my 82 chevy 3/4 ton build

rayra

Expedition Leader
There's a lot of room between the frame rails between those tanks, up high against the flatbed. Nothing in there but a couple cross members and the fuel tank switching valve / solenoid assembly, IIRC A large rectangular but shallow tank would fit in there well enough. Call it a yard square and 4-6" deep. There's about 230cu" to 1gal. That would be 20-30gal. I never got more than 15gal into those supposed 16gal tanks on my '85 C-10. So you could replace with a tank in that spot without losing much capacity. If you get one welded up from aluminum plate, you could conceivably gain even more than your stock fuel capacity.

underdrive

jackwagon
A bit of an update... I don't have any new pics yet but I did put in some time wrenching on the truck this weekend. Some basic maintenance and I pulled the ammo can holders off from under the bed. Now I have a question on what to do about the fuel tanks.... they are the saddle style tanks that are outside the frame rails and I am not sure if I should leave them in place or convert it to a single tank mounted on the flatbed? I don't think they will get bashed, but that is my concern. I know that they would be just as vulnerable if I had a standart pickup bed on it but I just wanted to get some input from people that use similar trucks like Chilliwak. Thoughts?
thanks in advance guys
Leave the flatbed empty, if for no other reason than the fact that in-bed fuel tanks are legal for refueling only and not as part of the vehicle's own fuel system (I guess they're worried about them being ripped off in an accident which would leave torn fuel lines and fuel spilling all over the place).

You should have lots of space between the driver-side frame rail and the driveshaft. That is where the factory front tank lives on the next generation trucks. That tank can be had in 34-gallon size, she's about 62" long, 17" wide, and 14" tall. And of course tapers down in the front to slide under your cab. Part # GM22B by Spectra. May not be hard at all to install one of those...

Tho in the interest of increased fuel capacity I'd personally probably add the aforementioned tank if it's not too much work AND leave the saddle tanks where they are now after caging the heck outta them - 2"x2"x1/4" square tubing takes quite a bit of force to bend, even more if you go for 2"x3"x1/4" laid on its side to serve as full-length rock sliders. 1/8" diamond (for looks) plate on the outsides between the slider and the upper bar of the cage will keep just about anything from puncturing the tanks in from the side. Skid-plate the bottom however you see fit.

Bojak

Adventurer
Your good with stock location in my opinion. Fuel in flatbed will make your center of gravity change for the worse, especially in off camber situations.

Mr. Moore

Observer
thanks for the input guys! I think sliders with some plate is the route to go. Id rather not mess with moving/relocating the tanks if I don't have to. I don't plan on rock crawling with the truck, but you never know what a trail could throw at you. This truck will mostly see forest service roads and some trails.

Mr. Moore

Observer
So, a bit of an update. I was able to work on the truck a bit more. Trying to get her ready for her maiden exploration trip in a few weeks over in central Oregon. I was able to button up a few exhaust leaks, got the timing and carb dialed in so she is running top notch now. I still need to build some shackles for the front suspension and weld up mounting brackets for my large ammo cans and gas can to mount them on the bed along with mounting some larger storage boxes. I was able to prime and paint my wheels today so no more rusty chrome wheels! I love the new look.http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/s...Uploads/image_zps3sh0j3fs.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

underdrive

jackwagon
That looks pretty darn good!

Is the front supposed to ride that low? Seems a bit 2wd-ish as far as ride height goes... Or I'm just too used to jacked up 2wd trucks of that body style, lol

Mr. Moore

Observer
The truck does have a forward rake to it. I am going to lift the front end about 2.5 inches to get it level with the back end.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Chilli, I have actually read through your build already! I have actually been thinking of building removable camper for it (although not as big as yours😄) love what you have done with your truck!

Thank you sir. If I can give you any help let me know...:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94