12 V vacuum recommendations?

chickadee

Adventurer
I was wondering if any of you have recommendations for a 12 V vacuum to be used on extended vehicle based adventures. My husband and I have an 80's series and AT Chaser trailer and would like to manage the sand / dust / dirt during our trips. I am hoping for something that is compact, light, reliable and functional. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

LeeWhay (Chickadee)

snowblind

Adventurer
My husband and I have an 80's series and AT Chaser trailer and would like to manage the sand / dust / dirt during our trips. I am hoping for something that is compact, light, reliable and functional.

I'm not sure you will find a 12V vac that is powerful enough. Most 12V vacs are pretty weak.

Have you considered a wet/dry vac? Will you pack along any cordless tools on this trip? Milwaukee and DeWalt both make vacs for their 18V batteries.

Expect 10-20 minutes run-time per battery. Milwaukee offers a 12V charger for their 18V system that would allow charging in the vehicle

A rechargeable home vac is another option. You will need an inverter to charge the battery. Here is a nice looking 20V unit from Black&Decker.

Matt

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Before you all flip out......I know this is not helpful (but funny?)

710cFbP0mHL._SL1500_.jpg

anyway, it is what I use (no batteries required!)

Have you considered a rechargeable handheld vacuum? Something you could charge off a power inverter or so? These tend to be more powerful (and useful) than a 12v model.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I've got one of these cheezy little vacs:

http://www.amazon.com/Shift3-12V-Canister-Outdoor-Vacuum/dp/B002AKF9W2
Shift3-16430620042-12V-DC-Canister-Vacuum-P13750129.jpg

Got it years ago - it was on the clearance rack at the auto parts store. I think paid 10 bucks or some such for it. It works okay. Not great though - it's underpowered. Amazingly, it's like...I dunno...7 or 8 years old and still works.

I wouldn't recommend it. It was worth the 10 bucks, but I'd really like to have something with more power.

Kinda had my eye on one of the American made MetroVac units. I think they actually invented the hand vac back in the 50's. They make a 120vac unit with a 500w (!) motor, and a 12vdc unit with a 130w motor. That's a pretty punchy motor:

https://www.metrovacworld.com/Metro...erformance_Stainless_Hand_Vac_AM-6BS/overview

A lot of places that sell it online, screw up and say the 12v unit has a 500w motor, which is patently stupid - that would be over 40 amps and a cig lighter is usually only rated for 10 or 15 amps. Even Amazon does it:

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-AM6BS-S...itan+Hi+Performance+Stainless+Hand+Vac+AM-6BS

See where it says, "500 watts of power with a new state of the art fan enclosed motor (12 Volt, 11 Amps)"?

Well, 12 volts x 11 amps does not equal 500 watts. The 12v unit has a 130w motor.

For a trailer with a dust problem, you'd probably be better off with the one that is a blower as well as a vacuum:

https://www.metrovacworld.com/Metro...erformance_Hand_Vac_Blower_AM-12_IDA/overview

My only gripes are, A) not wet/dry, and B) takes a replaceable bag.

If they made a 12v wet/dry vac with no special bag required, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Hell, I'll probably end up one of these days buying one anyway - just because they are ************. :)

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Check with Jonathan Hanson (if you can't find him here - you can contact him through the Overland Expo website). I seem to recall reading something from him a few years ago about a 12v vacuum that he's been really happy with (and he's a dedicated gear geek). I don't remember if it was in the Overland Journal, or if it was on his blog ExploringOverland.

AML

Adventurer
Another option although not 12v is one of the rechargeable Dyson vacs. They last about 12 min per charge. I use one to vacuum up the tent before folding it up.

MidnightRider

MidnightRider
I know you asked about a vacuum, but have you considered using compressed air to blow out the dust ?

Something like this would work with an air tank or compressor.

Attachments

• airblower.jpg
    airblower.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 22

chickadee

Adventurer
Thank you for all of your replies...

To answer a few of your questions,

We do not carry rechargable tools. I am looking for something that can be used in our Hella plugs (most likely my husband will switch out the cigarette lighter attachment for a Hella plug). We do have an inverter, but I would prefer to use a 12 V version, if it can get the job done. We sleep in our vehicle and it will be used to keep our "home away from home" clean. Until now we have used a dust pan and brush, but we plan on being remote for 3-6 weeks this summer and would like to minimize the sand / dust / dirt in our truck while keeping the weight and size down. We do have air compressors, but to really remove the sand, dust and dirt from the mattress, carpet etc, I think the vacuum will work the best.

Thank you for your recommendation of the MetroVac. It has mixed reviews, but I may try it. It looks like it may do the trick.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
I wouldn't do it. A standard home vacuum is probably about 1000-1500 watts. As posted above, a 12v vac is only going to be about 1/10th that. Probably less. Plus it's takes up valuable space.

Instead, I'd do what we did when I was a kid and we had a camper - no wax vinyl floor. If you want, you can put throw rugs or carpet runners down on top, and shake those out to clean. For the truck, rubber floor mats.

If you're stuck w/ carpet, you could use plastic runners down.

Last choice would be one of those push brooms.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've been using a 12VDC RoadPro RPSC-813 for over 7 years and it still works fine--

Strong/light and comes with hose/ftgs-etc, plugs into the dash (cigarette lighter)pwr plug/w about 10 ft of cable--google it-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior