hitch mount tire carrier

cr500taco

Adventurer
Looking into getting a hitch mounted tire carrier with a integrated hitch mount on my Tacoma. Want to do a hitch mount instead of a bumper mounted one, because i want to be able to remove it, so I can use the bed of my truck with the tailgate down, like when I haul my dirt bikes. Was looking into the Tiregate ones. They are nice, but pricey. I do like all the options they have for them. Just wondering what you guys use and recommend?

Mike.rider

Observer
I built mine out of some spare 2x2 tube and a spare tire plate from ruff stuff specialties.
edd8430c44c24416294b4115115e2588.jpg
e9c762c00772a9d3f9ffb3a06a909728.jpg
338b1f3939ee77c97c50dbcd7f5436e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cr500taco

Adventurer

That's a good idea. Wonder how stable the tire carrier will be in the hitch. But, i have a hitch that I need to use. It's adjustable up and down, so I can have my trailer will ride level. Keep me posted on how your's works out.

I have a custom made one too. Still has the hitch available. Also has 2 jerry can holders. Other things could be attached as well.
In order for the carrier to sit tightly inside the hitch receiver, if needs to have a mechanism to lodge it in place.

a18801b1713e2b8a889574234f268138.jpg

beb6c3c61e48941abaf8804561809211.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have a Tiregate very simple yet well made product. Shipping cost is where it gets costly. I picked mine up in LA so no shipping $400. Very good product smart and simple design. Northern CA it was $500 retail due to thr whole shipping and 3rd party retailer taking their cut.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
the issue with those, is that they are heavy, VERY heavy. they surpass a subarus tongue weight by far with a tire and cans on it

Mike.rider

Observer
Do you have any close up pics of the carrier?

Here's a few

4ef40651521318acfcf8be3e0c287c5e.jpg

2e6ee1691c49f052336a28a8b0c1bbc5.jpg

I will try and snag some close ups this weekend. Basically I just drilled a hole and welded in a 5/8 coupler nut. The used 2x2x0.250 angle to build a u shaped cradle off the hitch bar. Then bolted on an upper "L" shaped bar with a hitch pin to hold it upright. The the end of the L has a tire plate welded too it with wheel studs.

As for the weight the carrier is lite but the tire and gas is not. Around 150lbs all loaded up.

I also had an issue with the carrier taking up my hitch. So I had a bumper built with 2 extra receivers. One for recovery, one for a tow hitch and one for the tire carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PowerWagner

Explorer
Looking into getting a hitch mounted tire carrier with a integrated hitch mount on my Tacoma. Want to do a hitch mount instead of a bumper mounted one, because i want to be able to remove it, so I can use the bed of my truck with the tailgate down, like when I haul my dirt bikes. Was looking into the Tiregate ones. They are nice, but pricey. I do like all the options they have for them. Just wondering what you guys use and recommend?

I've got a tire gate center mount that I bought used from a forum member about two years ago. It's got the high lift Jack attachment with it. I'd be willing to part with it for say $350 or so. Works great I just didn't really use it much (funny I've learned that lesson a few times over now :)) I'm in So Cal. not sure where you are but shoot me a PM if interested.

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94