Which Van? for light camper build, pop-top and 4x4?

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Updated story in my last post #9.

Hi Folks,

I've posted a bit around EP with other questions as my wife and I try to figure out which vehicle to use for our family of 3, possibly 4 down the line.

My father-in-law has a FWC Granby that he would have basically gifted to us. We would love to take him up on it but we have to have a crew cab truck with a long bed for it with my mountain bike hitch rack on the back - that would make the vehicle more than 22 feet long which would have us hanging off the driveway in to the street and parking on the street isn't an option. Boo - plus campers are technically not allowed in our HOA but a guy with a sprinter is getting away with it and someone else with tacoma and FWC is also in the neighborhood - I don't want to stir the hornets nest by parking this rig out front and then have my neighbors with their campers get busted.

With that we have pretty much decided on getting a van and doing some conversion to it - we like that layout better anyway. No matter what we'd get a regular wheel base non-extended van. We live on the front range in Colorado and have decided that Colorado Camper Vans will do a pop-top for us - probably the new medium height one he has. We want to eventually do a 4x4 conversion too. Camping away from traditional campgrounds is our priority but we don't need to do any rock crawling, but we definitely want to be able to travel rather quickly on the interstate and washboard BLM roads, hit some of the tamer jeep trails, and handle the snow for winter sports travel.

If our budget is under $50K over two years should we be getting:

-a 2012-214 E350 with 5.4L V8, about 20K miles, and about $17-21k

-a 2012-2015 Chevy Express with the 6.0L V8 - about $24K

-an older E350 - I found a 2003 cargo 7.3L Diesel with 109K miles for $9,900 in pretty good shape - outside is really clean but inside needs some work - all the insulation, walls, needs windows, need to find out if engine is in good shape.

All these vans have barn doors which is what I'm after. For the 4x4 conversion I could go with Colorado Camper Van doing a coil front end on Ford only for about $12K, and Boulder Off-road could do coil front end on either chevy or ford for about $15K, and if I went for a leaf front end from UJoint I'd be just under $20K.

With that much investment in the vehicle - which would you go for?

Thanks much.

Last edited:

MikeCG

Adventurer
I have a Chevy Conversion van. You could look into a high-top conversion. You can probably pick up a used one for a decent price and most of the interior will be done for you. The rear seat will fold down to a bed and they have a good TV and entertainment system in them already. If you want to have it converted to 4wd, try to stick with the Fords. From the research I have done, they are easier to convert. Your other option would be to get a newer AWD Chevy. I have seen where someone replaced the AWD unit from the van with an electronic 4x4 unit from an H2 (or H3) Hummer. I know there is a 1998 Ford High top near my parents house and the guy wants $2500 for it.... If you are mechanically inclined, I believe the U-Joint systems start at just over $7000.

http://www.ujointoffroad.com/4wdparts.html

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Eyeing a 2012 E350 with the V10 which I would appreciate here in a mountain state. About 30K miles on it...only issue is that it has a sliding door - heard you can modify the hinge so that it will clear 4x4 conversion. Anyone here able to give me the green light on that issue with the door? Seems like a silly reason to turn away from this engine and model year combo.

Thanks!

EMrider

Explorer
Go with a late model E350. Shorter wheelbase and more robust frame and body than GM.

The V10 is an excellent motor. Very reliable and plenty of power. Lousy MPG is the only downside, but you cannot have it all. You also get the touqueshift 5 speen tranny with the V10.

There are many quality 4x4 conversion firms that will do an E350 with the V10.

For $40-$50k you will be able to outfit an excellent and capable rig.

4x4 vans are great family vehicles. We bought our SMB when the kids were 6, 3 and 1. Ten years later it is still running strong and we have many fun memories of backcountry trips that will last a lifetime.

Good luck

R

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Thanks everyone...I should say that I finally made a successful search of the forum and ran across two great threads on many of my questions. I'll post pics when we've got a van.

Cheers!

05LR3AZ

Adventurer
Eyeing a 2012 E350 with the V10 which I would appreciate here in a mountain state. About 30K miles on it...only issue is that it has a sliding door - heard you can modify the hinge so that it will clear 4x4 conversion.

Thanks!

Yes, I have a modified hinge on my Ford E350. Mgmetalworks (on this forum as well) in Newberg, OR was my source.

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Normally I would be able to make my own decision on a model year vs mileage question but when so much money is being invested aftermarket it's a little paralyzing.

Fighting for our money at the moment are two 5th gen E350's with the V-10 both are short cargo vans that are finished very similarly inside.

-----2010 Silver with chrome grille, no windows out back, windowed barn doors --- $17K and 80K miles - wife likes the looks of this one the best.

-----2012 Dark Blue with commercial black grille, sliding door with window and another window opposite the door ---- $21.5K and 30K miles.

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
OK - we are just about ready to buy...might be happening tomorrow if all goes well. We really like the XLT trim inside and outside on later model 2010+ vans with the 6.8L V10. A 2010 with 80K on the odometer is available for $17K which I hope I can talk them down to $16K. It's super clean and a wonder how 80K miles have been racked up on this van. Would you guys be afraid to invest another $20-25K in it over the next two years?

Last edited:

mikracer

Adventurer
Barn doors are nice because you can hang cabinets off them if you want. You can't hang any cabinets off the slider. The slider also harder to close for some people. I also like the headlights that come with the xlt package. You can always change the chrome part of the grill if you want (or plastidip), which a lot of people do.

CCV is known for their pop tops and I've heard good things about their tops. I've priced them out and considered getting one installed, but I'm a little too far from them to make it convenient. I'm not sure about their 4x4 conversion, but I feel like you might want to leave that up to a 4x4 specific company. I've yet to hear a complaint about Ujoint or Agile Offroad. Two different types of set ups, but both very capable in their own way.

I had the same reservations as you about putting that much money into a vehicle that already has that many miles. I still have yet to get a top installed or a lift/conversion done but I still want to get it done. If you're honestly going to get use out of the vehicle, then I think it will be money well spent.

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Thanks for your replies, everyone! We purchased a 2010 E350 with the V10, cargo, and barn doors. The interior is finished really nicely with carpet over thin plywood so it should be a great blank slate for conversion. I'll start a build thread soon. Glad to get this started - we've been thinking about this for over a year now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier