Propane Storage

Binkie

How do you guys store your small disposable propane tanks?

I was considering a pvc pipe up on the rack, with holes for ventilation. I know this would be a bit like a greenhouse, but it can't be much worse than a tank sitting on it's own in the sun. Could use white pipe to keep cooler. Any thoughts?

SmoothLC

Explorer
Before I bought a Front Runner rack w/ the propane tank mount, I used an old milk crate and filled it with other stuff on top.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I used to "store" them but I use a lot of them and have learned how indestructible they are. Toss them anywhere you would toss junk steel because that's all they are in the end.

Was thinking about this today. Was worried about the high heat inside a storage box on the roof top. But don't really want to keep them inside the truck. Thought at least a soft cooler with an ice pack might work? Maybe keep them in the cabin with AC? Other than tossing them anywhere ^^^ what else do you guys do?

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
In the drawer inside the rig year round.... winter and summer.. never had an issue with them..........

GregSplett

Adventurer
I know this rarely happens but i had one discharge in my subaru once.That was back in the days I refilled my own.

Do not use them any more it is either the 5 or the 2 1/2.

Scoutman

Explorer
How many are you needing to carry on a given trip? If you're only talking about a few just store them with the rest of your kit or find an ammo can that would hold what you need.

I'm planning on taking 3 on my trip. Will most likely only use one, unless I buy a propane heater.
Ammo can is a good idea. Got a big one too.

Binkie

Ammo can is a good idea, but water tight-wouldn't that be a heat build up hazard? And if it does start to leak, a bit of a bomb?

pluton

Adventurer
I keep them in the Pelican 1600 along with the cheap Coleman propane stove and related stuff. That travels in the car, but could travel on the roof rack also.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I like the tube / sleeve idea. You could even rig it like a cup dispenser.

I absolutely wouldn't seal them up inside anything. Better any gas leaks disperse and/or be detected early.

A fabric wine bottle tote works well enough. I've also used those reusable fabric grocery bags. Used to use a milk crate in my pickup camping days, they were just in with all my kitchen junk.

eta - btw, the 1-lb camping bottles use the same valve attachment as the taller narrower welding torch bottles. But they cost a good bit more per pound than the camping bottles.

So basically the consensus seems to be to not have them sealed in anything as pressure could build up in case of a slow leak. So how important is it to keep them somewhat cool. It says they shouldn't be stored at high temps which would definitely be the case inside a plastic bin on the roof.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I carry two, both inside the portable grill. Wrapped in socks so they don't make any(much) noise when bouncing along a trail.

Darrell

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Back when I owned a sailboat, we used to make a PVC propane holder that would mount to the rear railing with big-*** hose clamps. Glue a cap on one end and another cap (not glued) with a piece of rope to act as the lid. No risk of propane discharging in the boat or a locker. Worked great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz