Import Question

glr

Observer
I have a chap in LA who can get any vehicle registered. We mainly sell diesel vehicles. From our outlet in LA we will be mainly selling 300tdi rebuilt 25yr old 110's.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I read on a web sight from an outfit in Montana that sells and rebuilds Land Rovers or parts. This is their site is www.roverpartsused.com

Any way, on his web sight he says if a person imports a Land Rover, even if though it is 25 years old, it still can't be likened because it will need an EPA
test and conversion to current emission standards.

I don't understand this, because folks bring in Toyota Landcruisers and license them without problems. So what is he talking about? I understand
there is EPA regs but I thought thy were not a problem in this situation.

Thoughts?

Allen

Back to the original question- its because he didn't import a 25yr old vehicle. He brought in a bunch of blown up Candian military shells as parts. If you correctly import a complete vehicle "with its original engine" it is Epa and Dot exempt.

What Creed is saying on his site is that his "kit cars" since they have no paperwork they are treated as new vehicles and as such are required to pass emissions in certain areas due to the year model given on the titles. This is correct but epa isn't going to hunt you down-they have no "enforcement" staff to chase down individuals.

As for bringing in 1993 110's. It can be done but has to be done as follows. The truck has to have been manufactured as a left hand drive truck with a fuel injected v8. This rules out 99% of the 93 110's as the US market was the only market that got fuel injected V8's. The rest of the world got the new 300tdi's. Unfortunately switching engines wont work either as a simple VIN search will reveal what engine was originally in the truck/ same thing with a lhd conversion. If you could find such a truck you would then have to bring it up to the original US spec-full SD external cage, cats, emissions controls on gas cap etc,lights,glass etc, all imported through a registered importer and modifications done through a DOT approved contractor and subject to emissions testing by EPA @ the end-just like in RainMan.
Because of all of these hurdles I know of no one who has done this.

I do know of a 1993 Tdi Camel Trophy support truck that was able to gain legal entry and now lives in Florida. A former US Camel Trophy participant was able to get a friend @ the Land Rover factory to write the US a letter that this particular truck "exceeds" North American spec and should be granted entry. True- the man who owns it wants to stop by and drive my 130 on June 6th to see if thats what he wants to build for his "round the world" journey .

glr

Observer
not sure about make, but i know he can do land rovers. He is comming to the Uk and we are meeting on the 5/6 June.

glr

Observer
WATCH THIS SPACE!! I'm working on one right now, we have an unconfirmed offer on the table for $120,000 for it once we have used it.

mongosd2

Adventurer
I'm calling bull**** that you'll get it here 100% legally...unless your going to bring it up to US Spec...how you'll do that will interesting as the truck was intended for sale in the US, and how do you plan on having a non-type accepted engine, pass...

of course, you could swap vin#'s...but that's illegal

evilfij

Explorer
I can get any vehicle registered. Several states are incredibly easy to register pretty much anything (NH, Maine, Alabama), that does not mean it is US federal level legal.

mongosd2

Adventurer
I can get any vehicle registered. Several states are incredibly easy to register pretty much anything (NH, Maine, Alabama), that does not mean it is US federal level legal.

your right...I'll stop, there are plenty of way's of tagging a truck...

but I'm curious as to how you can bring in a 2010 diesel 110, get it past customs and what import agent gonna put their name on it...

glr

Observer
You can't bring in a 2010 vehicle. But what you can do is build a 25yr old vehicle up to 2010 spec.

mongosd2

Adventurer
I know, but you statement was very vague...I'm just curious how you plan on getting in anything with that has a non type accepted engine...

mongosd2

Adventurer
I know about the points system, I was quizzing my import agent as to how if you change the frame, can you have enough "points" for it to keep it as a n '83. He said if you don't try and tag it in the UK, you "probably" won't have any issues bringing it in...

as for the TD5 or newer engine, good luck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz