2015 Sprinter 4x4 build begins

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Could this be axle wrap, and the overload leaf "clunking" against the main pack? I once had a truck that had that happening when empty, when hauling a load the clunk went away. FWIW, I used a leaf spring clamp on the leading edge of the overload leaf to apply some preload. Not an elegant solution but effective.

Per a USA MB dealer I know, MB Germany engineers surmise that something in the rear leaf springs are making the noise. Different leaf spring packs are being sent to the US dealer for install and feedback.

Jwestpro

Explorer
... the A/C barely keeps up, the suspension doesn't handle a load,

Regarding the A/C, would you expect the passenger version with 2 units to do perfectly fine? Have you considered adding a 2nd, possibly better, A/C unit?

More importantly, but probably easier to remedy, what exactly do you mean by "doesn't handle a load" ? I'm expecting this is due to your heavy-ish load behind the bumper of the 2 moto-dirtbikes bikes because it doesn't take nearly as much mass to makes things sway when it's so far behind the rear axle. The van was designed for several thousand lb load though depending on how you had it ordered. So, would you have gone for a higher spec load rating had you known and/or do you have a plan for addressing this in the future?

Proportionally, the longer 170 wheelbase may not feel whatever it is that you were referring to about the load if it's the sway from a few hundred lbs behind the bumper. Just an idea.

I'm taking lots of notes for myself from your build ;)

Err

Observer
Sorry, been off enjoying the van...

I think the main issue with the A/C is that there's almost no insulation in the van. I'm guessing that once I get it insulated, I'll be in pretty good shape. There's also the issue of my A/C randomly stopping working while I'm driving along, but that's another issue entirely.

Regarding the suspension issue. I haven't loaded it to the point of any serious instability. Rather, the spring rate is a bit low and the stance is so close to level that when you load up a bunch of gear in the back, the nose is in the air. This is most pronounced with 2 dirtbikes on the back but even just 1 and a bunch of gear puts it a bit low. I need a airbag solution but right now there are none on the market. I probably would only consider a 3500 Sprinter if I could have it with single rear wheels. No interest in a dually for a variety of reasons.

Regarding the A/C, would you expect the passenger version with 2 units to do perfectly fine? Have you considered adding a 2nd, possibly better, A/C unit?

More importantly, but probably easier to remedy, what exactly do you mean by "doesn't handle a load" ? I'm expecting this is due to your heavy-ish load behind the bumper of the 2 moto-dirtbikes bikes because it doesn't take nearly as much mass to makes things sway when it's so far behind the rear axle. The van was designed for several thousand lb load though depending on how you had it ordered. So, would you have gone for a higher spec load rating had you known and/or do you have a plan for addressing this in the future?

Proportionally, the longer 170 wheelbase may not feel whatever it is that you were referring to about the load if it's the sway from a few hundred lbs behind the bumper. Just an idea.

I'm taking lots of notes for myself from your build ;)

Jwestpro

Explorer
Sorry, been off enjoying the van...

I think the main issue with the A/C is that there's almost no insulation in the van. I'm guessing that once I get it insulated, I'll be in pretty good shape. There's also the issue of my A/C randomly stopping working while I'm driving along, but that's another issue entirely.

Regarding the suspension issue. I haven't loaded it to the point of any serious instability. Rather, the spring rate is a bit low and the stance is so close to level that when you load up a bunch of gear in the back, the nose is in the air. This is most pronounced with 2 dirtbikes on the back but even just 1 and a bunch of gear puts it a bit low. I need a airbag solution but right now there are none on the market. I probably would only consider a 3500 Sprinter if I could have it with single rear wheels. No interest in a dually for a variety of reasons.

Makes sense on the insulation for best efficiency later on.

For 3500 single, there is that option as a "super single" but not in combination with "4x4". Nor is it totally without other concessions such as still encroaching into the cargo floor area by about 1/2 as much as the standard single to dual wheel configuration. The other one is that from the factory they provide a wider rear wheel than front, thus getting a little goofy with the spare tire. One could choose super single 3500 simply for the factory built heavier duty axle and rear end but then deal with the other issues or they could simply upgrade the 2500 rear end to an effective 3500 rating which seems like s better plan for RV builds. A single tire, even if wider than spec, will have better traction than the dual for dirt and snow too.

I would think there must be some sort of air bag ad-on for the sprinters by now or something not too difficult to adapt?

Oh, about the factory super single, the 8.5" wide rear wheel used might be pretty cool for your Duratracs and put a true snow tire onto your narrower wheels ? Just an idea for the future ;) Depends on the tire width obviously.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Yessss, +1 on the Duratracs!

Yes it does look better. I saw my first one on the road last week. It looked very odd indeed; kinda funny actually, like a lift kit on a stock jeep. Bigger and wider wheels would put things back in proportion.

jungblud

Observer
Is anyone considering the sportsmobile popup roof?

Sure there is breakover and tail lengths to consider but total height is a major concern especially out East where the trail often is quite overgrown.

Or does the 4x4 sprinter come in 'metallic tree scratch' as a custom color?

karlroth

just want to say how much i'm appreciating your thread. arriving in the next few days is a sprinter 4x4 i ordered up optioned amazingly similar to yours. Plan on setting it up for camping / boondocking in a way that i can easily take all of my gear etc out and use it as a work van. Have never dun a conversion before so getting lottsa gReat ideas ! cheers !!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Sportsmobile, the company, will not put the penthouse on the high-roof Sprinter. They will only put it on the low roof. That's what they told me a year ago.

Jim, I think jungblud was meaning an SMB popup roof on a low roof Sprinter, in order to keep overall height down. I could be wrong however.

jungblud

Observer
Jim, I think jungblud was meaning an SMB popup roof on a low roof Sprinter, in order to keep overall height down. I could be wrong however.
I think that is the whole idea. Low profile until camp time. Like my J30. However I cannot justify starting with a 50k+ vehicle though. Not when diesel e350s can be had for 15k.

GR8ADV

Explorer

I am at Sportsmobile west today. I asked about how they stiffen the body after cutting the top off. He showed me the huge frame that makes up the pop top. He said it is robust to pass a vertical load crush test. That thing is crazy stout and CRAZY heavy steel and must way at least 200 lbs and maybe 250. I would expect that the issue may be handling ( or lack thereof) having 250 lbs wrapped around the top of an already tall roof with a tendency to be top heavy in its stock form. Wow.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I think that is the whole idea. Low profile until camp time. Like my J30. However I cannot justify starting with a 50k+ vehicle though. Not when diesel e350s can be had for 15k.

Mmm, diesel E350's...However, add in an $8k SMB top, $15k UJOR susp(will be much more offroad worthy than the Sprinter yes), you're near $40k already.
If Oberainger or Iglhaut could bring their triple locker setup in past MBUSA, I would have been all over that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior