Daily Driving an 89 RRC

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Anyone have an opinion on the potability of daily driving a 1989 Range Rover??? I found a pretty nice on with under 100,000 cared for miles on it. It's really tempting, but the old 3.9 V8 has me wondering if it would just be a bad idea...

Last edited:

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Ha just double checked and it is fuel Injected!! I had not really payed attention to if it was fule injected or not untill you said that just how the body and frame looked.

154.jpg

pricey

Observer
They're great. Join a rover specific forum and male sure it's maintained appropriately. We have www.aulro.com in Australia and it's the best. Plenty of advice on rangie's and all other rovers to boot.

nick325i

Adventurer
It looks clean from the under the hood shot. I would just go over it closely, change all the fluids and etc unless they can prove they've been done recently.

I think you could daily drive it as long as your commute is pretty short. I love driving mine. I would daily drive it but due to the nature of my work I have to make regular trips from SA to Austin, Houston, College Station and etc.

If that particular one doesn't work out, I know someone in New Braunfels with a clean 95' LWB for sale.

sydneyman

Observer
mines a dd. 220,000 miles and counting. its the 4.2 as well which is said to be less reliable given its more "stressed" nature. go for it. life is too short to drive boring cars.

RANGEROVERSURFER

PM sent on RRC for DD from Tony in Alaska

I sent You a PM regarding your inquiry...

I have several LR's RRC, Disco Series 1....and I personally think if You really like LR's and You seem that You do...and are willing to put in your time and care for them with PM preventative maint...

then Rovers are Loyal...and are always giving back...recently I had the good fortune to refurbish a 1990 LR RRC that was on the verge of getting parted out...and I saved it from a certain death....

and it was hands down one of the best things that I have ever done...I just recently sold it to a very good friend of mine...and I know that He will enjoy that Rig with his Family and that they will have great memories with it...and the brotherhood of Land Rover ownership is what is really really cool.

when I drive my Land Rover down the mountain thru the snow...or on some fire trails or even to the Blockbuster with my kids and wife...I really love cruising with the Land Rovers...and look forward to my Wife enjoying her new to us Disco Series 1....that my good friend Jack has been kind enough to refurb for us...

If You buy a solid Rig...and take care of her......You will not regret it....I never have....THX:REAdvRockClimber:

bri

Adventurer
My biggest concern about daily driving where I am, especially if it is a long daily commute would be HVAC. Heating in the older RRC that I have had, has problems with subzero temps and cooling has problems with 100+ temps.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Go for it. I hear people bad mouthing the ignition on the distributor trucks but I think its fine. Do your homework.

Other than that, look for other things that wear out as a vehicle ages. Shocks, seals, bushings, etc. Roll out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier