New user with a Quigley E350

DougsE350

Observer
Hi all!

Figured I would do an introduction post on here and start documenting my E350 build.

A little background on me: I love turning wrenches, racing, and generally doing anything that involves an engine. Currently addicted to LeMons racing (its insanely fun) http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

I wasn't even planning on buying a 4x4 van but this one kind of fell into my lap. There is a semi local impound auction every month that has a pretty good mix of vehicles. I got wind of a 460 F350 box truck that caught my interest. So I loaded up my trusty 3500 Ram van and set off.
myeAQDR.jpg

Started to tour the cars when I saw a van that looked a little bigger than normal off to the side behind a few other cars. The F350 I was looking at was beat to death, so the van drew my full attention. Turns out its a E350 4x4 by Quigley that came in from a felony traffic stop. Decided that I had to have it an ended up $800 poorer but one E350 4x4 van richer! With a jumpstart it drove up on the trailer, the interior was full of the better part of a Scion Tc. I mean doors, roof hatch and a full interior. After a somewhat sketchy drive home it was back at HQ.
OIKePcr.jpg

I promptly got the van nearly buried in the mud to test the 4wd system. To pass inspection it will need a windshield, Rear side glass, fix the horn, replace the front brakes and fix the exhaust leak. It has some rust but nothing too surprising or structural. Thank goodness for the plasma cutter. Also threw on some 235/75/16's I had for my 88 F350 to quickly get some more traction.

kZojPZa.jpg

vg3oeYX.jpg

fGgHASU.jpg

(note the thats all surface rust. I plan on pulling the whole shebang and powdercoating it)

Specs on the van 330k miles, D60 front, 10.25 rear, 4406 transfercase, 5.4 triton engine. Engine seems pretty tight but the trans is a little iffy, will probably pull and rebuild.

So now begins the build out, my plan is to make a fully capable tow rig for a racecar and golf cart that I can use as the mobile race team HQ. The van also needs to be able to recover parts vehicles from various fields, swamps and forests. Not to mention be comfortable for 12hr drives to various events around the country. (Drove my 3500 Ram Van 8k miles to races this year so comfortable is relative)

I am planning on 1-2 rows of seating with one row being a fold down bed, mini fridge, gas grill on back doors, tow mirrors, roof deck for spotting cars, an awning, built in generator, kick azz radio and extra lighting. Nothing too crazy but enough to keep me busy as I normally fab everything in house. Hope I can show some decent progress here over the next few months. My 3500 van will still serve as the main tow rig for 2015, planning on having this ready for the February race 2016.

Last edited:

DougsE350

Observer
New windshield went in today, while it was out I wire wheeled and painted the window frame. There wasn't much rust, but I wanted to stop it. I ordered the wiring harness to install a Double DIN radio that is capable of running my planned speaker system and external system for track parties.

x0PFWmr.jpg

DougsE350

Observer
Found a Chevy conversion van at the junk yard with all the seats still in it. So now I've got the swivel captains seats, and reclining sofa bed.

DougsE350

Observer
So I cant get tags on it until May-ish.
That just means I have more time to work on it! Looks like my list for passing inspection is:

Service brakes front and rear
Repair horn (inoperable)
Fix Exhaust leak
Fix emergency brake
Possibly fix gear select lever. (having issues staying in park)
Replace passenger rear passenger side window

and I think thats it. I also have new speakers coming this week to replace all 4.

truckeedude

I'd start by tightening the Torx screws on the end of the selector shaft.

Can you please explain this a bit more, mine has a similar issue. thanks in advance.

I am aware of the gear selector switch on the trans shift input shaft but that has 2 8mm hex head bolts.

FinSport

Doug, great find!

If you have the first row of seats behind the driver/passenger installed, how much room (length) do you have for a bed? I'm trying to decide between an RB and EB.

Thanks,
Findley

DougsE350

Observer
I dont have any seats installed right now.

Tmrw I get the state inspection done, installed all new front brakes in preparation.

On another note it looks like a new transfer case will need to be tracked down soon. 4x4 isnt working properly, pretty sure the selector fork has gone bad.

When I pull the T case I am planning on doing a 3" lift using earlier diesel coil springs, new adjustable links and shocks up front. Gathering parts now for that

I am also fairly certain the steering Quigley used on the mid to late 90's conversions is 88-97 F350 parts. My 88 F350 setup looks identical... Parts are way cheaper on the aftermarket then from Quigley.

DougsE350

Observer
Alright so the van failed inspection the first time around for... a broken leaf spring.

So I snagged two low miles used ones to get the van back together for now, sending it back in for inspection this week.

When it comes back Ive got a new 50" LED light bar for the front and some other little goodies to spruce it up.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Can you please explain this a bit more, mine has a similar issue. thanks in advance.

I am aware of the gear selector switch on the trans shift input shaft but that has 2 8mm hex head bolts.

Under the dash if you look up towards the steering column, there are two torx screws at the end of the selector shaft which are prone to coming loose. If they're loose, the gear shifting gets mal aligned causing all sorts of problems.

DougsE350

Observer
Well Ive been driving the van for a while now, and the drivetrain is definitely showing its age. 330k and who knows how much abuse wasn't kind to the 5.4. The hunt for a diesel van to serve as a donor has led me to this...
ZouTbF0.jpg

Its a 97 e350 chassis with a 7.3 and the massive rear mount tank.
Im hoping to pick it up this weekend but it looks like I may be building a 4x4 shortbus camper:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior