2015 Sprinter 4x4 build begins

T.Low

Expedition Leader
thumbup.gif
lurker.gif

SoCalChaos

Observer
That's awesome Err!
What bike rack are you planning to use? 1up? Northshore? Or planning on something custom?
Looking forward to the build out.

Err

Observer
I use a North Shore 6 bike for shuttling but I'm planning to build a rack system for 4 bikes inside. We often travel with 2 KTM's and those will occupy the hitch in that case.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Will be following, I have been thinking of doing my own build but may just wait till you have solved any issues before I do mine. Good luck!

jfieldaz

Looks great - super clean with the tire upgrade. How do the Dura Trac's ride on the freeway compared to stock? Same size tires? We have a 4x4'passenger 144 on order and I'm trying to sort out the tire selection...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Err

Observer
The Duratracs are great on the highway, just a whisper of a rumble. We went up to 265/75-16's (just under 32" tall). I drive a lot in the snow and wet in the winter, and quite a bit in the sand and rock in the summer and the've been great across 3 sets on different vehicles now. For my uses, I don't see anything better on the market.

Doc Foster

Adventurer
Looks great with the Duratracs! SUBSCRIBED!
I had a set on my Tacoma and they served me very well offroad, though a bit noisy on the highway.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
I recommend you go to a really good window tint shop and have our windshield tinted with UV shield tint. You want to reduce UV rays coming in the huge front windshield but not tint the windshield (not making it darker).

Err

Observer
I recommend you go to a really good window tint shop and have our windshield tinted with UV shield tint. You want to reduce UV rays coming in the huge front windshield but not tint the windshield (not making it darker).

Yeah, this stuff looks very interesting for that monstrous, tour-bus style windshield on the Sprinter. The effectiveness on a parked car is debated, no personal experience. It seems that the clearest version still reduces visible light by 10%, not sure I could live with that, definitely would want to try it out first. We're commonly off-roading into remote campsites after dark and my initial reaction to prospect of less visibility is not particularly positive. Maybe the tint shop I use for the front side windows will have a car done that I can checkout for myself.

3M's website on Crystalline -
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...ucts/Automotive/Crystalline-Automotive-Films/

Motortrend did a write-up -
http://wot.motortrend.com/3ms-window-films-block-heat-uv-rays-dark-tint-77391.html#ixzz1MH2xvMJD

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Yeah, this stuff looks very interesting for that monstrous, tour-bus style windshield on the Sprinter.
That gigantic windshield, along with the matching gigantic side windows, is one of our favorite things about a Sprinter. It really pays off in the mountain scenery, where the vistas they make possible are about as good as you can get looking out the front of any vehicle.

But you're right about the heat. One memorable summer morning we left Evanston eastbound on I-80, and by noon, my wife had been driven nuts by the heat and bright sunlight coming in through her window. That led to the purchase of these:

13-06271.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/rosensunshade.php

We carry two, which works to cover all the bases; two will completely cover a T1N side window. Works a treat. (Note: Knockoffs are available somewhat cheaper with about a 10% reduction in quality.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior