225's Motovan Build.

Village Idiot
So I have a friend in Detroit who has like 5 vans. No kidding. One is even a old bread truck with a 4BT in it he uses for work. So he has a 1998 Quigley 4x4 van I am trading him for some stuff. I didn't wanna start a thread until I actually have the van, but I still don't, but will next month for sure. A date is set to meet him halfway and do the dirty.

Here is a pic of it:
IMG_20591_zpsf4d84e6a.jpg

download_20141221_112327_zpsuulavlbf.jpeg

The body is in bad shape, but how bad, I don't know yet. I know it has some rust. Maybe I'll do a body swap, or just replace the rocker panels. Since I know how to weld (TIG and MIG), I'll probably just do it myself.

Here is a laundry list of what will be coming:

UJOR front bumper.
Custom rear bumper.
OBA system.
On board water tank.
Custom roof rack w/LED light bar.
2008+ front end conversion w/ HID conversion.
Power running boards.
MAYBE a UJOR front end conversion.
Larger fuel tank.

AND THIS:

I already have some parts stacked up, and materials for welding. And a brand new Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG welder waiting for a new project!

I'm 98% finished with my TD camper, and just finished my SuperMoto. So I'm ready to roll.

Camper:

IMAG0669_zpsmjvwrexr.jpg

IMG_20150312_081039_zpsqztoiutm.jpg

Le KTM:
IMAG0471_zpspqh9bjkb.jpg

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Do you have any idea how nasty it will be working on that rusted together underneath? As long as you're ok with that...I know how you super moto guys (especially the ones who use product on your trailer tires) hate getting dirty! ;-)

Seriously though, if you think the body is rough, he underneath will be nasty to wrench on.

The real question is how do you keep a valid drivers license with a bike like that? Good Lord. :roost:

Last edited:

Village Idiot
Do you have any idea how nasty it will be working on that rusted together underneath? As long as you're ok with that...I know how you super moto guys (especially the ones who use product on your trailer tires) hate getting dirty! ;-)

Seriously though, if you think the body is rough, he underneath will be nasty to wrench on.

The real question is how do you keep a valid drivers license with a bike like that? Good Lord. :roost:

You are right on so many levels. We don't like getting dirty haha. And I imagine the bottom of the van is horrible. But I work on a boat, and we have this nifty stuff that will 100% get rid of rust. I'll just have to clean it first, then coat it, then paint it. It's like POR-15 on steroids.

Keeping my license is hard. It really is. You have to learn how to kiss a cops butt really good. :bike_rider:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Glad you saw the humor in that and did not get all tweaked.

I grew up in Detroit. It's built on a salt mine. Union Road crews have salt quotas they need to meet every winter.. Six-month old trucks have totally rusty undercarriage. You cannot tell where the bolt ends and the nut begins, they are so rusted together. Wiring connections are whole Nother problem.

I definitely understand the appeal of being able to trade your peripheral stuff for a van,...i'm sure you will make it work for you. Good luck with the rig.

I do dream about the Super Moto kit for the Gas Gas and taking it to track day.

What is your plan for simultaneously hauling bike and TD?

Last edited:

Petrolburner

Explorer
I'm thinking you could use one of those big long 4' receiver extensions that the truck camper guys use. Just remove it when the lift is in use and once it's pinned in place, put the extension back in. Are you building the lift or buying it? I have the hydraulic power pack from my wheelchair lift that I'm trying to sell. It has all the wiring and even a backup hand pump.

20150315_191205.jpg

Village Idiot
What is your plan for simultaneously hauling bike and TD?

Put the bikes in the van. There's no seats in the back. And build that lift too. Makes it easier.

I'm thinking you could use one of those big long 4' receiver extensions that the truck camper guys use. Just remove it when the lift is in use and once it's pinned in place, put the extension back in. Are you building the lift or buying it? I have the hydraulic power pack from my wheelchair lift that I'm trying to sell. It has all the wiring and even a backup hand pump.

I'm building it. I plan on putting 2 receiver hitches on the frame rails, then pinning it them. I look at the pump idea. How much you want for it?

Village Idiot
I had a Everlast TIG welder I sold a while back, and very soon replacing it with a Miller Dynasty 200 DX. My first plan is to either do the on board air system, or the roof rack.

I really like this roof rack a lot. But I wanna add a LED light bar, and a way to secure a spare tire (maybe).

ford-van-roof-rack-tread-plate_zpsslcqqeof.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne