First Timer - '88 FJ62 Build Thread

M.Burroughs

Hello everyone!

My name is Mike, and I've just purchased my first FJ (and honestly, first off-road/expedition type of vehicle... I come from the car world) and I couldn't be more excited about it.

I figured I'd make a thread as a place to both share and document my progress and ownership.

Without further rambling: my '88 FJ62.

16848737245_503cbf99b4_o.jpg

I can't say I'm very knowledgable when it comes to these trucks. I've learned a bit here and there, read through the FAQ, and have down my own googling to make sure I'm in a position to purchase one, but past that, there's a lot to learn about their intricacies.

I think I've purchased a relatively sound truck, although I'm still trying to assess if I over-paid for it. $3700 brought her home (Orange County, SoCal), and I've put in a few afternoons of work cleaning it out, fixing lots of little things, removing tint, and other simple tasks.

16641430017_367f79dbd4_o.jpg

It has 270,000 miles on the odometer, which no longer works, so it's anyone's guess as to how many miles it really has. But overall, it's a good starting platform, at least for my first FJ. The body is straight, and the undercarriage is perfect. The truck has some pretty serious rust at the top of the windshield, but I haven't been able to find anywhere else (floor boards, body mounts, rockers, fenders, rain rails, etc) so despite that, I bought it. I do intend on cutting the rust out, but it'll be a very intense project that I'm going to push back for now.

16661375730_d0f918d85b_o.jpg

The first change I've made is a new set of tires - the 245/75/16s that were on it were worn out and cupped, so I called my friends at Nitto for a set of Tera Grapplers. I went with 285/75s, which are bigger than I meant to order, but I think I'm happy in the end. If anything, it's an excuse to lift the truck slightly, and replace some worn suspension components while I'm in there.

16847690661_d994018e90_o.jpg

The interior is probably the truck's worst part. While everything is there and works, it's both rough and dirty. The driver's seat is torn, but everything else is in decent condition - mostly dirty. Stains on all of the seats, and the headliner is surprisingly dirty as well. The carpet in the back is nearly black, but overtime I'll piece together some nicer bits; however, I don't want a truck that is too lean to use. The rear seat came with a camo seat covert that was removed in short order.

16847599012_f6dcef8c07_o.jpg

In all, I couldn't be happier with the truck and the purchase. I've had a lot of fun in the few days I've owned it, and I'm anxious to do a bit more maintenance and to start exploring.
Next on the list is to get rid of the awful wheels, and potentially a slight lift and overhaul of the suspension.

M.Burroughs

I took the 62 for a shake-down run this weekend, its first outing off-road (at least during my ownership.) A friend of mine with an J100 joined me in the climb to Santiago Peak, which I am confident a few of you are familiar with. It was a killer time, and the truck did astoundingly well.

land-cruiser-pair.jpg

tumblr_nm1slnyhuz1qg83ixo1_1280.jpg

FJ62-Land-Cruiser-1988-trails-overlanding-socal.jpg

FJ62-Land-Cruiser-1988-socal-santiago-peak.jpg

FJ62-Land-Cruiser-1988-articulation-off-road-rocks.jpg

FJ62-Land-Cruiser-1988-climb-hill-truck-wagon.jpg

land-cruisers-santiago-peak-trails.jpg

santiago-peak-march-2015-views-trees.jpg

emily-toyota-land-cruiser-1988-fj60-fj62.jpg

FJ62-Land-Cruiser-1988-santiago-peak-top-lookout-view.jpg

FJ62-Land-Cruiser-1988-woods-trail-camping.jpg

santiago-peak-mountains-hills-trees-forest-state-park.jpg

1988-toyota-land-cruiser-FJ62-trail-mountains-pass.jpg

1988-toyota-land-cruiser-FJ62-overlanding.jpg

1988-toyota-land-cruiser-FJ62-california-sunset-santiago.jpg

I really want to tackle a suspension overhaul, as it was obvious the truck needs it after this trip.
As said before, I'm far more familiar with road car running independent suspension front and rear, so pardon me if this is a silly question:

What's the best route to take with suspension? I noticed that the truck loves to shake itself to death over the rocky paths, whereas the J100 could fly down the trails. I don't mind taking things slow, but I'd love to smooth out the ride over some of the more trivial terrain. Will a suspension overhaul take care of this? I was eyeing the OME Dakar setup - or should I be looking elsewhere?

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Really nice '62! I agree that the wheels look out of place though--makes it look too much like a Matchbox toy.

I'm a big fan of the OME stuff. They really transform the ride. I'm in a spring-over vehicle but I imagine they do a good job with the spring-under applications too. For cost savings, I just ordered OME front spring packs and shocks all around and put an add-a-leaf in the back. It does really absorb the bumps much better than the stock suspension. I still remember Peterson's review of the OME kit on a solid axle 4runner and them saying something like it "flexes like a soft prezel".

Enjoy the FJ--very iconic, but with overdrive!

Arktikos

Explorer
Fancy photos. Yes, the wheels must go. Nice looking truck, and the blacked out grille looks OK too. With the suspension, a leaf spring setup is always going to be harsh. Shouldn't be shaking though. New springs, bushings and shocks should make for an improvement.

mapper

Explorer
Funny. I'll be the oddball here. I actually noticed the wheels straight away and I liked them...I usually really dislike aftermarket and "blingy" type truck wheels but I thought those looked really good and somewhat unique. Feel free to send me a PM if you go ahead and ditch them.

Nice photography. Looks like it will be a fun project.

zelseman

Observer
Good looking cruiser! I think you paid about market value for yours. I look forward to seeing your progress!

UMphreak95

Observer
Super siked that I get to follow yet another one of your builds! I've always been amazed with the cars you've put together, cannot wait to see whats in store for this thing.

Chaser88

Observer
Awesome 62 Mike! Stoked to follow your build thread on here. Been a long time follower of you on Stance Works as my brother (@Rickashay) and I are into the car scene as well. We drool while gazing through your photos and great write ups on Stance Works, we even rock our Stance Work T-Shirts on occasion haha. Hopefully one day we will get to meet up on the trail! Cheers
Chase

bpcopeland

Hey Mike! I was on StanceWorks all the time when I owned my e28. Welcome to Expedition. I'm excited to see your creativity enter into the off-road world.
-Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gen

Nice truck! Our family had an '85 60 for 25 years. Had to get rid of it, sadly. Happily a 76 is joining us soon.

I too would recommend OME. There are a lot of other options for suspension for 60s of course but OME makes quality products. If you outgrow OME, you can start looking at Fox or EFS or Koni shocks and more custom springs/leafs.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj-60-old-man-emu-install-my-tips.280692/

With those 285s, you'd want at least a 2" lift, if not maybe 3". More than that and you'll need to start changing more suspension components and it is a bigger commitment. You'll want to start thinking about dual batteries, better bumpers front/rear, maybe a winch.

I'd also look into a class on vehicle recovery if you're going to go offroad. You should learn about how and when to air down, how to use a winch, a hilift jack, etc. Just like it makes sense to take a class on how to go faster on a tracktrack, it's worth it to take a class on how to recover your vehicle safely when/if you need to.

If you haven't found them already, check out the 4WD Action videos on YT, especially Shauno who runs a 60 as you do. Specifically you may enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZJeSXh3iI

Shauno has cut the rear of his 60 out and put in a tray you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaV9wnU9rEY

https://www.youtube.com/user/4wdaction/search?query=shauno

You'll see that Australia has a lot of the best Toyota aftermarket parts.

If you want to drool at the unobtanium, check out Ronny Dahl's 79: https://youtu.be/bfGoZbZuvbA

Last edited:

M.Burroughs

Not much to share in the way of updates, but I have picked up a few goodies for the truck. I snagged a almost-new hi-lift jack, as well as shovels, an axe, and mounts/accessories for all of the above. I did some reading on what should be included in a proper recovery gear kit, so I purchased everything else to help make sure I don't find myself in a situation I can't get myself out of... hopefully.

Weekends have been busy lately, but on Sunday the girlfriend and I took the truck out to Cleghorn Ridge. Reading up, it sounded like a great place to push the truck, but also have an alternate route when my own limits were found. It was a great day out.

17768887253_48d6a9ebbf_b.jpg

17766876754_1712c384a6_b.jpg

18201801410_bc2e539a9e_b.jpg

17766864774_aa91420a96_b.jpg

Also, in my quest to rid myself of the wheels that came on the truck, I purchased a set of classic Lodio Drive wheels in 16x8. It'll take a couple of months for them to arrive from Japan, and then they'll need refinishing, but I am excited, nonetheless, to put something "period correct" on the truck.

18363114686_65390fdb03_b.jpg

M.Burroughs

Still waiting on my wheels to arrive, but there's been some happenings in the mean time.

On Friday, I put in a call to our friends at Viair and they got the truck set up with some goodies. I went with a 2on2 On Board Air system - good for tires and air tools at the moment, and air lockers down the road. I know the York pump solution is typically favored, but Viair's systems are phenomenal, and I think this is going to suit my needs excellently. I'll be doing an installation at the rear of the truck.

19278143506_1defbf4d2a_b.jpg

They also wanted to set the truck up with some lighting, and after some thinking, I felt a pair of 10" 5w Wurtons would suit the truck best. As for what they'll be mounted on...

19116466400_074fe9af2f_b.jpg

Everyone's favorite year-round Santa brought a big box today. I put in a call to ARB, and was excited to hear that they're familiar with what we do. We got them involved in the project as well, and after some decision making, I opted for the OME 3" Dakar lift, heavy duty in the front and medium duty in the rear. I went with the premium setup (greasable shackles, etc) after reading a number of threads here. I prefer to do things once and right.

19304083405_e13c33e99a_b.jpg

It sounds like the OME suspensions are the best out there for our trucks, so it was an obvious choice to talk to ARB first. While I was at it, I picked up their FJ62 front bumper / bull bar. The updated style bumper (apparently switched a few years ago) is definitely my favorite option for these trucks.
I'll be mounting the Wurton lights to the bumper. Hopefully I'll get everything installed this weekend - I'm waiting on one more box from ARB from North Carolina that contains the final lift components.

:beer::beer: Thank you Ryan at Viair/Wurton and Matt at ARB!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94