Import Question

Allen Bosely

Observer
I read on a web sight from an outfit in Montana that sells and rebuilds Land Rovers or parts. This is their site is www.roverpartsused.com

Any way, on his web sight he says if a person imports a Land Rover, even if though it is 25 years old, it still can't be likened because it will need an EPA
test and conversion to current emission standards.

I don't understand this, because folks bring in Toyota Landcruisers and license them without problems. So what is he talking about? I understand
there is EPA regs but I thought thy were not a problem in this situation.

Thoughts?

Allen

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Don't walk, RUN from that guy. I've never heard anything good about him anywhere. Google Creed Evans and see for yourself.

Allen Bosely

Observer
Rather Intersting.I'm not intersted in doing bussiness with him.

I was mainly wondering about what he was stating about the EPA
issue.

But I have an idea that what he's talking about is a bunch of BS.

I was wanting confermation I guess.

Allen

evilfij

Explorer
EPA regs are 21+ years old. DOT is 25+ years old.

If you import a truck 25+ years old with the original engine, there is no issue. However, IMHO every vehicle coming in with a non-original fitment engine possibly violates the letter of the law, however, no one seems to care. I say possibly because I can't figure out if a 200tdi or 300tdi is considered the original type replacement for a 2.25 or 2.5 N/A diesel. I think a Diesel Turbo would be a proper replacement as it is much closer (this is what I tell myself anyway). Take for example a 1965 corvette originally fitted with a 327 SBC, would a newer 350 SBC be an original type? These are the type of questions the internet can spend days debating about, but in practice don't seem to matter.

BTW x2 on Doug for importing. He is doing my 1983 110 now and worth every penny (not that he is expensive).

http://www.d-90.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25592

WoldD90

Adventurer
I went to look at a 110 crew cab that he built, for someone here in GA... From 20 feet, it looked awesome. Up close, it was very shoddy work. It was titled as a 2005 Land Rover, nothing else. Every body panel started its life on a different truck, the inside/undersides were all different colors.

The engine was a 3.5, with early RR running gear, just cobbled together. I could have done a more professional job for a lot less $ than he charged.

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
EPA regs are 21+ years old. DOT is 25+ years old.

If you import a truck 25+ years old with the original engine, there is no issue.

Don't forget, that this does not necessarily mean you will be able to register the vehicle in your state. Emissions testing is a state by state basis. a 200tdi may pass in Utah but not Colorado. Be knowledgeable about your states criteria, for the year of your vehicle.

buyrovers

Adventurer
Lots of good advice above. I am happy to give you any details and answer your specific question through email if you want as I regularly import a lot of 90's and 110's. I also keep an inventory of both pretty much all the time so if you don't want to mess with the import process you can source a trucks thats already sitting in my driveway...:)

If your not gonna shop with me, I also recommend Doug as mentioned above for handling your import process. He does a great job.

Chuck

BeachBum

Observer
Has anyone actually heard of anybody bringing in a '93? I'm curious as I live in Spain but am from California and was thinking buying a clean example and sending it home for my father. He's always wanted a 110 and fell in love with my old D-90.

I was thinking the only mods you would really need to do would be the roll cage and the correct signal colors. What about the diesel in California?

Just wanted some real world input from someone who actually might have had the experience.

Thanks.

glr

Observer
Has anyone actually heard of anybody bringing in a '93? I'm curious as I live in Spain but am from California and was thinking buying a clean example and sending it home for my father. He's always wanted a 110 and fell in love with my old D-90.

I was thinking the only mods you would really need to do would be the roll cage and the correct signal colors. What about the diesel in California?

Just wanted some real world input from someone who actually might have had the experience.

Thanks.

A gentleman I know from NY tried to bring in a 1993 tdi stationwagon. He was told by a company called Skytop rovers that they could petition it for him. To cut a long story short, after he spent tens of thousands of dollars it was refused entry and he found my details on the net, we accepted his truck back into the UK and refurbished it using a donor 1983 chassis, we then stored it for 8 months and shipped it back to him the first year the 1983 vehicles could come in.

As per 'as New' defenders for CA we hopefully will have an outlet there soon.

Last edited:

BeachBum

Observer
I was thinking the diesel would be a problem. I would have planned a Cummins conversion as soon as it arrived anyway. 25 years old and no problems with importing a diesel then, am I understanding this correctly for California?

When I was in the loop I had a pretty good grasp of emissions regs for Ag but never had to deal with "on road" as we'd call it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles