98 Daihatsu Micro Van 4x4, 24K, Montana

mhiscox

Expedition Leader

DieselFreak

Adventurer
That thing is way over priced. This sold for $7000
http://www.japaneseclassicsllc.com/...-original-miles-excellent-condition-6995.html

I read they have anouther micro van coming in in a couple weeks

I wouldn't say it's overpriced. The van in the CL ad has lower miles, 2" Lift kit, custom rims/exhaust, Part time 4x4 and it is 10 years newer. I'd be willing to pay more for these features.

Ironically, in the so-called "green" state of CA we can't have these efficient and economical KEI vans and trucks. It seems the state is more concerned with fuel taxes and registration fee revenue than reducing emissions.

This would be the perfect thing for commuting and daily driving. So wish I could buy this thing.

laz 1

Observer
Here in Canada, the Japanese KEI vehicles can be road legal IF they are over 15 years old. This makes for some great deals.

I had a Daihatsu Hijet 4X4 MINI MONSTER truck, and a Subaru SAMBAR AWD Micro van. Both ended up with 13" wheels and gnarly tires. The Daihatsu was incredibly agile and worked great as a garden tractor, hauling 7 bales of hay at a time. My Hijet came with the 4 spd manual trans, and the 2 speed transfer case. Unfortunately, top speed was only 100 kph, although I have heard that the 5 spd models might have managed a bit more.

The Subaru Sambar MICRO van was a little jewel. Mine came with a supercharged motor, and was capable of about 120 kph, but I usually cruised at 100. Nice to have a bit of extra power in reserve. Sadly, my Sambar came with the horrible Subaru ECVT/Constant Velocity transmission, which was actually more of an electric device than a transmission. It had brushes, just like an electric motor, and if the trans went bad, there was no simple way to fix it.

I would seriously consider getting another KEI truck or van as a second vehicle. They are a real joy to drive and perfect for around town rides or even some places in the deep dirt. They are so light they tip toe through stuff that other rigs would bog down in.

Sedonut

Adventurer
Not 25 years old. The Fed's have been known to crush vehicles that get in that don't meet that requirement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior