cobra 19 DX lV Question

ismael D

Adventurer
Does the antenna need to be grounded? I get a better signal when I hold it the antenna
I get more static when I'm running the engine how can reduce that?

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Yes it needs to be grounded. More static is not a bad thing. It means it's hearing more. Now to reduce ignition noise I'd suggest reviewing http://www.k0bg.com for ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prerunner1982

Adventurer
If by grounded you mean the antenna mount has a nice clean metal connection to the body.. YES.... if you mean as in wired to the negative battery terminal.. NO.

How is the radio being powered? If you have it into the fuse box or into the cig lighter/power socket trying powering it directly from the vehicle battery, this may help in the static/whine you hear when the engine is running.

ismael D

Adventurer
The positive on a power socket 12v. Negative on the ground. I was going to connective directly to the battery just little more work to run the wires. I will round the antenna today.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Yes, it's definitely best to wire the radio unit directly to your battery.
Mounting the antenna up high as possible greatly helps reduce static and improve signal too (top of the vehicle roof (or roof rack) is best... A hood, fender, or side of body mount can be OK, but bumper, tail light bracket, and tire carrier mounts are best avoided).

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Running radios off a 12v socket is a bad idea. Run a cable to the battery only. Fuse that as in manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ismael D

Adventurer
Thank guys
I will run wire to the battery to cb. My antenna is mounted on the camper shell on the back coner and will be grounded.

4x4junkie

Explorer
If your shell is fiberglass, that could be why you were having the issue you mention in your OP.

The antenna needs to be attached to a significant metal mass for it to work correctly (a piece of ground wire doesn't work well at radio frequencies, instead the wire tries to become part of the antenna itself (due to inductance), throwing your antenna's SWR out of whack). Attaching the antenna directly to the metal body of the vehicle is best.

ismael D

Adventurer
Well I ground the antenna and the engine noise is gone. look like there is no body using the cb radio. But I did one person in ch6 look like he is far keep braking up.
O I for got to mention the cable I have is for two antenna. Is that would held to get a better signal.
Is any body locally want to try out ther cb radio. I want see how clearly is my.
Tustin CA

4x4junkie

Explorer
If you have single antenna, then you need a single cable for it. Two antennas (duals) works better only if you spend virtually all your time on paved highways (truck driver, etc).

Do you have a SWR meter or something to check your antenna match with?

ismael D

Adventurer
If you have single antenna, then you need a single cable for it. Two antennas (duals) works better only if you spend virtually all your time on paved highways (truck driver, etc).

Do you have a SWR meter or something to check your antenna match with?

No

4x4junkie

Explorer
Probably one of the best investments you can make is a SWR meter, even if you think you'll only use it once (chances are you won't... if you ever have an antenna issue in the future or you relocate the antenna, etc., you'll always have it on hand). There's really no other way to know your antenna is working as well as it should without an SWR meter.

http://www.amazon.com/METER-Radio-Antennas-Jumper-cable/dp/B002KRME3C
http://www.amazon.com/ASTATIC-PDC1-Workman-jumper-CX-3-PL-PL/dp/B00HMDQ4RQ (shows power output also)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne