2015 Sprinter 4x4 build begins

Jwestpro

Explorer
Currently I am running 50 pounds in the front and 75 pounds in the rear. There is no sway, the truck feels factory stable.

nice size, it's the mud crawler size ideal for my disco 2 ;) skinny and tall.

I assume you got E load range....why the high pressure in rear when it's essentially unloaded and 75 is only maybe 5lbs under max rating ? Seems it will make it way too harsh and for no real benefit. I could see 60 but maybe only if loaded.

My rolling weight is 7000-8000 lbs and I've generally used 52-60 psi depending on set up. The base weight of a 144 high roof 2500 is only 5700 lbs or so, maybe a fully windowed and seated passenger 144 is up to 6200 but that's still 1000 lbs less than I'm rolling this week and 52 psi is about perfect. 60 I would feel and it would also affect steering/handling over bumps.

I'm just curious if there is some design explanation here?

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Ideally, anyone will have in hand the table created by the manufacturer that shows tire capacity versus air pressure. The table will look something like this example:
Tire load-pressure chart.jpg

Then you weigh the truck at the weigh station or Cat scales to get front and rear axle weights, then use the table to decide how much air is required in each tire to handle the weight. This gives you an absolute limit, from which you can add air to firm up the handling or travel at higher speeds.

Note that the differences, can be pretty dramatic with load. The rear axle, especially, will be affected. The 80 psi specified for the Sprinter is only required for the stock tires at full capacity. If you have an empty van, there could be as little as 2000 pounds on each of the tires, and that would technically make you safe (and way more comfortable) at a little more than half that pressure. I'm personally running 53F, 58R on my T1N conversion with 215/85R16 LTX M/S2s. That seems to result in a good contact patch and sidewall shape and steady handling with a good ride.

Err

Observer
Making small bits of progress. Raining here today and trying to do my stereo install. A little bit infuriating that I built a big *** garage with a 9' tall door and a 10' tall ceiling a couple years ago and then went and bought one of the only vehicles that won't pull inside it! LOL, that's life sometimes...

I did manage to get my Aluminess ladder and Thule Hyper XL box mounted this week. The ladder appears to be of high quality and when there was a disconnect between the parts supplied and instructions included the folks at Aluminess where very helpful in getting me sorted. Naturally, I plasti-dipped the cross bars to keep the look going. There's a bit of a giant silver "X" on the box but it will soon be covered by 200W of Renogy flexible solar panels and then anything that's still showing will get the Plasti-Dip treatment. I picked this Thule box for its ability to be opened from both sides and it has a light that comes on automatically when you open the lid. When my panels are up there, I'll be able to open the box to either side to better catch the sun. Accessing via the passenger side requires the quick-sling of an etrier over the top door support. It's a little tricky but we're young and mobile.

sprinterladder-009-L.jpg

Err

Observer
Couple other randoms.

Picked up a set of Skeeter Beaters for the front windows. I've used these in the past on other vehicles, they're great for bug-infested camping.
sprinterladder-015-L.jpg

Also, totally digging on this little pocket in the passenger door. The first aid kit will come in handy, I'm sure. Seems like someone is always going down hard doing the things we do. Dislocated shoulders, broken collar bones, and even a double compound arm fracture with massive concussion have done done in the past few years. Good thing we've got bandaids :)
sprinterladder-016-L.jpg

Err

Observer
Did a bit of mock-up work on the panel bed placement and bike mounting. Gotta fab up some fork mounts, storage bins will go down the middle and boxes will be built around the wheel wells. Gonna build the bed out of 8020, hope to get that all ordered this week.

build-009-L.jpg

Err

Observer
Subwoofer and amp are coming along nicely. Yeah the box is really ugly, but it's sealed up tight and won't often be seen once the seat is back on. Running wires has been fairly easy, lots of access. I've got a little work to finish up on the door speakers but looks like the crossovers will just hide inside the door panels. Gotta love how small high-quality amps have gotten. That's a 5 channel 900W RMS amp that actually put out quite a bit more than that under testing.

untitled%20shoot-009-M.jpg

For reference -
Sub: JL TW3 10
Amp: Alpine PDX-V9

Err

Observer
You may want to put some sound deadener on the seat base! The bass will buzz the heck out of it!
Ha! Indeed, good call. Got a stack of Damplifier Pro sheets to calm down all the metal around my speakers. Still gonna shake the **** out of the passenger.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Ha! Indeed, good call. Got a stack of Damplifier Pro sheets to calm down all the metal around my speakers. Still gonna shake the **** out of the passenger.
We'll if she starts moaning and twitching be sure to note the song used. You might have a major breakthrough in opposite sex science.

tgair

ARe the wheels and emblems plastidipped or powder coated? Did you remove the emblems to paint?
Looking forward to seeing your build progress. If it's anything like your bike builds it should be pretty killer.
Thanks.

Err

Observer
ARe the wheels and emblems plastidipped or powder coated? Did you remove the emblems to paint?
Looking forward to seeing your build progress. If it's anything like your bike builds it should be pretty killer.
Thanks.
Thanks, gonna be a fun project.

Plastidip, left everything in place and peeled off the overspray. Seemed to work OK, time will tell if it's durable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior