned many vehicles. Some never needed a thing. I'm in my late 30s, so if it was just me I wouldn't mind tinkering. But my time is highly valuable and my tolerance low for putting up with vehicle antics with my baby girl in the car.

I don't know about the Wrangler. It gets mixed views. I know if I went with the Tacoma, it would be versatile in that as a home owner a pickup is always nice and I like it a lot. But I also like the Wrangler and I loved everything about my LRs except the mpg and reliability. With a wrangler it will have a warranty and can be fixed anywhere as well as the Yota. I thought maybe there was a fix for the Rover V8 issues that would be under 6$k. But to spend nearly twice that on just an engine and then a 11 year old rig I might as well go new. I'd go with a 110 but the mechanical support is few and far between. I don't want to spend my time in hotels waiting on parts in case.

I want to be out there and not have to completely baby my rig. I think the Yota is a better vehicle by far but the Jeep is growing on me. If they made that Africa vehicle I'd buy it. I'm not a huge fan of the freedom top for safety and practical reasons.

Just my thoughts and I really do appreciate everyone's views. The Dico and 110 attract me but like some bad relationships, you just can't get back there even if you miss parts of it :)

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Excellent question

Like many east coasters, I've always wanted to go explore the western landscapes. My daughter is now of age (6) to start making those trips along with our local east coast adventures (Florida, Carolina islands, Maine, Cape, Canada). I love Land Rovers but after owning three, I know they are many things but not reliable. I've owned many vehicles. Some never needed a thing. I'm in my late 30s, so if it was just me I wouldn't mind tinkering. But my time is highly valuable and my tolerance low for putting up with vehicle antics with my baby girl in the car.

I don't know about the Wrangler. It gets mixed views. I know if I went with the Tacoma, it would be versatile in that as a home owner a pickup is always nice and I like it a lot. But I also like the Wrangler and I loved everything about my LRs except the mpg and reliability. With a wrangler it will have a warranty and can be fixed anywhere as well as the Yota. I thought maybe there was a fix for the Rover V8 issues that would be under 6$k. But to spend nearly twice that on just an engine and then a 11 year old rig I might as well go new. I'd go with a 110 but the mechanical support is few and far between. I don't want to spend my time in hotels waiting on parts in case.

I want to be out there and not have to completely baby my rig. I think the Yota is a better vehicle by far but the Jeep is growing on me. If they made that Africa vehicle I'd buy it. I'm not a huge fan of the freedom top for safety and practical reasons.

Just my thoughts and I really do appreciate everyone's views. The Dico and 110 attract me but like some bad relationships, you just can't get back there even if you miss parts of it :)

Fair Enough,
I drive an 07 Wrangler, that I bought as certified used 5 years ago. The ride is "truck like", but its never left me stranded anywhere. I drove it cross country 2 years ago, and I routinely jump in it and drive around the desert. The only work I've done to it are oil changes, a performance leveling kit and bilstien shocks. I had a 67 Bronco that was on 35s....5.0EFI etc, that I sold because my son was 4 and ready to start coming with me, and I wanted something more comfortable and safer, so I get where you are coming from. I'm not sure of your freedom top concerns, the wrangler comes with a roll cage and has done better than a 2004 disco in the crash tests http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/jeep/wrangler-4-door-suv ( you can compare crash test results on that page).
Tom

XJLI

Adventurer
Wow. Almost a $20k investment into the swap and it looks like crap and none of the OEM guages work. About what I imagined

Yup. I know it can be done, but at what cost to all of the stock electronics? You'd lose quite a bit of functionality I imagine.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Bombproof in my experience:

- Toyota 22re
- Jeep 4.0L
- Toyota 2f
- Toyota 3.4L
- Dodge 318 V8
- Cummins 12v

Those motors are bombproof, IMO.

The motor in my Trooper has 180,000 miles without failure, but it consumes 1 qt of oil a month, has valvetrain noise, and gets clogged with carbon throwing an engine check light every couple days. That said, it has not failed in 2 years of ownership or 14 years on the road. I've used it to carry my 5 family members, tow trailers and daily drive 1000 miles a month. As long as I keep it lubed (grin) it seems to want to keep going. Climbing up the bombproof scale for me every day I crank it up and it runs without driveability issues.

Land rovers are awesome, but they will ALWAYS be a poor choice if reliability is your focus. You're a good dad thinking of your kid being with you and breaking down. It's a focus for my wife and I, too. That being said, we buy our rigs accordingly. Either new enough to be covered by a warranty, or old enough to have a reputation for being very reliable. As expected, the only issue my Trooper has had is with the transmission and that's a known weak spot. As it is, all it's doing is getting "growl-y" - nothin else for the last 6 months or so. I'm just gonna run it till it dies and then put in a rebuilt ebay 5-speed.

Last edited:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Rover engines are not ALWAYS a poor choice. The 3.5/3.9/4.0 prior to 1999 will last 200K miles +.

Toyota's are no better than that gen Rover V8. Have seen a few Toyota engines self destruct.

Bomb proof? IH 345/392 that would go 400K+ before a rebuild.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Rover engines are not ALWAYS a poor choice. The 3.5/3.9/4.0 prior to 1999 will last 200K miles +.

Toyota's are no better than that gen Rover V8. Have seen a few Toyota engines self destruct.

Bomb proof? IH 345/392 that would go 400K+ before a rebuild.

ANY motor can fail for a variety of reasons...for sure. And agreed on the IH.

I'm not knocking Landy's for style, utility, comfort, etc, I'm a huge fan actually.

Regardless, if reliable cross-country transport is a goal, as the OP mentions - the marquee wouldn't be my first choice and consequently, would slide down my particular list when compared directly mile for mile in regards to affordability, longevity and trouble-free operation.

And just to be clear, remember that the OP himself brought up the fact that he was doing some cross-brand considerations between Jeep, toyota and older land rovers. I only mention my current rig (trooper) because it was ultimately decided upon after looking at land cruisers, Jeeps and Rovers in the same price range.

Last edited:

RickM

Observer
I have a 95 d-90 and have had a 2001 Disco, as well as a 2004. It is my understanding that the block is the exact same from years back. It was supposed to be a GM block and Rover purchased it. That said, it is also my understanding that some of the machining took and what not were not updated and some of the tolerances were getting loose as time went on. That brings me to my experience with our 2004. It was a total disaster. It had blown gaskets and leaked everywhere. I also understand they would slip sleeves frequently. I wanted to salvage our 04 because the really are fun to drive, but the expense to buy a rebuilt motor with "top hat" sleeves was going to cost 8K. That was the value of the car. I would have loved the option to put a GM block in, but that was not available at the time.

RickM

Observer
That's right. It was Buick. There was a special on top gear about that block not to long ago. Amazing how many cars and trucks that went into.

There is an extremely reputable LR mechanic in Dallas who mentioned seeing crazy things happening with the 2004 disco motor. Like internal bearings walking out, that NEVER walk out. It's a shame, as the 03, and 04 trucks could be really fun capable off-roaders.

jboss

Observer
Any vehicle can have problems. My 2008 Wrangler needed head gaskets and an exhaust manifold at 60K not to mention three front drive shafts and two sets of ball joints and more. My 2002 Discovery didn't need head gaskets till 97k. So people give some cars a bad rap? But very few people know anything about cars or how to work on them.

sydneyman

Observer
sitting on 225,000 miles on my 4.2 at the moment. still pulls strong. periodic head jobs and cam replacement is the key. one every 180,000 miles or so...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles